Metro 2034 in English!

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Von Streff, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    And I who promised myself to finish the Metro2033 book before the English 2034 came out! D:
    Oh, well... I guess I now have two great books to read if there ever comes a time that I do need to read books.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Only five years late. :lol:

4. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I'm getting a little confused here. I want to order the book in paperback format but amazon supposedly does not have it in paperback until November 13 of this year. Then I went onto ebay and there is a seller selling the paperback version, saying that it will be released on February 20th, the same day that the hardcover edition comes out. Does anybody here have more information concerning when the paperback edition is coming out, or perhaps if it already is out? I prefer to buy off of amazon at the moment because I plan to order other stuff with the book purchase; allowing me to get free shipping once the total comes out to $35 or more.

Thanks ;)

#4 NuclearWastE3, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
  5. Dogpatch

Dogpatch Well-Known Member

I've pre-ordered this in paperback from a bookstore I often buy from on ebay. Can't wait.

Amazon says an audio-book read by Rupert Degas will be released which is more exciting to me than the news of the book itself, so I'll very much be looking forward to getting that! (I've listened to his Metro 2033 narration more times than I can remember.)

They state the audiobook will be released on cd/mp3 in May, but will be available on 'Audible.com' in Feb - tomorrow actually. Amazon have always seemed to me to be pretty dodgy or outright clueless when it comes to release dates so I'd take no notice of differences between something like the hardback/paperback etc. there's no reason why they'd be released at different dates especially when they're both being sold for pre-order and advertising the exact same release date elsewhere.

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

In five years you guys could have learned Russian or any of the other languages that the book was translated to much earlier; to my knowledge - that's 12. :lol: I'm just kidding, I know that most of us heard about this series after 2009, myself included. I was just lucky that the book was translated to Polish ages ago (in 2010, so about a year after the original Russian version). :p I hope they start translating the Universe series to English so all of yous can read some of those books... I'd argue some of them are on par with - if not better than - Metro 2033 and Metro 2034. ;)

#6 Bamul, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  7. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Heh. I spent 5 years learning Spanish and am still pretty awful at it, I doubt that a new alphabet would make things any easier.

8. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

You aren't missing much anyway. 2034 feels like 2033 lite to be honest. It's a good read, but not really up to par with 2033.

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

If you were learning it at school or only through really orthodox learning methods, then I'm not surprised. Best way to learn a new language is to go to an area (be it a place filled with immigrants in your country of residence) or the country where the majority speak the language you want to learn and just learn it naturally with some help from a course or two - or just ask the friendly natives. :p

Also, the younger you start out the better you'll get as children are great at learning new languages. I knew no English when I emigrated to the UK, but I was nine years old at the time so I was already able to communicate using (broken) English in a matter of months. It took me about two years to learn the language at a very good level and now that it has been over seven years, some have mistaken me for a native English speaker. ;) If you asked the foreigners who have children aged 5 or under, you'd find out that they have even greater results. Though I guess this is not very good advice as you are not a child, but at least it's a good random fact.

As for the new alphabet, it's really not that bad. I learned the Russian alphabet in a few months, though it still takes me a while to read things with proper pronunciation (nowhere near the amount of time it takes a native speaker). Then again, Polish has unique letters in its alphabet and some of them (ż, ł, ś, ć etc.) make similar or identical sounds to some of the Russian letters that you can't transliterate into English without using more then one letter or symbols that don't appear in everyday English (ж, ш, щ, ч etc.). Nevertheless, it's really not as hard as it seems - understanding the language is more difficult. Though I guess it's natural that I find the Slavic languages easier to learn whilst you'd learn Germanic languages faster than me.

Okay, went a bit off-topic there. Sorry! We actually have a thread for languages, so if anyone wants to discuss this we should do that here. It would be nice to get that thread going again. :)

Metro 2034 is much more philosophical and arguably has more complex characters, but it just wasn't as thrilling as Metro 2033 and the ending isn't as great (but I enjoyed it very much also).

#9 Bamul, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  10. NuclearWastE3

Regular

New alphabet?! So I figure Bondar's Simplified Russian Method language book from 1949 that I bought will be of no use for me now, will it? :laugh:

11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

No, no, we meant "new" as in new for everyone who isn't a native Russian speaker. :lol: As for that book, I think it wouldn't that bad since most of the changes in the language took place after the October Revolution but a few decades before World War II... don't quote me on that though - I'm no expert. :p

12. Stalker Bar

Stalker Bar Well-Known Member

I ordered the Spanish version from Amazon. It was coming from Italy, so now i have to wait a few days because i live in North America and it said it should be here in March :(
    I also am Spanish by the way

13. NuclearWastE3

Regular

:eek:

And Amazon still hasn't listed a price for the paper back version, so I'm not able to add it to cart :rant:. Hopefully it'll be fixed/available on the 20th.

14. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Paper back version of Metro 2034 is finally up for sale on Amazon! :dance:

15. Dogpatch

So...

Anyone got this/started reading yet? My copy still hasn't even been posted :mad: And it looks like the seller doesn't even have it in stock yet. I'm not a happy metro-dweller at all!

16. NuclearWastE3

Regular

What do you mean by, "you copy hasn't been posted?"

I haven't ordered my copy yet. I should have when I announced that the paperback version was released because it was pretty cheap-but Amazon has now jacked up the price-so now I have to wait.

17. Dogpatch

I mean that my book hasn't even been sent out by the seller. So it's not even in the mail on its way to me yet.

18. Dogpatch

Rather than reading the book, which has been sitting comfortably on my 'Metro display' shelf with Metro 2033 and other Metro-relevant stuff for some time now, I've been listening to the audiobook by Rupert Degas, who once again does an awesome job at Metro narration. But, I'm finding Glukhovsky tends to go off on a tangent to explain things or tell a character's history/backstory to make a point, much more often than he did in 2033, which I find quite hard to follow at times. If I was reading it rather than listening to it, I'd be lost a few times over, lol. But I'm loving being back in the Metro universe with this story.

19. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

M2034 has a lot of this, but I liked it - it's much better than just having a copy of M2033 with different characters. Not saying it's better or worse, I just liked how it felt different. When I read the book in Polish it was actually fairly easy to follow, but maybe the English translation is a bit worse. I guess it would be (harder to translate, but) yield a more accurate translation when doing it from one Slavic language to another, than from a Slavic language to a Germanic one.

On an unrelated note: I generally find translating from Polish to English easier than the other way around (in my opinion English is a language with a simpler structure, though that's debatable), but there are some expressions that just aren't possible to fully translate to a Germanic language due to how different it is. I can get the meaning across more or less, but it can often be hard to express the same feelings and connotations that come along with it due to cultural and linguistic differences.

20. TJP75

TJP75 Member

Despite some less than stellar reviews on major websites such as goodreads and some highly inaccurate synopses, I've found Metro 2034 a very entertaining story to listen to (I have the English adaptation in audio book format from Amazon). Metro 2034 is not really a sequel to Metro 2033 as Arytom is little more than a side note; 2034 is more a side-story to the events of Metro 2033. Worth reading.