How many computers have you owned?

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by moneyman, Dec 21, 2015.

1. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

As the tile says can remember the number of laptops/desktops you have owned in total?

I have owned 2 desktops and three laptops. I still own one desktop for gaming and one laptop for doing school projects. The previous ones have been too old or they have stopped working and therefore I got rid of them.

2. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Hm. I had three desktops since 1999 which can kinda give you an overview of how fast I adept haha. I did upgrade them along to prolong their lifespan though. I still have the first laptop I ever got, although I got it in 2013 so it wasn't that long ago.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

3, and right now I have a laptop that's built for gaming which serves me nicely. I upgraded my pc's up to the brim so that's why I didn't have many over the time.

4. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh my.,....

Ever? I probably have owned somewhere around 12, total. That sounds like a lot, but we're talking close to 20 years of ownership, and buying for more than one person. At any point in time, there's at least 3 computers in my household.

5. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

6 desktops and 2 laptops so far. Gonna have to upgrade my desktop soon haha. I rarely burn through laptops since I use them to browse the internet and do some documents so there's not much need to upgrade as much.

6. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's my fourth PC that I have got now. My first PC used to be an already-rusty one, and couldn't even play flash games. That happened back in 2004. Ever since then, it seems that things have changed a bit ... much. Great thing I didn't own Internet at all... dial-up would've really grinded my gears.

7. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh man it's been so long since I counted. I've owned maybe three desktops and three laptops over years with varying degrees of damage, usage and sentimentality. I have one laptop and desktop that I still keep for emergencies and storage. I usually just give them away or sell it but I just couldn't drop the other two for security reasons.

8. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

That seems to be a big number of owned devices, man! I personally would have never invested so much, but whatever floats your boat I guess!

9. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

Give yourself a decade, evelination, you'll end up with a number like that eventually. It's not that big scattered over many years, when you figure how fast technology outdates itself.

10. leahcim132

leahcim132 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I never had a desktop so 0. As for laptops, I probably owned around 5 or 6. I'm currently using a big laptop at home and a small notebook for school since it's much lighter to carry around.

11. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Honestly it's not that bad if you upgrade components or use it so much that it's a tool which drives cost per use way down. My PCs are used constantly so I burn through them faster- but they can handle the abuse. Then with upgrades of certain components that keep my PC up to date can go really far before I have to totally build a new PC from scratch. I've only owned 2 laptops in my lifetime so far because they're so lightly used.

12. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

That isn't a very big amount over time and if you know what you are doing it would take minimal investment.

13. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Of the course of my life, if you include tablets, than the total would be around 8.

14. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

2 desktops and 4 Laptops. None of the specifically gaming laptops, but best in class.

15. TheNapier

TheNapier Member
    Regular

Hmm, lets see.
    1. My first computer, not sure of the brand...
    2. Red iMac G3
    3. Gateway
    4. Acer
    5. Acer Laptop
    6. iMac 2010
    7. Macbook Pro
    8. Custom Build (still using the iMac as a screen)

16. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice
    Regular

I have owned three computers. A generic and bulky mid 90s computer, a 2003 prebuilt Dell, and my current rig, which I built myself.

17. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have owned two desktops and three laptops. The first desktop is HP, the second one is bits and pieces of different brands. The three laptops are HP, Compaq and MacBook Pro.

18. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member
    Regular

Lets see:

1. 80286 @ 16Mhz 1MB Ram
    2. 80386 @ 40Mhz 4Mb Ram
    3. 80486SX @ 66Mhz 16Mb Ram
    4. AMD K5 @ 133 Mhz 64Mb Ram
    5. Pentium 3 @ 500 Mhz
    6. Pentium 4 @ 1.8 Ghz
    7. i7 @ 3.2 Ghz 8Gb Ram

Seven!

19. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

Wow dude, you remember all of your systems pretty clearly :) I like the latest system you have with a 3.2 GHz, that's the right kind of laptop. Mine runs on 3.2 with turbo.

20. coolyfrost

coolyfrost Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have owned two desktops and two laptops. The first desktop was a prebuilt HP Slim desktop which I used for many years to play Pirates of the Caribbean Online, my first proper MMO. Then, I had an ASUS laptop (can't remember the model) with quite modest specs. Then, I got the desktop which I have now with a GTX770, 8GB of RAM and an FX-8350. I also have a Chromebook from school which is quite useful for battery life and portability reasons.