If you run a MMORPG, would you make it free or paid?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, May 17, 2016.

1. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

There was a certain point that I got tired of grinding just to level up in the game I was playing back then. But When I saw how big the community was and a chunk of the percentage of the whole population were pretty strong, it means a lot were grinding their asses off just to get strong. It made me play the game even more instead of quitting. but I do get the idea of a game being too hard on the player that you just want to stop playing it. It is just a bit frustrating for me that nowadays there are no real games out there in terms of MMORPGs.

2. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, I hear that. I'd be so far behind if I went back to WoW now that it would suck. I always heard new games called WoW clones, but I've yet to find one that actually is (or I'd be playing it).

Okay, you young people need to get together and make a good game for all of us to play! :p

3. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd make mix of both paid and free. I will keep the basic stuff free and the high end stuff paid. This way more and more people can pay for the content. And also it can be good enough for the eanring too. You can see that free investment of time is also success for any game. So paid upgrades are must for paying the stuff.

4. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would most likely give the player a free trial of the game for around 30 days or so just to check it out then charge them once to play it.

5. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think making it free to play would be a better bet these days. But honestly, if I were running a game dev team I would avoid making an MMORPG. There's a chance for great profit, but also a chance of going bankrupt.

6. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member
    Regular

I will make it free for many fans to like it.

7. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would make it free and accept donations. But if I incurred much costs in providing the game, then I would make it paid with subscription.