Is WoW dying?

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft' started by devonbomer, May 27, 2015.

1. AsiaCS

AsiaCS Member
    Regular

I quit after they announced Mists of Pandaria. There was something about the addition of an Asian themed realm that felt over done and I was morally opposed to panda-people for reasons I don't even understand. This game has had it's ups and downs but I don't think it'll ever die. Every time there's hype around some new, big game coming out, people always talk about how it might be a WoW killer but it never is. I think it's cool that the game can last but it just hasn't been the game for me in a long time.

2. Maelalove

Maelalove Well-Known Member
    Regular

Eventually, yes things will need updated and the competition will get harder. WoW was the best of it's time when it came out, now it has more competition. As for the "WoW killer" AsiaCS is talking about, I believe she's talking about the talk of Titan. Blizzard had a game they were creating that was supposed to blow everything out of the water, including World of Warcraft. But part of it was leaked, and they scrapped the whole thing and started over about 2 ish years ago. I don't know if Titan will ever come out the way it was, but I know there was speculation of Overwatch being the new thing. Although from what I'm seeing, it is nowhere near blowing WoW out of the water.
    Of course, I honestly feel like only Blizzard can knock WoW out of it's own field.

3. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Member
    Regular

I feel like the game is in fact, dying, which is sad. When I first started there were a ton of people on and now there's hardly any at all. The auction house is dead and it is becoming harder and harder to find someone to join a LFR or Instance group. I have sat for over an hour just waiting on a DPS for an instance. DPS used to be the first ones to sign up, but now it's like everyone is gone. I first noticed the decline when Cataclysm came out. I personally loved the expansion, but it appears not too many others felt the same way. I love the game either way.

4. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would say that it is big enough to weather any storm and it will always be a thing, maybe it will become one of those classic games that still gets played a lot, but I have seen a steady decrease in interest for WoW overall. All it takes is one little upgrade or new version though and we could see it come back and regain all of that lost momentum.

5. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Weather any storm? You have got to be kidding...

6. Maelalove

Maelalove Well-Known Member
    Regular

I do honestly think WoW will die. At one point in time, it will come to an end, and yes, the graphics are outdated. Do I think that time is coming anytime soon? Nope not at all. Eventually? Yes. At that point, though, blizzard will have 16 other games out that I would love to play, though.

7. Verity Darkwaters

Regular

I think WoW will eventually die. Not anytime soon though. I think a lot of people keep coming back for the new expansions and that until they run out of exciting and new stories there will be some people who hang on. But right now they are doing well enough I wouldn't worry about the WoW empire collapsing. :)

8. Rodrigo Menezes

Regular

I don't think it is dying, I know a lot of people who still play W.O.W. They are in my classroom and I have daily interraction with them. They are there, but they are less nowadays. But they still remain.
    So no, I don't think W.O.W is dead. Maybe it is "sleeping" for now.

9. coolyfrost

coolyfrost Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is an inevitability that WoW will eventually die out. It reached its peak a very long time ago and now it's just slowly losing more followers, with sometimes an influx of previous members due to an expansion coming out. However, I think that WoW will still last many years as it is still one of Activison-Blizzard's most profitable games.

10. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

Exactly. It's still kicking, it's not dead yet, and subscribers come and go with expansions. No matter what the nay-sayers think, it's not breathing its last breath anytime soon.

11. coolyfrost

coolyfrost Well-Known Member
    Regular

Exactly. WoW has atleast another five years under its belt, minimum. With all the free to play options and cosmetic items that I heard that you can buy now I bet that World of Warcraft is still a huge cash cow.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member
    Regular

I myself don't play World of Warcraft, but I have been noticing it being talked about less. It seems like WoW was a bigger deal to PC gamers a few years ago. Ever since Steam came out, and every PC gamer plays games on Steam now, there's been less traffic to games like WoW.

13. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

WoW is certainly dying. But at very, very slow rate. IT current lost over 5 million subscribers from its peak of 12m. And that is no joke, Though, it still remains the largest MMO on the planet, the future certainly looks bleak when the rate at which it's losing subscribers is considered. Though I think it'll manage to hold its ground for at least another five-six years.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree with that. I think that with similar games like Fable and Elder Scrolls around, World of Warcraft is looking less appealing and less unique. I know there are loyal fans who won't quit the WoW series so quick, but even fans want change sometimes. Wow needs to get a bit more innovative.

UnslaadKrosis likes this.
  15. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

To me, WoW has run out of ideas. It has literally used all the bad guys that were in the franchise, and even reused some of the dead guys. And the Mists of Pandaria was a damned joke. Unfortunately, it's alternatives aren't that great too, ESO is a mess, and I haven't played fable (the MMO one), so the fans of WoW that do want a change have really nowhere to go to except stick to the game, as there is literally nothing worth playing, at least at the moment.

16. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't think it's dying. It has too many hardcore fans and with a movie coming out they probably will gain a lot more. It is surprising to me that it is still relevant today after all these years, so I understand why people think it is dying, but I'm sure that within the community that thought is not even a possibility.

17. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think we will know very soon how much WOW is dying. The thing you mentioned is true, players ´always´ come back for the expansions. WOW is able to sell more than 3M copies in the first week, and has accomplished that for the past 4 expacks.

My own thought is that WOW is in fact dying soon, and that this expansion will be the end of it. The reason being is that if they do only sell 2M boxes and probably less, that means all those people without the expansion will probably quit shortly after. It will split the population between those stuck at 100 and those with the expansion.

But we will know when those first week sales numbers are released, I think any number south of 2.5M is a clear indication the ship is on it´s way down.

18. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

Wow's best years were the beta. I loved it then. However, when MoP came out I felt like the story didn't make any sense. I know mmorpgs aren't to be played for game play but things just didn't make sense or lined up as good. I think many of the audiences are older now and maybe play less eventually retiring.

19. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I stopped after hitting gladiator in season 4. My plan was initially to come back, but then wotlk wasn't my cup of tea, I tried to come back during cata but it just was done being fun for me.

20. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree. In fact looking back I always thought it would have been completely dead by now so the fact that the fanbase is still strong and rooting for it to keep surviving is a testament to how well this game will hold up in the future. By now I see it mostly like Star Wars or any pop culture title that has a fanbase enough to keep it alive for years to come.