Is this worth playing for free?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' started by Yoyoenix91, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Yoyoenix91

Yoyoenix91 Member

I've always been interested in Star Wars as a franchise, and this game looked just as interesting as everything else, when it was first released. The only reason I didn't get to try it initially was due to it not being F2P. Now that it's free... is it worth it to play it free, or should I pay for certain amenities?

Basically, I'd like to know if F2P is crippled compared to P2P.

2. jesuitical

jesuitical Well-Known Member

Of course it's crippled compared to P2P, that's how they make you want to convert to P2P. Though that shouldn't keep you from playing. You'll do fine as a f2p player, you just won't have some features e.g. making your gear match colors, more inventory space, etc. You can technically play fine, I would say try it and if you want to you can switch to p2p later on.

3. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I think that any MMO is worth to try at least when it's F2P. Of course, F2P games are not as good as P2P in terms of contents most of the time but some are quite good nevertheless. As for The Old Republic, it's still worth it even though you're stripped of some P2P features and contents.

4. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

While there are many f2p games out there, which limit you for being f2p, The Old Republic`s model is really bad, imho. They even limit how many skill slots you can have in your action bar, which in turn limits your gameplay, because you have to carefully select your skills and might not even be able to use certain skills at all because you cannot drag them into your action bar as you have not enough space for them. F2p in TOR is not worth it, P2P if you want to enjoy the game.

5. Aymie

Aymie Active Member

I think any game is worth at least trying for free. The only thing you are wasting is time, right? I have tried a few games for free but most were not all that great. After paying for this one I would have rather waited and played it for free.

6. beki

beki Active Member

I don't it like that there are set limits just because it is free. Does that mean if you go out and buy the game that is the only way you can unlock the limits or are they going to make you roll a new character all together?

7. Nyssa Cunningham

Nyssa Cunningham New Member

As a player for SWTOR I am going to let you know that there are limits to what you can do in game and with what character that you can create. but there are so many things that you can do in the game as a F2P. I would suggest giving the game a try for yourself and if you think that its something that you would like to spend your money on to open up all the potentials in game than you can do that or you can stay a F2P. Its all based on what perspectives you are wanting to try in the game yourself. Granted you will not be able to use some things in the game but there are so many things in game that you can get and use, as well as do in the game. they also have included Cartel Coins that you earn every month and they can open up more for you in the game if you are wanting to stay F2P. If you are wanting to open more of the options in F2P they give you an option to buy more Cartel Coins at their website or you can buy them at stores. But with how long I have been playing the game I say that its worth a try to see what you think about the game even though some of the perks that are there for P2P are not there for F2P.

8. Corzett

Corzett Active Member

Nyssa makes a few good points here, honestly I wish many of the games I have purchased in the last few years came with a free test period first. I wasted too much money in the past and that is why I am hesitant now to pay for newer stuff. I would rather wait a while and let it settle.

9. thejamal

thejamal Well-Known Member

SWOTR is one of those games where you like playing the game and go back to it, or you hate it immediately and get bored with what you're playing within a couple times playing the game. It has some good qualities to it, but I also don't like how limiting F2P is in its gameplay. But it's also not a game you really want to pay subscription for.

Sort of depends where you're at in your gaming mindset. If you're looking for something new to play, this might be a good game to try for a month.

10. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

I've played it both ways and It's alot of fun both ways. I play on and off. It really depends on how much you enjoy star wars and the whole Old Republic era in general. Old Republic Era is my personal favorite but that's just me. I'd give it a try and see if you like it.

11. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

What I suggest you do is give the game a chance by subscribing for one month. Then cancel your subscription immediately. This way, you get to play 30 days on a premium account, get 500 cartel coins and get 'free reign' on what the game actually has to offer. Once the 30 days is up, you will get to play on for free as a Preferred Member. Though you will have less things, as a PM, you get much more than you do as a solely FTP player.

After I hadn't played the game for two years, I subscribed to it again 1.5 months ago. It's quite fun still. A bit getting used to with the changes, but overall pretty nice. Especially that I got 2600 cartel coins plus my subscription coins, on top of my referral and security key coins, I got the 'necessities' in the Cartel which improves my game greatly. On-ship GTN, mail box and vendor, as well as 10 minute CD on my quick travel and a number of other things.

12. Wick99

Wick99 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I started it and eventually the game pressures you so badly to switch to P2P I just gave up on it and quit. It's definitely playable though.

13. wulfman

wulfman Well-Known Member

testing games out before buying them is a must. i have to play P2P. as much as i like star wars the F2P version is really not good.

14. wulfman

wulfman Well-Known Member

what is the newest star wars game out for the PC?

15. jbeavis100

>.> Star Wars Pinball..

16. Livvy

Livvy Active Member

Whelp. Great things coming out of the Star Wars franchise, eh?

17. jbeavis100

and all we have to look forward to are EA games.. great...

18. Livvy

Livvy Active Member

And all those studios they buy up and ruin...

Such is life in the Zone.

19. Lucky120

Lucky120 Well-Known Member
    Regular

You know when it comes to F2P games I think that any is worth trying. You can try and see if you like it and if not then you don't have to do anything. I would say play it and see if you like the game and if not you did not lose anything.

20. KNH

KNH Well-Known Member

I think you should at least try it. Of course P2P is better but if you try F2P you'll get an idea of what it's like and you can determine if you want to advance to P2P.