I Am Alive

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Pip314, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

I am not the person to answer this, as I honestly don't know, but my guesses are that it doesn't.
    Okay, so I've played through what I think is the most of the game, but still not completely done. My impression is that you have very little free movement. There's a lot of climbing and parkour-ish movement, but you always have to walk the exact correct way, you can't stroll off to some other place. It's mostly pretty obvious what you have to do to get further in the game.

The fighting system is indeed primitive with very few options. It's always the same when you meet a bandit gang of two or more: You let one walk up to you, then you surprise kill him with your machete, then pull out your pistol and shoot the one who has a pistol as well. The rest of the guys has machetes. You threaten them with your gun, and you'll always have to waste a bullet on one of them if you have no way of pushing him down a place; You can never win with machete against two bandits with machetes.
    But yes, it can indeed become something. If you retry a fight several times, you'll eventually be able to take them all out without wasting a single bullet and without losing any health at all, perfectly professionally.

What I like is that if you choose normal or hard difficulties, you have limited retries. On easy, you have everlasting retries, but less supplies lying around that you can find. I of course chose easy, and I now have a huge load of supplies after retrying the missions over and over so I managed to use least supplies as possible.

A big flaw is the bullet-system. You have unrealisticly few bullets. In each gun you find, there's always just one bullet. The most I have managed to have at once, is four bullets. If a bandit has a pistol, he has everlasting ammunition, but if you kill him, you only get one bullet from his gun. An even bigger flaw, is the bandits who threaten you with an empty gun. Once, I saw one threatening me, and I could easily see how he was obviously faking to have ammunition in the gun. So I walked slowly towards him, and he didn't shoot. Then, I attacked him with my machete, but JUST before I hit him, he shot me extremely fast so I died. When I retried the mission and met the same guy again, I shot him instantly, and his gun was empty. :derp:

But, what I do love with this game, is how it is more of a realistic apocalypse; There's no zombies or mutants, only bandits. Most people are corrupted into bandits, and those who aren't, are usually starving poor people who hide in the sewers. You don't get an arsenal of weapons either, and you have to be very sparse with the few supplies that you can find, that goes for ammunition as well. The city is a silent place except for the earthquakes that come now and then.

What I also love, is the story :
    You were away when the "incident" happened, which I believe to be one or several gigantic earthquakes. You're on your way back to the city to find your wife and daughter, which are both gone and rumored to be at a safecamp somewhere. You find a little girl in which you save the life of, and find her mother for her. They life in a hidden apartment with a man who sends you on a mission to get a radio, so they can contact the outer world for transportation out of the city, and he then sends you out on a mission to light a beacon so the ship can see you. I haven't gotten any further than that.

All in all, as a game, this is not too good, and not really worth the fifteen euros in my opinion. It's as if they made a simple game out of a very good movie. So, it is worth to spend your time to play it; I find it very entertaining, as if being able to part-take in a very good movie, and actually being the main character. So, I do recommend the game ;)

2. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

ah, yes, I forgot on Pc release, on easy mode, you have unlimited retries. not so on console. I have the game on PS3, and on normal (there is no easy) you don't have unlimited retries. you either find them or they are given to you by ppl you help.

regardles, I do agree with you on most of your comments about the game. however there is a little trick to:

get two arrows just when you enter the big ship.

glad you are enjoying it.

3. Skaara Dreadlocks

Damn, I'm past that part :p
    This game is pretty awesome to be honest. You have awesome clothes, awesome hair, awesome armor, awesome fingerless gloves, awesome bow on your back, awesome machete on your back, awesome gas mask and awesome climbing skills. Pretty awesome, I must say. Screenshots below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One thing that annoys me a little, is how the character looks a lot like my friend's father, hahah.

4. Jet Odessa

where are you up to right now then? have you helped all the survivors? and did you get the shotgun?

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

Shotgun?? O:
    No, I'm about to start the mission where I go to set off the fireworks to make a beacon for the ship.

6. Jet Odessa

one of the survivors will give you a shotgun for helping him out, however, the shottie only has five bullets and there is no more ammo for it, so if you get it, use it wisely.

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

I finally completed the game. The last mission is very different and many times more difficult than earlier missions. You usually meet a pack of bandits at the maximum of four, but usually just two-three. You meet them along the path you have to walk. In the last mission, there's a big area with rooftops linked to each other, and there's like ten bandits or so, and if you don't go stealth-mode, they'll all come running at you at once, and you'll be chanceless. I didn't even know that stealth is possible before I did the last mission :p I died so unbelievably many times, until I gave up and watched a guy on youtube do it. So I jumped along the rooftops and took them out one by one when they got separated, and eventually, I had killed them all. 'Twas pretty awesome.