Is there life on other planets?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by thecorinthian, Aug 3, 2015.

1. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

Kepler-452b the bigger, older cousin of Earth has been found to support life with that in mind do you think there are already planets out there with sentient beings?

I've been playing Star Wars: Battlefront a lot these days and the thought keeps coming to mind.

2. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I really believe there could be some kind of living creatures in the other planets too. It really was a good coincidence for human kind that the Earth formed to they way it is now. So during big bang it would be completely logical to have formed another planet like the Earth where is water and oxygen which makes life possible.

3. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think there is a possibility, but there is only anecdotal evidence based on the planets we've seen out there with what we theorize as habitable conditions. All the sightings of aliens are just hear say with no concrete evidence. The universe is so vast though that I think there could be a good chance.

4. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

Could be, but up to this point we have no conclusive evidence to that specific matter, and to be honest, I'd really be dreaded to know other beings existed near us.

5. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

If there is life out there, it is too far away from us to find it, let alone go visit. I've also been keeping up with the news and with all these talks of "Super Earths" and what not, I have fun imagining what kind of world it looks like. I wouldn't want anything to visit us since there will ALWAYS be some moron that would start trouble and the entire Earth ends up in a situation like Independence Day or The Day The Earth Stood Still.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's kind of impossible to think that we're the only population in the Universe. Aliens surely exist, but probably they don't want to interact just yet. Actually, we don't even know if they're smarter or dumber than us, who knows.

7. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

There has to be, right? That makes Miss Universe pageant a little weird, or human females just are the prettiest in the universe :D But seriously, when you start looking at how absolutely huge our own galaxy is, let alone the entire universe, you can't really seriously still think there's no one out there. From what I understand, the Earth is one of the youngest planets in the galaxy which, I hope, means we'll be among the first one to actually make exploration outside of our own solar system. Man, I'd give anything to be frozen for a thousands of years and just watch our ascent into stars.

8. Astdua

Astdua Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like to believe in the possibility that there is.
    I imagine the vast universe beyond ours, the millions of galaxies, systems, planets, and the mathematical probability that somewhere out there there is some kind of life form, it inspires me.

9. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member
    Regular

There's gotta be. It'd be awesome to discover it in my lifetim.

10. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

You know what, I just cannot imagine that this whole universe or these universes could only have life on one planet. It's just not plausible for me. I think there are other creatures and beings in other planets. Maybe they are just suitable for living there, much like we're only suitable for living on Earth. And maybe that is why we still cannot find each other because we cannot survive long enough on one another's planet.

11. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

I do think there may be life on other planets. Maybe not big lifeforms like us, but in the form of bacterium maybe. It may also be the case where there USED to be life on them. With so many various planets out in the universe it's more impossible that there isn't any other life form.

12. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member
    Regular

There's got to be. Statistically, it seems impossible for us to be the only life form in the whole universe, as people have stated above.

I doubt we'll live to see any of those life forms. The facts will be hidden to us by governments and militaries. I guarantee it.

13. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

It is more a case of there is no evidence to the contrary. Statistic,s science, and even just common sense tell us there almost has to be life elsewhere. The idea that Earth is the only place with life is not only hard to support scientifically, it is incredibly egotistical and short sighted.

lazar likes this.
  14. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think a more likely place to find life would be on non-planet colonies. Why stay on a crazy ass planet when you can control your environment? Planets are these conglomerates of weather and chance events, a controlled colony would be way more ideal.

15. Nytegeek

Regular

Life doesn't necessarily mean intelligent life. It is very possible that many places may have only plants and animals or even just bacterial life. This is more likely to be on a planet.

16. HippyZomby

HippyZomby Member
    Regular

My thought is
    Yes there is life on other planets, is it what we consider life here on earth? no. I mean if you have ever played mass effect that one chick is gas. For all we know there is life out there we just dont consider it life because it is not fleshy and pulsey like us.

17. Nytegeek

Regular

Life, defined by strict scientific parameters already established would almost have to exist elsewhere. It would be almost impossible for it not to statistically speaking. So, I disagree. We would consider it life because using our own definition of life, the odds are that Earth is not the only place with life. That doesn't mean there wont be other types of life or a need to expand our definition however.

18. HippyZomby

HippyZomby Member
    Regular

There could be, I am saying to keep an open mind, in all the definitions of life we have death is in it. What if there is life out there that doesn't die because unlike us here on earth instead of using their resources their life is the resource. Then we would have to expand our definition of life because there is no death. Here on earth, nothing is forever including our planet, one day we are going to use up everything we have known for a long time we are counting down. All I am saying is just because we are conditioned to believe in the things we learn, there are so many things out there we know nothing about. We discover new species every day. We think we find the bottom of the ocean then we find a new trench and have to build better equipment to get further down. We have never been to other planets we have had equipment on planets but so far we know nothing except pictures and readouts. So technically we know nothing. We have a dot on a bigger picture. All we have is assumptions and that is what we are concluding even from this conversation assumptions. In reality, we know nothing.

19. Nytegeek

Regular

Yeah, the we know nothing argument isn't going to fly with me. You don't have to physically go to a place to learn about it.

20. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Member
    Regular

I guess there could be. But there is no reason at this point to believe that there is. We have been to the moon and to Mars. Inhabitants? No. And so far, there is no reason that there is a hospitable planet to be found at this point.