Making my Friend Play Metro: Last Light

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Potarto, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Indeed, I enjoy a good debate. Nice to put one's opinions to the test every once in a while.

2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac Active Member

I never got to the controversial comment mentioned because I was put off by the style of the video with all the text and image plastering early on and stopped watching. From the description I was anticipating more of a shock reaction emphasis from your friend.

Silly me, I guess I don't like watching vids of horror games styled to look like humor. That said, I also felt some of the humor in the game was getting long in the tooth, like the 3 Musketeers bit. At least there it comes in between vs during the horror though.

#42 Frag Maniac, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014
  3. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Huh. I basically had a plan to have multiple friends play through it, and show the different perspectives progressively side by side, but due to difficulties with schedules I only got two perspectives, and the other one was a friend just completely silent as he casually progressed through. So, I spent a bunch of time cutting down an hour and a half of footage into all of the little clips that seemed enjoyable, and figured I could at least try and make something funny out of it, and kind of styled it after the traditional, typography-based vids that Criken popularized (and that I tend to personally tend to enjoy).

I've never heard of people actually watching horror gameplay videos for anything other than humor before, that's an interesting perspective. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, and thanks for at least giving feedback as to why.

4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac Active Member

Just my preference, but mostly specifically in narrated reaction videos of horror games. It's not that I'm off put by the humor itself, it just gets a bit busy if it's going on during the horror, and though I loved Breaking Bad and understood the Walt White reference, I just don't like onscreen clutter while watching gameplay videos.

To your defense though it is really hard to predict the reactions of friends when they first play a game, and you never want it to look forced. I often enjoy watching a friend play a game I've played before for their first time, but I've never captured it. I think the only way to get real raw reactions is to do it with a hidden camera, then ask their permission afterward to air it.

And despite what some have said about Last Light and in game dialogue suggesting Artyom has yet to face such challenges up ahead, the game in many ways isn't as challenging or scary as 2033 was. For anyone that's played 2033, I can see how their first reactions to LL would be that of casual humor vs real shock.

I recall having made numerous FEAR 1 videos. I would find ways to beat each level no scratch on the hardest mode. Others sharing their FEAR 1 vids started theme basing them, which eventually lead to me making one themed after slow mo visual effects and humor. The reason though was in that game you could do some crazy stuff to the AI if you snuck up on them in slow mo, like literally standing on their head and blowing them away with the shotgun before they had time to react.

In a game like FEAR 1 with such great AI for it's time, a lot of people wouldn't expect you could so easily exploit it, but anything scripted has it's weaknesses.

#44 Frag Maniac, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014