Is buying ESO still worth it?

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online' started by grinder, Aug 1, 2015.

1. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

HI guys, I've been quite disconnected from the ESO world since a while and I remember that at it first release wasn't that good this new chapter of the series and I was wondering if in your opinion is worth to buy this game at the moment.

2. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member
    Regular

Of course it is, more now than ever in fact. No more subscriptions and the player base has grown quite a bit. I believe there is even an expansion in the horizon so there's a lot to see.

3. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

I bought two copies of ESO a couple of weeks ago and I love it. My wife unfortunately did not. She went back to WoW.

The design of the characters aren't that good, but the overall visuals are really pretty. Lore is nice and something I can relate to since I've played the ES games since Daggerfall. Questing is pretty cool. I also like that some effort is required to get the things you need. So walking around, traveling and stuff adds to the fun factor. It's also open world with no invisible walls. Exploring and finding books and stuff adds to it all.

4. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I disliked the game at launch and during the beta period, however, the developers have done a great job at improving the game. They've add tons of new content, features and fixed a multitude of bugs with the game. Nowadays, the game is fantastic. The world is large, and fun to explore. There's tons to do in the world, and it really does feel like an authentic Elder Scrolls experience, just in an online world with tons of other players.

If you're a fan of the Elder Scrolls series, it's well worth trying out now, don't let the initial reception of the game scare you away.

5. Sarleons

Sarleons Member

Since ESO has no subscription fees as it was when it first lunched and lots of improvements and new features had been implemented to the game it is worth to buy although it lacks lots of features that The Elder Scrolls series has such as free targeting system , dark brotherhood etc..

6. Khatib22

Khatib22 Active Member

It's truly up to the player. If you've always wanted an MMORPG that has a Skyrim theme laid on top of it, then you'll love this game. But, if you're looking to get the most in-depth and unique MMORPG experience, I don't think that this would be the game for you. There are lots of times where the game feels hollow compared to Skyrim!

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's a good game if you want to buy it for the Elder Scrolls franchise and you love Skyrim-like gameplay, but the game could've been much better if the developers put more work into it. Still, I think an expansion is around the corner so if you have the money I'd say you buy it! :D

8. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

If you're concerned about usual "infancy" issues that every MMORPG has right after the release, you don't need to worry anymore. ZeniMax is pretty good at listening to the community and every single problem people had with the game that I remember have already been addressed and fixed.

It's definitely worth getting into. People who say its just a WoW "reskin" most probably didn't even play the game. Sure, some archaic core mechanics are still in there, but as a whole ESO feels very different.

9. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm not such a big fan, but now that it removed its subscription service, I'd say its definitely worth at least giving it a shot. It's definitely a hit and miss kind of game, and if you go in expecting multiplayer Skyrim, you're gonna be really disappointed.

10. Snakevenom

Snakevenom Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well it's free isn't it? So obviously it's worth a try if all it costs you is a few hours. Personally I wasn't a huge fan but it didn't cost me anything to find that out. It has a decent base so you shouldn't have to worry about it being a desolate wasteland like some other MMOs.

11. Jeff Bowles

Jeff Bowles Member

I would say it's totally worth playing. I'm playing on PS4 right now and honestly it runs like a dream. We had a really bad server outage last weekend, but plenty of people are on today. In typical MMO fashion, you've got to spend some time with it before it starts paying off, but I'm a level 31 Nord right now and I can't get enough of it. It reminds me in the best ways of all my favorite Elder Scrolls experiences throughout the years, and it seems like more and more people are playing, so the full, dynamic social MMO experience is getting really fun. I'd say totally pick it up if you're a fan of the series at all. :)

12. Jeff Bowles

Jeff Bowles Member

Agreed, for a free experience it's really not too bad. The more time I've spent with the game the more I've ended up enjoying it. It's a really slow ramp up, but once you start leveling into the 20s it's actually a lot of fun. On PS4 it's really smooth, too, owing I take it to all the extensive patching, lol. Fun game.

13. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

Also, the megaserver thing makes it impossible for it to turn into a desolate wasteland ever... uh, maybe if there will be literally like dozens of players left, but it's impossible with this brand.

14. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. By the way I am quite sure that if I will ever buy ESO I will surely play it on PC and I've been told that the PvP lacks of fluently and it is also low skill based. Is that true?

15. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think if you enjoy single player RPGs like Skryim, then ESO is a no brainer.. at worst you play through the leveling process and it is a lot of fun. At endgame it changes and you might not like it.. but by that point, you definitely got your money´s worth. There are a handful of free2play MMORPGs that I would say are not even worth downloading, but TESO has enough good leveling content to make it worth the money.

16. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

If you want to combine WoW with the Elder Scrolls Universe and if you are a fan of both, then sure, go ahead and buy it. But I would wait until the game goes free to play.

17. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Do you think they'll make it Free to Play? I don't see them doing so, mainly because of how well games like WoW have been doing so well, without being F2P, like WoW has lasted absolute years without it.

18. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

This is what I think. If you want a single player ´Skyrim´ that goes on and on with new content being added all the time, then TESO is well worth the money. If you want something to replace WOW, then no, it is probably not going to be something you like.

19. MarsL9

MarsL9 Member
    Regular

ESO will always be a worth getting purely for their PVP content. That said the only issue I've had with ESO, funnily enough, is one with their PVP. Specifically the Champion Points system. It gives players who have played for a longer and maxed out their levels bonus stats that transfer to all their other lower level accounts and just completely destroy everyone else.

20. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would say that yes, it's worth it. Well, people used to hate this game but because of the hard work of the developers, this game has become one of the most awesome games. Now, people like it and the number of players has increased drastically. So, it's worth the money you pay for.