Is AH mandatory?

Discussion in 'Diablo' started by purplestone, Aug 7, 2013.

1. purplestone

purplestone Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, Old-school D2 player here. I've missed the original release due to some reasons and now I'm thinking of buying the game. I absolutely don't care about the graphics, it's all about the gameplay. The main thing that bothers me is Auction House. Is AH mandatory for progress? I've read a lot of opinions that without AH the progress is impossible and that the very drop system is balanced around players ability to buy things. This is the main turn off for me, because the most favorite thing in D2 for me was gearing myself on the way. AH makes wonders in WoW but I'm afraid of what it could do to Diablo gameplay. In general how far is it from D2 in terms of gameplay? Tried Torchlight 2, but it lacks depth for me. The gameplay is very D2-ish, but the rest just lacks substance. I feel like wasting time playing it, because I don't care about the world and the lore. With all due respect to D2 creators that were behind it.

2. dragoneye

dragoneye Well-Known Member

AH is certainly NOT mandatory if you are willing to spend a bit of time farming / leveling your chars. I have beaten Inferno with one of each class (SC on mp 0) using only self found items.

3. ClaudeCruz

ClaudeCruz Member

Yeah I don't think the AH is necessary at all. They just want you to spend you money is all ;)

4. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

The AH is not a requirement and somewhat useless once you get high enough in levels. Then again, if you have the gold or cash available, it will certainly make your game easier at the start.

5. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Like many have said, AH isn't necessary. It's an option to get good gears early if you don't mind forking out the money. Maybe helpful when you're starting out but once you got high enough level, it's redundant unless you're making builds and want to find the stuff you want fast.

6. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

The AH isn't needed until you reach Hell mode. The lategame of Diablo 3 is pretty intense and you may need those extra items if you have unlucky drops.

7. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

It isnt mandatory but it can speed up your itemisation curve. Higher levels of the game cant be farmed without good enough gear so at the start you can get some items off the AH to get over those itemisation humps and be able to farm.

8. meta_mach

meta_mach Active Member

I've seen two different answers in this thread and want to know the answer to this myself. So can anyone answer for sure if the AH is necessary in hell mode or is there a way around it? I don't want to pay money for items but also don't want to have to farm for 30 hours to get good enough gear for end game. I still play D2 every once in a while with my Brother.

9. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

Well, you can but with a little bit of luck. It seems they will change the loot system with the new expansion though.

10. meta_mach

meta_mach Active Member

How is the loot system changing? I know they increased drop rates a lot on console versions of the game. Is Blizzard going to match those rated on the PC?

11. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

No, but it does make the grind a bit easier. But but no means are you obligated to use the AH to advance.

12. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

The ah was removed due to player complaints. I was ok with using it, there are more critical issues to fix in Diablo 3.

13. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree wholeheartedly, I was able to make quite a bit of coin from the AH. There are other things to fix in that game on the multiplayer side of things.