If you run a MMORPG, would you make it free or paid?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, May 17, 2016.

1. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Would you make it a paid game or a free to play game?

If it is the former, how would you proceed?
    Subscription based or one time purchase?

If it is the latter, would you prefer
    Really free, but accept donations out of free will. Or with in-game-purchase?

Personally I'd charge monthly fee. I think it is the most fair way for a paid game. And I think it is fair for me to charge for a service, especially this service requires my attention to keep it working flawlessly and to continue to improve it.

tony likes this.
  2. HippyZomby

HippyZomby Member
    Regular

I would make it free and charge for like own servers and things like that.
    For example have 5 free servers, then offer for you to start your own server you would have to pay rent for it. Pretty soon people would get tired of the 5 servers and the rules. There is always people out there that want to make their own rules and get tired of waiting for respawns. Then want to make their own, also have a area where people can donate and help better the quality. I dont know probably would fail and things like that. You could also charge for special gear make it really special gear, you could survive without it but looks nice and offers different types of perks.

3. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

There is better way to charge people than asking for donation. If it is a donation at free will, most people will just rather be freebie.

Here is an idea from a Counter-Strike server I used to play on over a decade ago,

The server had 24 slots. However, only 20 people can join before you get the message of "server full". The extra 4 slots are reserved for the VIP members who paid a donation. They can join the server even when it is "full". After some people joined as VIP, the server would often be more than full. It raised the need for getting a VIP membership. So pretty much most of the regular players there had a VIP membership.

For a MMORPG for example, you can run a server with much higher number of players. It also mean a lot more VIP member slots. The more people who pay for VIP membership, the more need for the rest of the players to also become VIP in order to be able to join the server when it is "full". You can have a server for 3,000 players with extra 100 slots reserved. The potential VIP membership signing up will be a lot more than 100.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

it's a much better idea to make it free and have microtransactions, although WoW didn't suffer from their pay-to-play concept at all. As an indie developer it's probably a good idea to make it free.

5. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Pay to play is probably the best for both players and developers. Steady revenue for the developers to keep up making the game better and custom support excellent, while the players can just pay the same fee and play fair instead of pay to win.

Yet, like I have mentioned earlier, there are more than just one way to pay to play while being different from pay to win. Either monthly fee, or a VIP member fee for "reserved slot" to join the server when it is "full". The former is probably a more steady income, while the latter might retain more players over long period of time since there is really no fee to play (if) you are willing to wait for a little while for the free slot to join the server.

6. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

My personal opinion is that cash-shops break the integrity of the developers. The developers are no longer solely focused on making the best game possible, every design decision has to also have a $ in the back of their brains. Whether it is allowing an item to be OP because it is for the shop, or making some task tedius without a shop purchase.

I think a pure B2P model with yearly expansions is the way to go. As a developer, you have nothing on our mind except making the best game possible. All of the content goes into the game without any holding stuff back. So maybe like $49 for a big expansion every year.

My other option would be a subscription based game with free expansions and updates. So you get non-stop new content. I do not think a subscription model with paid expansions is going to fly any more, nor do I think there is a reason for expansions since ´boxes´ in stores are no longer significant marketing. So no big box fees, just sign up and pay $7.99 and get all the content as long as you keep paying the $7.99 and no big purchases to make ever.

Any item you say could be in a cash-shop would just go into either game.

7. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

$7.99? Isn't it a bit cheap? Back in 2003 or so, I was already paying $15 per month for Lineage 2.

Yeah, I think the best sustainable model is monthly subscription based with free expansions, or free to play but with paid expansions.

I agree that too many games these days have $ option as #1 when the developers were making them. It is sad that nobody realized that if they just focus on making the best game possible, the money will come by itself.

8. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd make it free just so there's a better chance of getting as many people in my and as possible. I think the most enjoyment out of this genre can be gained from having as many players involved as possible so that would be my main goal.

9. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, good for you if you have the money to throw at the project. Imagine all the cost involved running the game itself (even if the game was given to you at free cost). You still need to have the budget for either running a game server at home, or you can pay for some cloud based service to run the game. You also need to spend time and effort, possibility money on custom support to solve possible issues. Do not count on any game to be "problem free". Even if you get volunteer in-game moderators, it will be quite hard to get someone to do tech support outside the game for free.

The bottomline is, running the game will cost you money and time. Are you having enough cash to get it all sorted out?

10. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think all games should be free to play I'm not a greedy person I think every gamer who wants to play should be able to-- it's democratic, it's real unadulterated freedom. If they want to pay more for a better user experience then that just tells me they really like my game. I'd charge for better equipment, cooler background graphics and what not just like League of Legends.

11. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Better equipment for real money? That is the typical F2P but Pay to Win type of games. I'd stay away since it is not fair for everyone.

If you need to make the game better, or at least running it smoothly without much problem, then it will cost you. To make the model sustainable while being fair, you need to charge (equal) amount of money to everyone.

Anyway, it is your choice. Personally I just found too many F2P games are in fact P2W. If you want to do any good in the game, it will cost you much more than a monthly subscription based game in the long run.

12. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

This is just the fantasy scenario where I have a perfect game that I can believe in enough that it will catch on and gain respect and attention from players though as well as investors. If it were real life I'd be a lot more practical about it.

13. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, I should have made it more clear about the fantasy part is limited to the fact you got a perfect MMORPG. Now you have the choice to run it, and how to run it... in a sustainable manner.

I know for sure, I can actually provide the game for free if I only launch it on a small scale... For example, just one server for a few hundred or maybe a few thousand players at most. Anything beyond that, I do not think it will be worth my money and time just to entertain others.

14. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd make it free to play because having a user base that can play the game without paying anything and decide if it wants to stick with it is more important.
    Then I'd put microtransations for skins and other things that do not ruin the player experience.
    Like other successful MMO games do, basically.

15. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Except all the "successful MMO games" have actually made profit. Otherwise they are not considered "successful". To make a profit, their revenue had to exceed the cost (initial cost of development, and the operation cost). Our little fantasy took care of the initial development cost already, but it still leaves the operation cost if you choose to run it. Are you willing to throw your money at the project to keep it running for free? Do you actually have that kind of money to sustain the server for long?

16. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

The trick really is to reign in customer service ( ingame GM type stuff). Back in the early days of UO, there was an interview with one of the upper mgmt type people (business side), and he said in UO with a subscription of $15, almost $5 of that went into customer support. Also at that time, bandwidth was a huge expense, but has dropped like 90% since then and is almost free (or at least a very unimportant expense per player).

If you look at the patch notes from WOW, once thing to keep an eye on is how many quality of life improvements for players were also things that were directly related to GM tickets. They were constantly changing the game based on what were major causes of player GM tickets. For instance, mailboxes. When WOW first started, players would sit on big mounts and block the only few mailboxes in each city. What did Blizzard do? added tons of mailboxes everywhere. There are tons of little changes they made that were clearly related to things players were calling GMs to help with.

I think a non-corporate MMORPG that is run by the developers AND creates a player-supported forum for customer tickets could be very profitable at $8/month. Some of the best products I use have customer support systems where the support is largely provided by other players. You build a good game and community, and other players can save you a lot fo money.

17. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

This is a huge misconception. Most of the ´successful´ MMORPGs you are talking about are not good businesses. There is a huge difference between operating with a profit and being a successful business.

Age of Conan the perfect example.

AoC cost $30M to make. WIth initial box sales, they recouped about $5M of that. Subscribers fled the game after the first month and the company ( Funcom) decided to write-off the $25M. Basically they were saying they were never going to get that $25M back. It was lost.

Since that time, the cost to run the game is about $1M per year, and the company earns a tiny bit more than that. It is a ´profitable´ business on a quarterly basis. But it still lost about $25M.

And then you need to look at return on investment, or just opportunity cost if you want. If you devote money to something now, you need to have earned something after time or why do it? If funcom had put that $30 in savings account, they probably would have $5M in interest since then. So Funcom lost $25M, and they failed to get the $5M they could have easily gotten with that money. So really, the game cost them $30M.

Is AoC a successful game? they will say that yes, they are making a profit every month....

18. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd definitely make it free, but with cool weird items like in-game fireworks and hoverboards and stuff for sale that could be traded in-game. Nobody does it right, always gotta through in p2w somehow...

19. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Same here. I think current MMOs are doing it right in that they provide people with channels to help support the company and getting rewards for it but only for surface changes like skins so it remains free to play instead of turning into play to win.

20. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Good luck on having enough money to keep throwing at the operating cost of your MMORPG. :) Do you really expect to get your cost breakeven by selling fireworks etc. items that not needed for the advancement in the game? If you really sell the items required for playing the game, then it is not free any more, and just another pay to win model.
    It does look like the initial develop cost is the highest, it is why I am using the fantasy setting where the game is readily available to us at little or no cost. Think about when I was playing Neverwinter NIghts (1), some people made persistence world based servers. It was basically free for the development.

One of the most successful server back then was a world made of areas created by various people. Every once in a while, people would use the toolset in the game to create more areas and send it to the server owner. After checking it up and fix all the bugs, it would be added to the continuous expanding world. The operating cost for the server owner was just the server hardware, and internet connection fee, maybe a little electricity bill too.

The server owner was not charging anything to play on his server, but he did charge money after "keep your characters and items" after every expansion. I doubt he made a lot of money through this though, it is probably only enough to cover some of his cost.