How to Extract .vfs files?

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by Keavon, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

No way man, that's over 3 hours of listening. Don't do this to yourself. :derp: Btw, getting rid of everything that's shorter than 30 seconds leaves us with 110 items. This is still over 2 hours and 40 minutes of listening... :wacko:

#21 Bamul, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
  2. Keavon

Keavon Well-Known Member

First, it's worth it.
    Second, I don't listen to the whole track if it sounds like it's just a sound effect.
    Third, I've already found 18 actual songs under 25 seconds.

I think we're going to have to eventually worth through the ones under 10 seconds as well, because there might be music in there. There's 10 music tracks 14 seconds or less, and several are 11 and 12 seconds. There likely are actual songs that are under 10 seconds. We'll have to break these up into little packets and listen to them in a sequence, and pick out the music over a few weeks, and maybe distribute it between a few people.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

In my opinion there's really no point. Those little melodies aren't something that anyone would put in a playlist. Anything 30 seconds or longer is what we should keep - anything below that is probably not worth keeping. Of course, you can do it if you have the time & will for it but I don't. :p

4. Keavon

Keavon Well-Known Member

I got all the files separated and now I have a folder with just the music, and a few files that are kinda a mix of ambiance and music so I'm not sure if they should be included. I have those ones marked as such. Now they just all need to be named, but matching the names with those on the wiki, and coming up with titles for those that haven't been published.

Should I start a new thread asking for the community's help voting if the "maybe" ones should be included or discarded, as well as their help matching the songs' names and coming up with others?

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Sure, that's a good idea. I completely forgot about this over the last two days - can't believe you got through them all. Kudos! :)

6. Keavon

Keavon Well-Known Member

I don't currently have time to post the files in a way that people could help put the correct names on the files, vote which ambiance tracks should and should not be included, and help sort through the ones that are duplicates (some of the files are the same, or there are shorter and longer versions, so the shorter versions should be deleted).

Maybe this weekend or something I can get the time to do this.

7. h3X

h3X New Member

There are better tools to extract these files. I have all the files named and with the correct folder structure. I had to download a command-line executable from a creepy Russian site, but just scan it with whatever AV and you should feel safe enough. :)
    Here is the link I used, if it doesn't work for you I can up it somewhere else.
    http://rusfolder.com/36430011
    This link supposedly contains the same file:
    http://ul.to/3qf0v065

I got these links from this thread:
    http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10422&start=15

8. deadnote154

deadnote154 New Member

how can you open in vfs file unpack it with dragon unpacker 5

: .vfs, .vfs0, .vfs1, vfs, vfs0