Quantcast

Lesser-known RPGs.

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Oblivious, Jul 16, 2015.

1. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

I remember those Front Mission games. They were pretty entertaining back in the day and kind of have a lot in common with some of the features that we see now in a lot of games. I cannot say I miss it too much though, but I do always like thinking back and seeing how far things have come in a few short years.

2. Player7

Player7 Active Member Regular

During the PS1 era there were certainly some amazing games. Front Mission III was on my mind as well :) I think most games made by Squaresoft were awesome quality. I had lots of fun playing Brave Fencer Musashi. The characters had some funny lines and it was a nice game suited for anyone to play. There was this other robot game named Vanguard Bandits, this one wasn't Squares though but it had a great storyline. I agree with the Lunar games and Vagrant Story. I also enjoyed the Saga Frontier games although their story was a bit more confusing, however both SF1 and SF2 are hidden gems.

3. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member Regular

Possibly Eternal Sonata. The story and characters are quite a paint by numbers type of thing. However Chopin has always been my favourite classical composers so it was nice to hear some of his music in the game and to learn a great deal of the man himself during the chapter interludes. Not a superb RPG but it's only 20-25 with a good soundtrack, functional story, decent combat. Need an RPG fix but not from an established series, This is not a bad option.

Other than that I would say Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle but the PS4 updates have made me aware that were a lot more fans of that game then what I once thought

4. isaac.kracoff

isaac.kracoff Member

Back in middle school, one of my friends let me borrow his copy of Thousand Arms for the PS1. Didn't get very far, but the comic relief was priceless. I also vaguely remember renting Aidyn Chronicles: The Last Mage for the N64. Specifically, being surrounded by an endless horde of low-poly bears or something.

5. SecretPaladin

SecretPaladin Active Member Regular

I have to go with Nier for a lesser known RPG which is also highly underrated. The marketing wasn't all that good for it, but the gameplay was pretty good, the soundtrack was amazing and the storyline was mindblowing. It's one of the RPG games I would recommend to everyone that enjoys storylines over graphics and special effects.

It will bring tears of happiness and sadness in your eyes.

6. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member Regular

Pillars of eternity is a less known game that I found to be okay. It wasn't great but it certainly didn't deserve to be so obscure.

7. SecretPaladin

SecretPaladin Active Member Regular

Damn, Pillar of Eternity looks sweet and the ratings seem to be top notch! I haven't heard of it so far and I wonder why. I'm going to have to try it soon, it looks like my type of game.

8. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

There was a ton of hype for it when it came out - which wasn't that long ago, really - and the hype seemed to dissipate almost immediately when it was released. Don't know why, either, because it's a pretty solid game all in all. Good story, good characters, nice combat system... definitely worth a look.

9. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

For some reason, I think the best RPGs are from the old days. Games like Might and Magic and BaulderĀ“s gate.

I also really like the original Neverwinter Nights from Bioware, especially the 2nd and 3rd expansions. You can get all 3 on Gog for like $10 which would be about 80 hours of playthrough, with very different classes so at least 2 playthroughs is still a lot of fun.

10. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

I have to say that Brutal Legend is a pretty lesser known one as well. When I played it I found it amazing and its a game not many people are aware of. It's also a comedy like RPG that makes me wonder how come people never picked up on it.

11. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I think it has to do with the fact that most people don`t really have patience for turn-based tactical RPG games anymore. Pillars can be pretty hard if you have no experience with these kind of games.

12. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member Regular

I don't know if a lot of people have played Legend of Legaia, it's a turn based RPG and I have watched some friends play this game around 2001 or 2002. I wasn't into these kind of games back then but I enjoyed watching them play it. The graphics, gameplay and the story of the game was fantastic and not a lot of people were playing it back then.

13. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member Regular

many lesser known rpgs are yet to be known by me.