How much do you care about your character's appearance?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by thisnthat, Mar 22, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

Are you more concerned with the quality of your gear of is appearance a big deal to you? When I first started playing World of Warcraft, all I cared about was how powerful my gear was.

Later, they introduced transmogrification, where you could use other pieces over your current gear to design your own outfits (with some limitations). I then began to care more about how my toons looked. I spent a good deal of time coming up with good looking sets.

At the end of every expac in World of Warcraft, there is time before the new one launches when the raids are mostly farmed and the PvP season are mostly done. This was a good time to run old raids and dungeons for gear to make attractive sets for your character model.

Is it important to you how your toons look?

2. Bakanyan

Bakanyan Member
    Regular

I care a lot for my character's appearance. If the battle gear is ugly, I'll unequip it as soon as I get out of fights. In towns and cities, I'll roam in flashy gear to make the new players jealous :p.

No, but seriously, I wouldn't pay to have my character look good but I would definitely do whatever I can do without paying to give him decent appearance. I'm the type of player that keeps several pieces of equipments ready and changes them on different occasions and places.

thisnthat likes this.
  3. thisnthat

Regular

You're definitely more into it than I was, but I get it. Now that I can make my toons look good, I want to do it. It was a pain to do before, because like you are saying, you had to change your gear (instead of covering it with transmog pieces like I can do in WoW now).

The biggest problem with that in WoW is showing up to a raid with a chef's hat on instead of your helm or going into a battleground without realizing you're still wielding a fishing pole instead of your weapon. I may or may not have done both, ha ha.

4. Bakanyan

Bakanyan Member
    Regular

A game that I frequently used to play (still play a little) has the option to change all of your equips at once with a hotkey. So I had a battle gear, a casually good looking gear and a party gear. It was fun to change through them with just a click.

That is a funny little experience that you have there. Personally, it hasn't happened to me but I can see it happening if I stop being overly sensitive about how my toon looks every single minute.

thisnthat likes this.
  5. thisnthat

Regular

Yeah, I should have added that they now have "equipment manager" too. It allows you to save whole sets of gear (or even partial if you just want to change a couple items). This way, you can change your set with the click of a button. Before, you could not, so some of those things happened.

It's like, dang, I'm not hitting very hard... then :oops:. Yeah, I guess I should put my weapon back on. lol

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd imagine that anybody who plays these types of games care about the appearance of the character that they have created. To people who aren't a lover of this genre of games, then I don't think that they get it because they don't take the gaming as serious as what we do.

MMORPG gamers are a lot more thorough I've found, and we like to make sure that every detail is the way that we want. I've yet to actually meet a gamer that plays these games that couldn't care less and starts a game without considering who or what the character is or looks like.

7. thisnthat

Regular

Well, yeah, I'm sure most people would actually prefer more customization when it comes to the actual character's looks. I meant more in terms of gear.

It wasn't that big of a deal to me in the past, as long as my gear was powerful. Sure, I would have liked more great looking gear too, but it wasn't a priority. That all changed when you could basically "play dress up" in WoW. I spent more time than I'd like to admit coming up with "outfits" once that was a thing.

Some people prefer sets that match while others like to piece together their own, creative, outfits. I like to do my own thing, although if it's a really great set, I might use a few pieces from it.

I don't care enough to pay real cash for cosmetics though (not in WoW anyway, since I already paid for the game and paid a sub).

8. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not that much since it's no big deal for me if my character's armor and other stuff doesn't look too good as long as it does a ton of damage. But most games that I play do have a good looking stuff in them so I didn't have problems regarding how my character looks like. Though there are some sets of armor that do not look awesome as the other sets I still wear them, but if they look really bad and do not give really good stats, I might as well keep what gear I'm wearing.

9. thisnthat

Regular

It's funny you say that. I knew a guy who was all about the looks even if it meant less power. He would even change his hairstyle and hair color to match his gear. If he got a drop, even if it was really good, he wouldn't use it if he thought it was ugly, ha ha.

I don't know what he did before transmog and barber shop. He must have been quite uptight. After, he'd wait to use a new item until he could make it match his set.

We used to tease him. "Is that weapon pretty enough for you, or should we pass it to someone else?"

Working Buck likes this.
  10. Working Buck

Regular

You'll know if it's pretty, he would absolutely grab it LOL! Well back in the days, I would even use gears that don't match as long as it gives me what I need. Armor if I'm a tank and Damage if I would need it. A strong character that looks bad is still strong, I would rather have that than a good looking character that would be ripped apart by other players easily.

11. thisnthat

Regular

Yeah, I'm with you. As a tank, I definitely wanted the best gear and didn't really worry about appearance. As a damage dealer, I wanted big numbers, powerful gear, the best enchantments. As a healer, I got to wear more robes and stuff and started getting more into the appearance.

Strong gear beats pretty gear any day and every day, but hey, if I can have both, why not? :D

12. Working Buck

Regular

I would definitely go with both of course LOL! But if I have to pick between something that looks whack but good in terms of stats and Something that looks awesome but can't really deliver something good, I would go with the whack one. I wouldn't want to be a player known to look good but would be a rag doll on PvPs.

thisnthat likes this.
  13. thisnthat

Regular

Definitely. I always tried to have the best gear and weapons I could get, but especially for PvP. I don't like getting destroyed by other players. Id doesn't matter how great you look in the graveyard, ha ha. You also need good gear for team play, so you don't let others down.

One thing that was really fun to do in PvP was to mask my top of the line gear. Transmog allows you to use one piece to cover another, so I would cover my good stuff with pieces that looked like starter gear. If they didn't inspect me, they would think I was wearing garbage armor on first glance, and think I'd be an easy kill. Then, they'd get a surprise. :p

14. Working Buck

Regular

I haven't played something like that but I think that's good. Looking bad to deceive the enemy LOL! And I do agree that you really need good gear for team fights. Imagine your a priest or some other healer type or a tank that looks so good because of the gear but all crap when someone hits you. That would be a big problem in team fights if the healer dies first.

15. thisnthat

Regular

Ha ha, yeah, it's pretty funny to do that to people. If they are paying attention, they'll see through that trick, but if they are the type to jump you at a glance, they might get beat up.

Well, my experience is mostly from World of Warcraft and in that game, the healer is the first and most attacked. I liked healing and was pretty good at it, so I spent a lot of time being beat on. :p

Killing the healer(s) can often be a game changer, so yeah, you don't want weak or under geared healers.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member
    Regular

I confess that I used to worry a lot about the characters' appearance when I first started playing in this gaming world, but over time that factor has become the least of my concerns.

I still worry about some specific items, but not with the whole thing.

17. thisnthat

Regular

I was just the opposite. I didn't care much when I first started playing World of Warcraft, but later on, I did. Mostly because I really couldn't do much about it in the beginning, but later they gave more options for customization.

I still like to go into this addon called Mogit that lets you design outfits. It's pretty cool really, since it will tell you which items you already have or where you can get the ones you don't have. You can save the outfits or change them later too.

It's fun to put together some cool sets and then go out and see if you can obtain all the pieces. Sometimes, doing this sends you all over the World (of Warcraft).

18. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that's exactly what makes it all more interesting: the change in the field of vision of every player. :D

Each one of us sees many aspects through different points of view and everything makes the game and the interaction between the players even better. As I said before, I still care about the characters' appearance... But it's not that important anymore. :)

19. thisnthat

Regular

When I stopped playing competitively, I needed something else to do. That's where hunting for various pieces came into play.

Plus, there is a content lull at the end of every expansion, so other people are looking for stuff to do too. I'd even set up some contests to see who could come up with the best gear sets, and give out gold for prizes. It was a good way to keep people in my guild busy over the long months between expacs. We'd go do old raids and dungeons together or farm rare mats to craft odd pieces. Then, we'd strut our stuff, ha ha.

20. TheArticulate

TheArticulate Member
    Regular

I am usually indifferent to the appearance of my character. I'm usually more interested in jumping right into game and playing. Aside from picking a race or class due to differing stats that may come with them, I'll usually run into game with whatever setup is provided to me or with minimal editing of appearance.

A high school friend and I had a discussion which sticks with me on this topic. We'd both been playing Mass Effect 2 quite a bit, and he made a comment that he spent way too much time customizing his Commander Shepard before entering game. He looked at me and said, "don't tell me you played with Default Male Shepard". To which I responded, "yes, I did." I didn't customize him at all, and just ran into game to start playing.

pmk1996 likes this.