Kalash (AK-74M) vs. Kalash 2012

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by Teddy Picker, May 18, 2012.

?

Which do you prefer, the standard Kalash or the Kalash 2012?

1. Standard Kalash

18 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Kalash 2012

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Okay, this thread has been split in two from this point.This part is about the kalash.

The second part is about nazis in the metro:
    http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?p=11580

And I'll just say it here: try to keep the threads on topic, try to understand other points of view (especially if it doesn't really matter). And have a good time! :)

#21 Von Streff, May 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
  2. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

Sorry Streff. My thread, my bad; I should have kept everyone on topic. Loving the blue font by the way, it looks dynamite.

On a more related note, does anyone use the scope on the standard kalash? I find it too annoying and usually stick with the good ol' iron sights.

3. No. There are only two levels in the game big enough for long-distance sniping, glares and oily thumbprints on the optics obstruct vision in the dark and the zoom is excessive for even medium-ranged combat.

4. Teddy Picker

Yeah, and the scope is useless on the Kalash 2012 as well since it's fire rate is so quick. It's more of a "spray and pray" kind of deal, rather than the finesse one needs for the standard Kalash.

5. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

I would go for the 2012, mainly because of the silencer, and also because it functions as a sniper rifle. however, the AK74M has more punch. it really depends on which type of run I'm doing. 2012 for stelath, AK for 'shoot everyone' runs.

#25 Jet Odessa, May 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2012
  6. Teddy Picker

Meh, I never use an assault rifle for stealth kills anyway; that's what throwing knives are for, right? (or your secondary weapon if you use the Hellsing like me) I only pick up the standard Kalash because it's so good against mutants, especially on Defense and when you get closer to D6. The AK2012 just doesn't have the stopping power that I like.

7. Paradigm-Spirit

I used a scoped AK-47 (on Ranger Mode) for most of the game, but when it cones time to switch to the Kalash 2012, I take it without hesitation.

Though it eats up ammo like crazy, the Kalash 2012 has a tremendous output of fire, more than making up for it's weaker stopping power. Also, when using it, try to spray as much as you can at a mutant's head. Trust me, it counts. They will, repeat WILL go down quicker.

As I was saying, though the Kalash is an ammo-consuming monster, there is plenty of ammo laying around (if you know where to look). Also, when your company gets taken out at Ostikino Tower, mourn them for a moment, then strip their corpses and the vehicles ammo box for as much ammo as possible. :D

8. Blaastoid

Blaastoid Member

Kalash vs. Kalash 2012

I would have to agree with most of the fellows on here, I prefer the standard Kalash compared to the Kalash 2012. Better damage rate, I like the AK-47 look, and I love having it with a Silencer and Red Dot sight.

I do on the other hand like the name of the Kalash 2012 because it has our current year in the name and it does have a nice modern look, but that's all.

9. Cheaptricks

Cheaptricks Well-Known Member

I don't particularly like either to be honest. I much rather use a bastard or VSV.

10. Teddy Picker

I don't think the standard kalash has a silencer available :3

11. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

My thoughts exactly :)

12. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

it doesn't, it has scope, but no silencer.

13. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

Between the two I prefer the regular 74 Kalash, but out of any of the assault rifles I prefer the unscoped VSV and either Bastard. :wacko:

Plus, the AK-74 is in a ton of games, which is why I prefer the Bastard/VSV

14. Teddy Picker

Nowadays I stick with the Bastard but back in the day I always picked up Ulman's VSV and would use it for the rest of the game.

15. Cheaptricks

Cheaptricks Well-Known Member

This is exactly how I feel as well. Also I LOVE my iron sights in this game and most others, so I don't even touch scoped guns in metro. Popping a cap in the back of a Nazi's neck with silence is epic winning:pop2:.

16. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, iron-sights just feel better, even in reality. Plus, the scopes in Metro were quite dirty and they were difficult to use...

17. Teddy Picker

There are verrrrry few occasions in which you need a scope. Did anyone else notice that in the gameplay demo at E3 the Bastard had a different look? The barrel looked different. I dunno.

18. Wolve_NZ

Wolve_NZ Well-Known Member

Ya, it looked more well made than the last ones

19. MRJOEYBON

MRJOEYBON Member

Kalash 2012. That gun is beautiful. When I used it when you first started I felt like I was well equipped. Then when I found it later in the game I knew I had gotten my hands on something really, really beautiful.