Is this game P2W?

Discussion in 'ArcheAge' started by ozadin, Dec 4, 2014.

1. ozadin

ozadin Active Member

I've played a bit of Archeage back when it was still in beta. It interested me a lot, but the game was extremely time consuming and I had FPS issues so I took a break. I logged on every once in a while to see what has changed, but didn't really notice any difference since all I did was walk around and log off.

I am upgrading my computer so that means stable FPS, and I'm wondering if coming back to Archeage is worth it? I've been hearing a lot of negative comments about Archeage and the company. Thoughts?

2. chesterkill1

chesterkill1 Member

Archeage has elements that make it a pay to win game but out of all the pay to win games out there I feel like trion does the best with giving all the players a fair chance to obtain/achieve everything in the game.

I love everything Archeage has to offer, except for the bots. As soon as they fix the botting problem, I will be more then willing to come back myself. Till then I don't think the games worth it in my opinion.

3. ozadin

ozadin Active Member

I forgot about the botting problem. I've seen a fair bit of images floating around Archeage forums of over 20 botters in a specific area; it must get tiring. My brother plays Archeage, and it looks pretty fun from my perspective, but I guess that's the superficial image Archeage wants to achieve. I've heard a lot of negative reviews about Trion, and you're the only one I've heard that said something decent about them.

4. greensat

greensat Active Member

Well, when you think about it, every game is play to win isn't it? I mean, if you don't play, you basically don't play the game at all and you're not even a player. To get better in a game, you have to play it.

5. amig0enemig0

amig0enemig0 Active Member

Honestly the game isn't pay to win in my opinion. A big reason being that well the game is really well balanced out. The items that you can buy with real money aren't even that much better.

6. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

You're joking, right? PAY TO WIN. Not play to win. No crap you have to play to win a game. Geez.

7. Corten

Corten Well-Known Member

Sadly, I heard it turned out be an extremely P2W, I didn't even bother with it after that. Sad, I had high hopes for this game, it looked like it could introduce some fresh ideas to the old MMO formula.

8. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Very interested to hear what you think is the pay2win features that makes the game unfun for free players. I think that term gets thrown around a lot. Most of these you can play hundreds of hours of free gameplay before you need to buy anything. SWTOR is the only exception and a game I felt like they blew the f2p model by making it unbearable to play as a free player at all.

9. Refreshes

Refreshes Member

From what I've heard this game is a little P2W. People are able to do more actions in professions, and start off with good mounts but that can all be acquired just by playing the game longer.

10. fliktor7

fliktor7 Well-Known Member

I don't know, I am at level 20 and since now I haven't payed anything. I readed something about a "patron system" or something like that, but I am not going to pay a single $ that's for sure xD

11. Zarentu

Zarentu Active Member

Well it isn't really pay to win in my opinion, though honestly I do know some people that buy a lot of apex just to sell on the AH in order to make gold in the game, that isn't paying to win. It isn't like other games where you can just spend money to buy nice gear, so no it isn't really a Pay to Win game.

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

The game is kind of P2W if you're really looking for the best gear. The items that you can buy with money only aren't really that much better than the basic ones.
    It's worth to come back to this game!

13. KyubiChan

KyubiChan Active Member
    Regular

I personally don't think this game is pay to win. To me a pay to win game would be something that is only available in the store to make you stronger. Now, there are useful things in the store that you can't get in the regular game, and of course cosmetic items, however the items in the store don't significantly make a person stronger.

14. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member
    Regular

Last I heard of ARcheAge, which I haven't played in almost 3 months. Is that the game has become very p2w but I am not surprise by that fact, it was always kind of limited as a f2p player but I guess it shouldn't impact you too much if you can manage to stay away from pvp.

15. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Sadly yes. It isn't that different from all others in the fact that people who pay have an advantage, you can clearly see that by the things they get through money and credits. it's just the same with almost any free to play game. While they say you can work harder to get it without paying, I don't think the effort is worth it, like one year of effort all day playing is worth 100 dollars of pay daily, that's a lot.

16. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 Well-Known Member

Did the recent patch 1.7 change anything in terms of P2W? Like adding new cash shop items? I saw in the patch notes they re-evaluated some regrade chances; does anyone know by how much, exactly?

17. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say by a lot, maybe only a little. Look in the shop, you might notice differences.

18. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I played quite a lot ArcheAge and it's not that P2W until you reach the cap level when it becomes P2P basically. With the fact that the terrains and the AH selling requires the APEX status you have a quite large lack of the gameplay of AA in my opinion..