If Activision made Call of Duty a rpg like Elder Scrolls, would you buy it?

Discussion in 'Call of Duty WWII' started by tarverten, Mar 2, 2015.

1. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

Ok, before anyone says it, yes I know the worlds are totally different. One is magic and one is modern with guns.

What I mean is the idea of Elder Scrolls being made into a Call of Duty fashion. Do you even think it's possible?

rabst likes this.
  2. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

More than likely, I wouldn't. Elder scrolls had a setting and style that made it well-played as an RPG. As far as the vice versa involving the other game, I'm afraid either way it probably wouldn't mesh well. On the other hand, if the story is strong enough with supporting graphics, then anything is possible.

3. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Active Member

I would have to wonder how that would fit and keep canon. But, I certainly think it could be possible from a technical perspective. Really, I'd prefer Bethesda focus on Fallout 4, though, before taking on any new projects - but that's just me. ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing some co-op in Skyrim, though!

4. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

You could make it work, but it wouldn't be easy. It would probably have to be close to Tom Clancy's The Division with a few tweaks to keep CoD concepts intact. It'd be difficult to keep that same level of frenetic gameplay, but there are ways that you could make the game still seem incredibly fast. It's not going to happen, though. Too risky.

5. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member
    Regular

Honestly, I don't see that happening. It's impossible because of two things:
    1. There would be no way to make such a game fit in the Call of Duty universe;
    2. The Call of Duty fan-base wants First Person Shooters, not RPGs. They know this, and they will always cater to their target audience.

6. Jcrawford987

Jcrawford987 Member

Even though I dont see it ever happening, if given the chance I would buy the game. Ive pretty much decided im going to buy all the future Call of Duties in the future since im planning on playing competively. Also Skyrim was one of my favorite games all time so its a perfect match.

7. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I wouldn't mind buying a game like that which is Rpg in the Call of duty universe it could be a spin off game like a game not really related to the series that sort of one. It would take a lot of work and could be possible to do and may happen later on maybe not just yet though. I reckon few years later we could see it, and will enjoy playing the game and see what it is like in a Call of duty universe.

8. xlSynergy

xlSynergy Active Member

I think it can be possible. I mean, TellTale Games made a Borderlands point and click game, so anything is possible, haha.

However, I do not think it would be good. CoD aspects wouldn't really fit a genre like a RPG.

9. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

An indie game studio should start making this while changing enough things to not get sued into oblivion. I want to see it happen now. :eek:

10. flamingor

flamingor Well-Known Member

I definitely would buy it for sure :) An rpg game combined with the action-packed elements of COD fps would surely be a hit.

11. Lucky120

Lucky120 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would have to see how all of that would work out. I might and then again I would be a little hesitant. Can that even play out? Hmm you know that would be something different and pretty cool to see. I wouldn't mind actually trying to see how all of that would play out. Wow now I am hoping something like that is tried just to see how it would be.

12. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I wouldn't mind buying it and giving it a try if it were cheap. Would definitely be interesting to see how it worked out, especially if it expanded on Advanced Warfare's single player campaign storyline.

13. rabst

rabst Member

(enter the n00b)

Is Elder Scrolls a 'questing' game (like Zelda or Final Fantasy Legend), with Call of Duty being more of a 'first-person shooter' (like ... tune your flux-capacitors :p ... DOOM)?

Quite a few games already do that---the XBox's Devil May Cry series, for one. (although I don't know much of the MMO-feature ... I'm kind of a loner.)

14. oby1kanooby

oby1kanooby Member

Sure I'd give it a try! Why not? I am a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls Saga and if they could match that in terms of story and world size, and game mechanics, I think it could be a hit! Trying to follow up Bethesda in that role, I think, would be like trying to follow Tolkien. Tried many times, but never quite there...

15. xlSynergy

xlSynergy Active Member

I would give it a try, too. But I don't think that it would have the potential of becoming a hit. The type of audience that likes games such as the Elder Scrolls isn't always the type that likes CoD. They're 2 different genres.

That doesn't mean that 1 person can't like both genres, I'm just saying.

16. oby1kanooby

oby1kanooby Member

Agreed. They could make a cross-over of the two genres. Might end up being a little like "Fallout" or "Borderlands" though. The sky is really the limit, but unfortunately the companies tend to stick to the guaranteed money makers, rather than venturing out into the unknown.

17. sakil99

sakil99 Member

I wouldn't buy it. I like Call of Duty for its first person shooting experience.

18. Jxhn

Jxhn Member

I don't see how a first person shooter can be developed as a RPG styled game and be successful. I think the whole reason Call of Duty is popular is because it is a FPS game that is played in first person. If that was to change, I doubt the community would be as large as it is now.

19. Hybridlullaby

Hybridlullaby New Member

I was thinking this exact same thing. They have been able to make Borderlands, Game of Thrones, and Walking Dead already. Why couldn't something like Call of Duty be made into a different style of game? I am sure the mechanics would change, but they could work it until it became a full game. It would probably feel more like Borderlands, I think, just with set guns to use.