How to be (Insert Country)

Discussion in 'Pointless Fun' started by NuclearWastE3, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

The Latin alphabet is very poorly adjusted for Slavic tongues (though Cyrillic isn't much better either), however you don't really mind it if you were raised using it as that's how you learn to pronounce those words - it's just the norm.

Suka is common across all Slavic languages. Tbh, most of the basic vocabulary (and hence many insults as well - which are usually derived from human anatomy or animals) are pretty much identical or at least very similar across all Slavic languages. Here is a useful link showing a bunch of shared or similar words with Slavonic roots across some of the Slavic tongues (it's a bit incomplete as it shows only 6 Slavic languages even though there are more than twice that many, but it's good enough to illustrate my point).

#21 Bamul, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016
  2. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

You call that long......Llanfair*pwllgwyngyll*gogery*chwyrn*drobwll*llan*tysilio*gogo*goch
    Oh, the Welsh

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Welsh really is a unique language... not only because it is so baffling, but also due to the fact it's the only surviving Celtic tongue with a fairly large amount of speakers. You know, of all the European languages, I think Welsh and Hungarian have always looked the weirdest to me in terms of the letter combinations (it's probably how Polish appears to most English speakers). :p

4. TheDarknessEnvelops

have you heard the Cornish language is being revived as well so that'll be another Celtic one. My Cornish heritage can finally be realised!!!

5. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Neat! Cool to see all the similarities; and I guess that's why you have said, in the past, one you basically understand what someone is saying (from a different country with a different tongue) because the languages are so closely tied.

I'm not sure if you meant it as a pun, but...
    [​IMG]

And if you haven't seen the latest boris video, it instructs how to cure a cold, the Slavic way. Also, you might want to just listen, with headphones on, at what happens at 0:41 seconds. Close your eyes and just listen. It sounds like boris has diarrhea. He even says "oy, blin!" to make it better xD
    [YOUTUBE]dIKzN0N__Lk[/YOUTUBE]

#25 NuclearWastE3, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
  6. TheDarknessEnvelops

It's not a pun, Cornish is an old celtic language from the county of cornwall in england

7. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Ohhhh, damn. Darkness, I misread your post :facepalm:
    I had read "relished" instead of "realized." That's why I thought it was pun since relishing corn is something a person might do as a cook. Don't ban me!

8. NuclearWastE3

Regular

I wish my life was like this:
    [YOUTUBE]ON-3I315hcE[/YOUTUBE]

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Instantly thought this kid was Polish due to the accent he has when speaking Russian. I'm not familiar with his channel, so I looked around in the comments and apparently he is Belgian/Polish, so I wasn't far off. :p

10. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Amazing! I sincerely thought this guy was Russian. When he spoke English, I sort of suspected a "false" accent, but then it vanished when he spoke Russian. That, and he also had a Kakalin dancing babushka at his side. Well, if this guy sounded like a phony to you, then I bet my Russian must sound like crap :lol:

11. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

How to be a Ace! Aussie,

Drink some amber fluid but do not give it to the ankle biting bastards near the black stump. The bodgy piss taker at bourke street was a bushranger chook who being all clucky at the coat hanger when the road went as dry as a dead dingos donger, he had some cunning as a dodgy dung rat with his thingummyjiviy, but i was gobsmacked when he went to the gabba with a gutfull of piss the mongrel liked his mollah thats for bloody sure to come the raw prawn is what i say.

Yes i speak like this in real life

12. NuclearWastE3

Regular

:rofl:

13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I'm not surprised, in the UK some people confuse Polish with Russian and vice versa. :p However, if you're no stranger to Slavic languages, you'll know that these two - despite the similarities - have completely different melodies, if you know what I mean.

Here are some things that are characteristic of Poles speaking or trying to speak Russian: slightly more frequent use of "psh" sounds; a completely different (kinda shorter) method of pronouncing vowels; old-fashioned way of voicing "Г" like "G" in words such as "его", where it ought to sound like a "V"; sometimes saying "О" normally in words where it should be an "А"; finally, "Л" they very often pronounce like the normal Polish "Ł", when it should sound more like how Poles who lived on the Kresy pronounced the "Ł" - unless it's softened by "ь", as in "ЛЬ", in that case it's closer to an ordinary "L".

Of course, Polish people who can speak Russian fluently don't make many of these mistakes, but it's difficult for them to really ditch the Northwest Slavic melody.

Heh, I love how varied English is. Even though it is generally an easier language than Polish, there are many more ways to speak it because in Poland there is less variety in accents across regions (there are some specific dialects and mini-languages like Silesian and Kashubian, but other than that you either sound like a native Pole or have a slightly more Northeast Slavic sound - which is usually how Belarusians, Ukrainians, and Russians sound when speaking Polish). With English there seems to be much more regional differentiation across Britain itself and then you have all the other variants in Australia, Canada, the USA, etc.

Can't remember whether I've linked to this on the forum before, but here's how English sounds in the area where I live:

(a joke song about sex that takes the piss out of the local "chavs")
    [YOUTUBE]ZJRqCq60Lc0[/YOUTUBE]

(a cover of the annoying "call me maybe" song, but sung using the local dialect)
    [YOUTUBE]UCOC1YwNwZw[/YOUTUBE]