Quantcast

Is Vagrant Story an RPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by fuumarumota, Feb 2, 2016.

1. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member Regular

How would you classify this game?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Regards,

2. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

Sure, I'd say it's an RPG as much as, say, Dragon Age: Origins was an RPG. You've got stats, you deal numerical amounts of damage that are visible on the screen, you've got a customizable character, and you can pause the game to think about your next action strategically, a luxury not afforded to other genres. Haven't played it in ages, but it struck me as an action-RPG when I rented it.

3. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

I think it very much is an RPG. I played it way back then and thought it was your typical action rpg. It gives a third person aspect gameplay although you can choose to play first person if you want. Since you only control one character, I suppose that makes it more of an action rpg than anything else either.

I do tend to prefer open world rpgs, or turn based rpgs though so I didn't spend too much time on it. It is also made by square enix which I didn't realise until now.

4. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Vagrant Story is most definitely an RPG. Maybe not really a western type of RPG like Dragon Age, but still very much fit for a role playing game.

5. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Of course it's an RPG. There's character progression, stats, level ups, an upgrade system for your weapons and equipment, loot, a turn based combat system based around hit percentage and so on. It's definitely an RPG and a very good one at that.

6. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member Regular

it sure is an rpg but i have never played it.