How many beginner players do decently well, but lose it with friends?

Discussion in 'League of Legends (MOBA)' started by NativeScot, Oct 5, 2015.

1. NativeScot

NativeScot New Member

I myself, tend to find that I do decently well at the game when playing on my own, with intermediate bots or whatever... but the soon as I play with a friend, I completely lose it and do not as good.

I was just curious to see how many other people are like this?

2. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm the same. A bot can never compare to a real player (I'm prepared to be wrong about this) so I guess its normal. I think you feel more confident when you play with a bot than with a person.

3. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have also faced the same problem and it happens quite often. However, I agree with the poster above that it won't be the same playing against computer controlled bots since they do not act anywhere close like a human player.

4. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yep it's the stress and the pressure to be better that gets ya. I try to show off to my friends and I just fail man it's better for you if you master a champion first before showing off a new champion to friends. AI is for practice-- play with bots first and you'll be fine.

5. p4lse

p4lse Active Member
    Regular

This is exactly my problem as well. I do amazingly well when I play alone as I feel no pressure and I could casually play my game. But when I'm with my friends, they usually play in a clowny matter and we end up losing. I can't ditch them as they're my friends but its getting hard to play with them.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Since I used to play competitively I learned to not feel pressured when I play with my friends or in tournaments. I actually do better when I'm playing with my friends since I coordinate better with them.

7. JC_224

JC_224 Active Member
    Regular

As a long time player of 5+ years, I'd highly recommend starting to move from playing any kind of bot games and queuing up by yourself. The reason I suggest this is because League of Legends matchmaking takes into account not only your skill (MMR), but also your friends or whoever you'e playing with and then averages it out. This means that if your friends are much more experienced than you, you will be matched with players that are closer to their skill level rather than your own. This is a big disadvantage if you're still trying to learn new things, plus it's simply not fun to lose every game.

8. Astdua

Astdua Well-Known Member
    Regular

They have a system in place which puts your MMR way higher than it should when you play with an experienced friend(they detect if he's better than the rest of the players). I would suggest to queue up alone for normal PvP so you get matches vs regular newbies and learn the ropes. Use Bot games just to test out champs and abilities, because otherwise you dont gain much from it.

9. duke1101

duke1101 Active Member
    Regular

I think this is dependent on how you are talking to your friend. If you are both on Skype, Teamspeak, etc, then you will be talking to them and be less focused. When you are by yourself you can think better and act more focused. When I am playing with friends I tend to find that we talk a lot and get distracted from the game which causes a slight performance loss. Also if your friend is a much higher rank and you start playing with them then you will play against harder enemies so you will do worse.

10. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

Back in 2011-2012, I didn't use to lose any game due to emotion, but due to the level difference between me and my friend (15-to-30), and back then Riot didn't have a neat match-up system whatsoever. Rarely, but very rarely did I get any 13-14 level guy in my team or in the opposite one. Most of the times were just level 28 to 30. Ugh, the struggle! But I learned much faster that way and developed another level of reflex.

11. Belovedad

Belovedad Well-Known Member
    Regular

Simple explanation. RIOT's matchmaking is bad. But you can't necessarily blame them because your plat 5 friends that invite you at level 4 to play with them is the reason it's bad. You basically have to play against 1 or more person who is experienced with the game and you ultimately get crushed.

12. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think I've said this before but I'll do again, whenever you play with friends you have a less professional so to call it way of playing because you are rather focusing on your friends an the fun you are having rather than the gameplay or impact you are having in the match and this could result in a loss.

13. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

The matchmaking is just horrible to begin with. It his situation, it could just be that your friends are just much better, which is likely compared to a bot. I would just find a better matchup for your skill level.

14. Potausen

Potausen Active Member
    Regular

When I started out, I never had problems playing with friends. In fact, it was quite the opposite. I always did better when I was with a friend and I was bored when playing alone.

15. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am the same way but I think I'd agree with belovedad with this in that it's probably mostly due to matchmaking. If you always get people on the same skill level then I don't think it would be that much difference but sadly that is easier said than done since it's not something that you could expect at all times.

16. JusApee

JusApee Well-Known Member
    Regular

When I was a beginner I often did well by myself playing with vs AI or normals. Ohh! And back then, you were actually given IP for playing customs by yourself with full bots. Now, customs are not so beginner-friendly, but the Intro bots were added. I always lost or ended up being useless when I played with friends because they were all higher levels and wouldn't help me at all. I've got the hang of the game and pretty much overcame them all now :D

17. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the competitive aspect against a friend is what makes you take certain risks that you normally wouldn't against a bot. That's what happens to me at least. Whenever I play against a friend I take the dumbest risks just because I'm in a more competitive mindset.

18. GenevB

GenevB Well-Known Member
    Regular

This is simply how it usually happens. Lots of good players get lost along the way because of their friends who can't play, won't play good, or simply do troll game. I know people who got in some kind of "purgatory" as I like to call it, because they want to play with their friends, once specific friend to be more exactly, yet they want to advance, and that is almost impossible, to carry on that person who simply has no skill at all and also advance through the divisions.

19. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

You shouldn't compare bots to real people. Bots have patterns, have predetermined builds. Playing with other people is the only true way to improve your game, since you actually have to outsmart and outplay another person. The reason why you are good with bots is because they are basically tutorial, to get your knowledge and confidence up so you can challenge real people in the game. Playing bots won't make you world champ, that's for sure.

20. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member
    Regular

Honestly I never take games with my friends all that serious because LoL can be a real destroyer of friendships. Especially if your skill levels are all over the place, it can become a burden to play with games. I'd never play bot games with them though that sounds a little bit too boring, I can't see any excitement on beating the bots with your friends when you could be beating on some real people and possibly trash talking them (LoL's best feature)