Is this just going to be another Minecraft clone?

Discussion in 'No Man's Sky' started by West, Jan 28, 2016.

1. West

West Well-Known Member
    Regular

I feel like NMS has hyped itself up so far that there's no way it could deliver. The biggest question on most people's mind is...what is the game, really? E3 made it seem like a kind of exploration/survival/crafting game. Sounds familiar.

If anyone on here has ever GLANCED at Steam Greenlight, you'd know that the gaming world is already over saturated with games that have that open world, crafting, MMO feel. As someone extremely hyped for No Man's Sky, I can't help but worry that this game will ride very briefly on its novelty of being in space and procedural generation and no loading screens etc, only for it to very quickly die out as users have nothing to do. What do you think?

2. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't know about a Minecraft clone, but I do agree that the hype for the game is probably out of proportion for what we can expect. I think a lot of gamers are forgetting that No Man's Sky is being created by a relatively small team, and even the most talented small team can only do so much. Procedural or not, I can't see NMS's enormous universe being endlessly interesting, if only because you're inevitably going to run into similar permutations on different planets.

It'll be fun for a while. Don't think it's going to be revolutionary, though.

3. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I do not understand why anyone is even excited about their ´endless universe´.. it is silly. Games like Spore have already done the same thing and it is boring as hell.

Here is what they can do with ´procedural generated maps´. They can change the color of things, like the sky and earth tones. They can change the colors of plants. They can change the terrain.

Here is what they cannot proceduraly change. Creature models and plant models. AI of things you are fighting These are still going to be very limited

I think the thrill of seeing a pink sky one one planet and a green sky on another planet is going to quickly get old when the creatures, plants and gameplay are very limited.

If you are basing a game on exploration, then procedurally generated crap is not the way to go. You need handcrafted and unique stuff that can be found.

4. IgCho

IgCho Active Member
    Regular

I don't know that I necessarily agree. There's plenty of programmatic ways that they could generate models for creatures and plants. And there's quite a few examples now of dynamic AI systems. In fact many of the best examples of quality AI use some kind of procedural development. I'm not saying that this game will necessarily live up to the hype, but hardware and programming practices have evolved quite a bit from the days of Spore.

5. coolyfrost

coolyfrost Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't really see this as a Minecraft clone at all. At its core it might have some elements which Minecraft also has, but the setting is completely different. In Minecraft, you cant go to space or board a spaceship or find different sorts of randomized animals. Therefore, I think that this game will be much more than a Minecraft clone.

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't think this game should be treated like a Minecraft clone. Minecraft is about mining and crafting, like the name suggests, but also building and creating stuff and share it with players.

No Man's Sky is a lone experience (because it's nearly impossible to see other players) about discovering unknown stuff never seen by anyone in the real world, not even the developers since it's entirely procedurally generated. It's about exploration and reaching the center of the galaxy and uncovering the secret hidden inside it. A Minecraft fan might be disappointed by what No Man's Sky is about if they think both games are alike.

7. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

But they are not doing that. They are using mainly recoloring as the way to make wildlife and plants appear different. I am not sure where you saw where you can dynamically create custom creature models using procedures, but that is beyond current tech. At best you are going to have some like on planet x giraffes have ram horns, on planet y giraffes have unicorn horns etc. Yeah, you can proceduraly generate some shapes, but you would never be able to animate those shapes for something as complex as a creature model.

The only thing the devs talk about this game is ´unlimited planets´.. there is hardly any gameplay information, and the unlimited planets thing was already done in spore and is boring as hell after the 2nd or 3rd planet.

And finally, this is a small studio with no track record selling a game for $60.. lol

8. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member
    Regular

It actually requires you to think and figure out how to fly to other planets and achieve scientific greatness. You actually have to really focus on survival and exploration to entertain yourself.

9. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've heard alot of hype from my circle about this game. They did mention that it might be another pretty minecraft clone and I sincerely hope it doesn't get labeled forever as that. Similarly to terraria which is a completely different game with more depth than minecraft ever had. I just dont get why games are labelled as minecrafts clone at all. No Mans Sky so far looks great and on it's own impressive, however that is from what we have seen. So that doesn't carry much weight until we see more.

10. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

The game has next to nothing to do with Minecraft, to be honest. It is more like a huge sandbox where you can go wherever you like and do whatever you like. I don`t really think you can actually build things in the game.

11. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't know, this is a bit different than MC. I think you may have missed some of the trailers and interviews, some of the concerns you seem to have have already been discussed, it is not just a blind exploration game lol

12. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member
    Regular

How can you say that? This game is not at all a Minecraft clone. I know that it's similar but it's amazing too. It does not make sense to compare this with Minecraft.

13. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's right and that is exactly what I wanted to say. It's similar but it's not congruent and that is why we can't call it as a clone.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, I would say that the setting is really enough to set it apart from Minecraft, and on top of that there are a lot of things related to the game play itself and the story (or lack thereof depending on who you ask). Maybe a good reference point, but I would say that is it.