Metro in 3D

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by Thane, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Thane

Thane Well-Known Member

Well, i was going to create a thread about 3D and might as well continue a response i had here. There is a lot of misconception about 3D going around and rightly so. 3D movies, especially 2d - 3d conversions are giving game 3d a bad name. You guys are an immersive bunch im assuming, :D so i'd like to pass on the information to you i have learned after around 600 hours of gaming in 3D [which i know thanks to Steam] and learning about it over the last 9 months.

Yeah, in movies though, its very minimal 3D, your eyes are not even staring straight forward like they would in real life to view distance scenery or large structures. They don't appear large or far away. On top of that, you've got brightness and clarity issues. I wanted to take my glasses off at the last 3d movie i went too, which was a 2d-3d conversion. Now those are a gimmick!

Games on the other hand have fully customizable 3D and are quite capable of making the game world look as though it is laid out before you. It literally looks as though your monitor is a window in certain dark scenes where the scene get dark near the edges of the bezel and thus hides the bezel. They don't suffer from the brightness and clarity and motion resolution issues that 3d in movie theaters have. You can think of movie theater 3d as being like watching a play on a stage, and game 3D as being...well, the world laid out before you.

The image separation is soo low, that it almost looks like normal 2D with the glasses off. In games, the separation is high enough to cause your eyes to properly looks almost straight on when viewing distant scenery.

If you know what the screen looks like when you take your glasses off in a movie, you'll know that there is very little separation between the alternating images, making almost look like normal 2D. Contrast that with the following video and you'll see the proportional 3d strength difference between movies and games.

[YOUTUBE]9Ak_nPcNbxQ[/YOUTUBE]

Heres a comparison shot showing the spatial differences. The movies at the bottom appear almost 2D and don't have much effect on the angle you eyes have, you can see the games on a 46" screen viewing from a meter away have much more separation, and thus depth.
    [​IMG]

#1 Thane, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012