Making my Friend Play Metro: Last Light

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Potarto, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.
    I think it's a pretty interesting country. Growing up, all we're ever taught about them in school kind of ends at around the cold war era, and all we usually see here on the internet is dashboard cams of crazy drivers and random tanks appearing out of nowhere.
    Ah.
    *googles*
    ...Not touching that one with a 10-foot pole.

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Trust me guys, racism (even in jokes) stops being funny when you become an immigrant and you have to bear it almost every day - in one way or another. I'm Polish, and since Poland is also in Eastern Europe people in the UK have similar stereotypes regarding Poles. It's not amusing once you hear it all of the time and people automatically assume things about you as soon as they find out where you are from. Anyway, that's just my two cents on that. As I've said before: I'm sure that the joke was not meant to offend or annoy anyone - all I said was that it was unnecessary. There's no need to get all pissy about it (whether you thought it was in good taste or not). :p

3. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

pfft, I'm muslim and I still find stereotypical muslim jokes funny bamul :p
    STAHP BEING A LITTLE WIMP (jk lol) :p

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I remember that you were really opposed to the idea of any form of racism back in another thread ages ago, saying that you experience it really badly every year on 9/11 anniversaries. Anyway, I might be wrong or getting it confused with something someone else has said. If that's the case, then sorry for confusing that. If that isn't the case, then I guess it makes no difference because people's opinions change. :eek:hwell:

5. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Nah, I was just saying racism can be horrible, and is wrong, but racist jokes are not really on that level now are they XD. But real racism, that stuff is just wrong yo

6. Potarto

I'm with ya, I've always seen it as just acknowledging our differences in a light-hearted way. And these days, pointing out how racism is bad is like preaching to the choir's grandchildren.

#26 Potarto, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  7. Skaara Dreadlocks

Sometimes racist jokes are 100% unserious, other times they are purely seriously racist. But usually they are unserious with a hint of truth. (Otherwise it wouldn't be funny).
    I don't think there's anything majorly wrong about racist jokes as long as you watch who you tell them to. People that hear it everyday might slowly but surely grow a reaction to it, especially if they are immigrants.
    It's basic human reason; You don't say a racist joke out loud to your classmates around the lunch-table if one of them is black (or an immigrant that the joke relates to).

Personally, I deal with jokes towards my religion (pretty much the same as racist jokes) easily, they actually even make me laugh. But that might be because I so rarely hear it. If I heard different ones every single day, I'm pretty sure I'd grow tired of it. So no matter how much a person generally is a type that you'd think would cope with the joke, you might want to think twice about how often they're exposed to it nonetheless.

Off-Topic moral discussions ftw!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#27 Skaara Dreadlocks, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  8. Potarto

Lines and exceptions to everything. Anything can be annoying if you hear it enough times. Tongue in cheek humor is great.

And I know it's off topic, but hey, I figure off topic discussion is better than no discussion, considering this forum's likely on a downward spiral in terms of activity unless we see an SDK.

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

Exactly my thoughts :p

10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Skaara got it pretty much spot on. It's just important to remember that racist jokes are a type of racism... that's why we use the adjective "racist" as a premodifer to the word "joke". :p

11. Potarto

[youtube]RovF1zsDoeM[/youtube]

12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Okay, so this song basically justifies "casual racism"? I get your point, but I disagree. ;)

13. Potarto

No, I'm pretty sure it's saying that it's overly idealistic to expect people to not have any sort of bias, and that it would be easier to get along if we acknowledged our differences in a more light-hearted manner. No matter how hard we try otherwise, we subconsciously tend to think differently of people who are different, and that's not really that big of a deal.

It's also trying to be funny at the same time, so there's that.

14. Skaara Dreadlocks

I agree with Potarto. Racism is bad, but I personally dislike extreme anti-racism even more.

15. Potarto

Bingo.

16. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

was his name-o

17. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

True, but the lyrics can also be used to justify "casual racism" - it depends on how you interpret it. I have to say it's overly ironic that the two main singers are white Americans, but I see your point and I agree with you that your interpretation is probably what the writers meant.
    Never said it was. Of course not, that's not racist at all. It's not even prejudiced. :)

Btw, you seem to be confusing racism and prejudice. Most people are prejudiced in one way or another, as prejudice is any type of prejudgment we have about others (though prejudice is usually associated with only negative prejudgments when it appears as a colloquialism in everyday speech). It can be argued that it is natural to be prejudiced, but it's best to avoid it regardless as it can lead to uncomfortable or even dangerous situations. Racism is expressing prejudices on the basis of one's ethnicity - be it through physical violence, words, etc.
    Whoa, I would never expect you to say something like that. :p I'd rather have someone nag me to be overly careful about what I say than experience racism. I know both types of people, and the latter are generally more annoying - as well as occasionally dangerous. To each his own, I'll certainly agree that both of these are a nuisance. :lol:

#37 Bamul, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
  18. Potarto

I think that's the closest we've come to an agreement.

19. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

It's boring when people just agree all of the time, and it sure is nice to have a civilized discussion on the internet like we've had here. Thank you. :)

20. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

Good... Good.