Is rift a pay 2 win game?

Discussion in 'Rift' started by Stiflex, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Stiflex

Stiflex Active Member

As the title says, is rift a pay 2 win game? Or is the store completely useless in helping you be more powerful than others?

I saw you could buy pets and stuff, though I didn't loook through it because i no longer play the game. I do believe that they implemented something like that - because the game does need to survive somehow.

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I have never played Rift, but from experience with playing a lot of MMORPG's in the past I would say it is sadly majority of MMO's you see on the market you have to spend real money to get the best weapons or armors or you either have to be extremely lucky and get rare drops so you can make a ton of money so you can buy off other players.

3. Rivere

Rivere Member

As RMCMage has said above every game nowadays want's money even GTA they are selling dollars you can buy I know its not a MMO but its a example, Rift I believe is the same case you buy coins or whatever to be better than your opponent and I bet everyone is powerful already.

4. NimChimpsky

NimChimpsky Member

I would say no, it isn't. I have played Rift since before it went FTP, and I'm continuing to play now...just free.

While it is true that you can buy weapons and gear in the in-game shop with money, you can do so with in-game currency as well. The stuff in the shop though is largely not worth spending money on. The only thing that you really should buy are the Storm Legion souls, but even then, they are reasonably priced and not really necessary.

I think it's a decent example of how to do a FTP game correctly. IF you don't believe me, try it; it's free.

5. Sascha922

Sascha922 Member

Absolutely not. I started Rift at release with the Collector's Edition and gave up at level 22. I was bored with the game and it wasn't everything I thought it would be. When I heard it went f2p, I decided to give it another shot and fell in love. I started out as f2p but ended up buying subscription time when I had the extra money just to support the game.

Unlike other f2p games, like SWTOR which is hugely pay to win, there really isn't anything you CAN'T do without paying. There are a few items (recipes and such) in the Rift Store that require credits, which you can pay for without being a subscriber, but even then you can also find them in the in game auction house for in game money.

There is no limit on what you can do in game as a f2p player. You get access to everything that a subscriber gets. Like with most games, I don't mind tossing $5 on currency if I want something and it's worth it, but it's not like you will suffer in game if you don't. Most of it was for cosmetic purposes =)

6. lexxar1

lexxar1 New Member

It is definitely not a p2w game. You can buy some gear in-game but it is very, very expensive, and you can also get the same gear or even better just from playing the game. Those who pay don't have access to extra gear. Also you can buy store credits with in-game money if you want cosmetic items from the store, so there's that.

7. sidd230

sidd230 Well-Known Member

I've bought some credits, and what did I buy with them? Some pretty dresses and a mount or two, and that's it. And that's fine with me, because I want to earn my gear and rewards as opposed to buy it with real $$$. The Rift F2P model is probably the best that I've seen in any game, and very fair.

8. Lucky120

Lucky120 Well-Known Member
    Regular

As others have said that play. No it is not a pay to win game. You can buy some coins and buy things from the store if you would like. I have not bought anything yet, but I may invest in a mount. You can get god things from the game when you are playing, but the store is nice if you want a few things here and there. I really want to earn my gear and everything, so I do not use it, but like I stated I may invest in a mount haha.

9. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

As far as I've heard, it's not a pay to win game. My friends told me that like some have already mentioned, you can buy gears with in game currency you either earn or buy. Yes, you can buy with real money for better gears but it's not absolutely necessary as they can be found throughout the game by playing.

10. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

If this game is not p2w I might give it a try every MMO I have played was p2w it would be nice to not have to experience that for a change.

11. qaximor

qaximor Member

No, not at all and that what makes it a really good game. I got into the beta testing and everyone was talking about how Rift would be a non pay2win game and that made me want to play the game more, but unfortunately I stopped playing it because I got addicted to LoL :$

12. Nightfall

Nightfall Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the posters here. It is hardly a pay to win game. Mechanically there is barely a difference between paying and not paying. It has been set up to be quite fair. Paying may get you a slight benefit but it will be like selling the feeling of accomplishment. You can get the same gear without paying and you will feel like you have earned it a lot more.

13. t0rnad0

t0rnad0 Well-Known Member

Rift is definitely not a pay to win game. I haven't played it in a while but it was a great game even though it was pretty similar to WoW. I recommend Rift if you're looking for a good F2P MMO.

14. Takedon

Takedon Active Member

I don't think that you can actually buy something with dollars in Rift so I definately think that Rift is not a pay to win game. Not every free to play game is pay to win, some are really nice and you don't have to pay any money to be good at them.

15. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

I am relatively new to Rift, but I haven't had the urge yet to open up my wallet. If this is like other games I have played (and the interface certainly is similar), paying only gets me to the end of the game faster. Buying better gear had never made a lot of sense to me as it is out leveled quickly or outmoded with each new expansion.

16. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Seems like Rift has a system which isn't too bad. I firmly believe that a game should only have one currency though, if you want you can buy that currency with real money but this way everyone has the chance of getting the exactly same items.

17. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

I don't think that it is. However, there are many games that pay2win - LOTRO and soon-to-be WoW. I think the freemium model is quickly taking over.

18. matrixor

matrixor Well-Known Member

I don't think that Rift is a pay to win game. The store doesn't have much powerful items. Most of the items in the shop are obtainable ingame.

19. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

I don't think it is pay-to-win at all, although I'm not max level yet, maybe it gets worst at the top.
    But so far, I haven't had to pay for anything, you can get everything ingame except the cosmetic stuff in the store.

20. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

Its something we see everyday in MMOs where the number of micro transaction is so invasive, and is made so attractive you get super boosts, on equipment or items, because the developers want you buy...