How much sleep do you require?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by moneyman, Dec 20, 2015.

1. RumbarBrook

RumbarBrook Active Member
    Regular

The "joys" of being an unemployed online student include a weird sleep schedule. My sleep varies each day from a few hours to around 12. The least I've slept and felt wide awake was around twenty to thirty minutes. I was on an almost eight hour flight and hadn't gotten any sleep. I dozed off while watching a movie. When I woke up, it felt like I slept for ages.

2. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like to sleep for around 7-8 hours. I can function even with less, but I'm a little less efficient that way and I'm a lot more grumpy. When I get enough sleep I feel I'm a little easier to be around and it helps that my mind is a bit sharper too because even in a normal state I'm already a bit floaty and slow so every little bit of help counts for a lot.

daredevil likes this.
  3. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

Exactly. When I have little sleep, which is always, I am agitated easily and irritated as well. I tend to go through things without even experiencing them. Like I'd think, "Oh, it's the end of the day already?" And I don't even feel like I've done anything.

DeeDee likes this.
  4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Same here. The worst part is that I'm grumpy without even noticing it and by the time I realize it I am sometimes too late and I may have made some bad decisions because of it already. It's why I try to get as much sleep as I can because it really does affect the way I act.

daredevil likes this.
  5. SecretPaladin

SecretPaladin Active Member
    Regular

I require at least 8 hours of sleep to function properly, but lately I don't seem to be getting all the sleep that I need. I usually have to wake up at around 9 in the morning, and it's a hassle when you can't fall asleep until 3-4. Obviously, the brain doesn't work at its full capacity with 6 hours of sleep at best, but hey, free weeks are a gift from God, as I can sleep as much as I want!

6. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member
    Regular

I can comfortably get past the day on about five hours sleep. But its just staggering out of bed is the trouble so I set alarm for five hours but in the event that i just switch it off and go back to sleep I end up sleeping about nine hours. Work is the only thing that really stops me hitting the reset button. I once managed to do a 10 hour waiting shift on twenty minutes shallow sleep on the transport to work

7. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I get between 8~11 hours a day now, but I used to get way less sometimes. I prefer it so much more, alarms are unnatural and I always wake up feeling great! Me and the sun rise and fall together quite frequently.

8. daredevil

Regular

Yes, my husband has told me a couple of times how irritable I am because of my lack of sleep. Sadly, it's just how I'm supposed to work and I can't work on mornings since I have to take care of the household.

I hate how I snap at other people when I lack sleep. But I do know it's not intentional, it's just they don't know it.

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, it really is one of the more difficult things to manage because you don't realize you are getting affected by it until it's too late. It's the same for me when I'm hungry too. I often only realize how grumpy I was when I'm already rested and it's too late to explain to people what went wrong, but fortunately I just get grumpy in terms of demeanor.

daredevil likes this.
  10. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member
    Regular

I typically can bear with 4-5 hours, but if I get a chance I will sleep all can (holidays and weekends hehe).

11. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

On weekdays, I need at least 5 - 6 hours, but sometimes 8 hours if I'm really tired. And only 7 hours on weekends because I want to play games early as possible.

12. daredevil

Regular

Oh, yeah, what's the term for that... ah, "hangry." Lol. It's when you're hungry and angry at the same time. I imagine anyone with such a dilemma to be quite grumpy and irritable. Same goes for sleep-deprived people like me, unfortunately, there's no term for us. Haha!

13. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

Anywhere from 8 to 10 hours of sleep is usually perfect for me. I usually get only 7 to 9 hours though, haha. My friend thinks I'm insane, because somehow she can survive with only 4 hours of sleep, like all the time. I keep joking with her that it's because she stayed up playing MMO's for so long, she's built a tolerance.

14. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I sleep like a snorlax, so about 8-9 hours a day. Anything less and my body will be weary. It might not be to good for me to get the extra sleep,

15. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

I do pretty well with 5-6 hours of sleep. If I get any less I will need a catnap during the day to boost me a bit. On a regular day I get 6 so I'm pretty okay with sleep. During college I used to require 8 or so. I was always struggling with coping with social activities, studying etc. I was always late.

16. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Member
    Regular

I seem to require about 10 hours of sleep. That's alot i know. I sleep at night and then nap 2 to 3 hours during the day. It seems like that is normal for me.

17. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I don't keep track. I go to bed when I'm tired and get up when I have to or when I'm not tired anymore. I don't subscribe to the 8 hour myth that most people just blindly believe.

18. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Lol yes I have heard of that term. It really is pretty similar I agree and I also do wish there was a term for sleep deprived grumpiness as well though I'm sure someone somewhere out there already has thought of one already.

19. abonnen

abonnen Member
    Regular

I require about 4-5 hours of sleep but I would like to get about 7 each night (haha) usually I have a hard time falling asleep.

20. tony

tony Well-Known Member
    Regular

I use to sleep for around eight or nine hours a day when I wasn't that active online. Nowadays I manage between five and six hours of sleep I set aside weekend to sleep for more than ten hours in a bid to compensate for the missed hours.