Metro 2034 Fan translation

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Darkbringer, May 9, 2012.

1. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Ok guys, it seemed that there was interest in this from your side, so I decided to team up with roflwar on making a fan translation. We have been talking on translating the first 20 pages, and if it was a success, perhapse I could do more (don't know about rolfwar yet). So, here's the intro for ya'! :)

2034 AD. The world lies in ruins. Humanity is almost completely obliterated. The radiation has made the ruined cities inhabitable. And beyond their borders, it is said, lay burned-out wastelands and impenetrable, mutated forests. No one knows for sure what hides there.
    The light of Civilization is ebbing out. The memory of humanity’s former greatness slowly turns into nothing but legends and myths. Twenty years have passed since the last airplane took off from the field. Curved, rusty railways lead into the emptiness. The radio ether is empty, and the revisionists only hear a monotone sharp sound when they for the millionth time listens in on the frequencies, wherefrom New York, Tokyo, Paris and Buenos Aires used to signal from.
    Over twenty years have passed since it happened. Humanity is no longer lords of the world. The creatures that evolved from radiation are better suited for life in the new world.
    The era of humanity has ended.
    The few survivors refuse to realize this. Only tens of thousands still live, and they do not know if they are the last on the planet. They live the metro of Moscow, the greatest atomic bunker that has ever been built. Humanity’s last refuge.
    All of the survivors had been in the metro that day, and it had saved their lives. The thermal gates on the stations protects them from the radiation and creatures on the outside, worn old filters cleans the air and water. Hand engineers/mechanics have built generator for electricity; people plant mushrooms in underground farms and breed swine. The poorest do not shy away from eating rats.
    Central command broke down long ago, and the stations have developed into tiny states, where people gather around their own religion, ideology or simply water filters.
    It is a world with no tomorrow. There is no place for dreams, plans or hope. Feelings have retired to make room for instincts, whereof the most important is the will to survive. At all costs.

2. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

remember i am rolfwar,not roflwar! HAHA! anyway,nice job here!If the thing is appreciated,we may go on!

3. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Ok, I'll try to remember :eek:

4. KhansGotKarma

KhansGotKarma Well-Known Member

Cant wait for more!

5. Strelok

Strelok Well-Known Member

Can you really lay all of it up here?
    Wouldn't it be labeled as piracy or have you asked Dmitrij for permission?
    Otherwise I love your work and am looking forward for more.
    It is nice to read it in english, is almost like reading a different book.

6. It's fine as long as he doesn't attempt to earn money off it.

7. Strelok

Perhaps, but I'm not totally convinced that you can copy an entire book and publish it on the net, even if you don't make money from it.

8. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I've heard of others doing this, so I won't stand alone. And it's not like it's the full book. And I think it'd be almost impossible to contact Dimitri without connections.

Anyway, nice to see some interest. I won't upload more before I have translated another 10 pages, so expect something like 7 days. Maybe 10, if I'm tied up.

9. TL;DR version: Put Dmitri's name on it, don't earn money of it and you'll be fine.

Long version: Russian copyright law courtesy UNESCO.

[Source]

#9 Komodo Saurian, May 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
  10. Strelok

Ok then now I'm happy.
    Just didn't want you guys to get a lawsuit.

11. KhansGotKarma

'S all good in the hood

12. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

I've been pronouncing your name to myself "roffle-war" hahaha, but hey, this is awesome guys, thanks!

13. KhansGotKarma

Thank god I wasn't the only one!

14. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

omg people! Like,why why all this users get my name wrong,lol?

Anyway,Dark,tell me when it's my turn to chek your work and start with mine !! :D