Quantcast

In honour of the Pokemon Superbowl ad. Name your favourite memory of the Video Games

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by SolaNova, Jan 25, 2016.

1. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member Regular

In honour of the Pokemon Superbowl Advert celebrating 20 years of Pokemon. Wow twenty years. Name one of your favourite memories of the video games

For me nothing is more emotive than the music from Gold and Silver on the game boy colour. National Park is so darn soothing and melancholic. And Route 26 when you make your first steps back in to Kanto the sense of discovery that the music evokes.

Listening to them both earlier honestly made my eyes a bit weepy, but weepy with joy.

Oh and on my first run of the elite 4. I had Lances last dragonite to take care of but it knocked down my feraligatr. Dragonite only had a sliver of health left but I only had a level 21 Voltorb left. But he somehow dodged two attacks and laid down a Sonic Boom and became champion

2. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

There was a Superbowl advert? Huh. Nintendo's got some money to spare, clearly, to buy that kind of ad time.

I'll go with managing to defeat the Elite Four with a kind-of-underlevelled Gyarados, and it wasn't that long ago. I was doing a Nuzlocke Run of LeafGreen and I wound up losing my entire team, minus the Gyarados, to one of the trainers in Victory Road. It was a harsh, harsh moment, and I was this close to just shutting the game down and giving up.

... but, I figured, what the hell. And, somehow, through sheer ridiculous skill (and / or lots of luck) I managed to plow through the Elite Four and the Champion with just the Gyarados. It started at level fifty-something and came out the other end around 64 or 65. Took forever, but it was absolutely epic, especially since I'd run through the game quickly and didn't have much by way of supplies.

That Gyarados's name was Fishy. You did good, Fishy.

3. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Well-Known Member Regular

I have some great Pokemon memories. Playing Stadium at my best friend's house in middle school since I didn't have a N64. Finally getting to participate in online play on the handheld games when Wifi connection on systems became a thing, as I never had local friends with the link cables. The theorizing, pouring over spoilers, and anticipation while awaiting new games like X&Y. Getting to introduce my brothers to Pokemon by buying them their first games, and getting to play with them.

Pokemon has been good to me over the years! :) Looking forward to more.

4. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

That's hard. I would have to say when I caught my first shiny in Diamond. I remember D/P/Pt made it really easy to shiny chain, and I think Diamond was the first game when I really got into shiny hunting. These days, trading for legitimate shiny Pokemon isn't that difficult, but I think CATCHING a shiny is really special. I had been chaining for several hours a day for around a week when...finally! Shiny Shinx! I evolved him up to a Luxray, transferred to Heartgold, transferred to Black/White and then eventually transferred to Alpha Sapphire! To date, probably my most treasured Pokemon.

5. ikarosalpha

ikarosalpha Active Member Regular

It wasn't until gen 3 that I cleared an entire Pokemon game all by myself. I used to play together with my older brother on Pokemon Blue, but later on my parents got Sapphire for my brother and Ruby for me. The feeling of beating the Elite Four with your team that you spent all this time training with is just amazing. ^^

6. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member Regular

I remember the first time catching Articuno in the 1st gen. I ran out of every poke balls except for my master ball and an ordinary pokeball. Tossed the pokeball to the foe and..... catched it! With my last ordinary pokeball, not ultra / great. That had me bragging about it the whole week at school.