How long do you usually play a MMORPG before quitting?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, May 8, 2016.

1. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

For me, only one MMORPG - Lineage 2 took me more than a year before my addiction wore off. Most other MMORPG I have played only lasted for days or weeks. Unless you count Neverwinter Nights (1) and (2), which both I spent many months on some persistence world server.

What about you guys? How long do you play each MMORPG before quitting?

2. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I don't have an average amount of time. I play until it stops being interesting or until it's changed into something I don't like.

Oh, and you didn't have an addiction. Please don't abuse that word. Addiction is a serious disease with a clinical definition and clear parameters. Something you spend a lot of time on or a habit isn't necessarily an addiction. Addictions don't wear off. They are a serious lifelong chronic condition.

3. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

It depends. If the game is really that interesting and constantly evolving I will stick with it for very long but I try to manage my obsession. It helps that I mostly just watch streams and tournaments for the most part so I'm not really spending too much time playing so I don't tire that easily.

4. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Addiction has no time limit. You can be addicted to something for a limited time or until you die. I call skipping meals and sleep to do something you are very interested in as "addiction". During that one year, I was truly addicted. Everything else I do was put after playing the game (if I still do it afterward lol), including eating, sleeping, and studying. I got bored eventually and that's when the addiction wore off. By that time, one year had passed since I started the game.

5. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Addictions do not wear off. Addiction is a life long chronic condition. You are using an inaccurate colloquial definition of the word. You were not addicted.

6. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've been playing FF14 for about two years now pretty consistently, taking a few smallish breaks during the first few months. For the past year and a half now, I've been subbed the entire time. Unlike a lot of MMO's, Square Enix is super good with consistent, quality content updates so I've never really felt like I've wanted to quit.

7. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I played UO for about 4-5 years, then quit because of a bad expansion. Then I went to Earth and Beyond, but about 6 months into it, they announced it was closing down. I then started WOW a few months after it launched and have played it up until last year. At the same time I played WOW, I also played a lot of DDO when WOW was in content droughts. I never grind gear.. basically once I beat the raid, that is it for me for that content patch. Get all my alts to level cap, and see the content once on my main, and then play DDO.

I quit WOW last year and havenĀ“t played many MMORPGs until last week trying UO again.

8. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've been wanting to try this game out since forever. Now that I have a bit more time I'm thinking of picking it up. I'm sure I'll get hooked on it too. If it's really that good I'll probably play it for years since I do tend to go that far with games I grow to love.

9. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

It depends on how many of my friends play. I honestly would not still be playing the MMO I main, if my best friend didn't play it also. She's literally one of the only reasons I both to log on anymore, since it's one of the ways we hang out with each other. I used to play Gaia Online's zOMG! (Shut up I know, I was like 13.) but since almost none of the my friends played it, I stopped after several months. Come August I'll have been playing my main (Vindictus) a year. A lot of people say the game is dying out, but I don't really think so. We just got a new director, who has promised to stop making new characters (We have 9 playable characters already, enough!) and instead is planning on new content, like raids and new battle areas. Which should breathe some life back into the game.

10. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

It took me 8 years to get off Ragnarok completely and I didn't have a choice already back then because I was away from my personal computer a lot, I graduated college and I suppose I just grew out of it. But if I installed Ragnarok now, gaming in a private server probably then I might still be addicted again.

11. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

It looks like some of you guys had much longer playing time for the games you liked. Maybe you weren't spending as much as I did on daily basis when you were still playing.

At the peak, I was spending every minute playing besides using the restroom and very little sleep. I was eating in front of the screen. I guess such way of playing was not sustainable. It burnt me out quicker than casual players who might actually stay in the game much longer in the term of years (while the hours spent on the game were not as many).

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

It depends on the game. For example, I played Dragon Nest for a week before I gave up on it, simply because it was a boring game that took a lot of grinding to get through.On the other hand I've been playing League of Legends for 6 years.

13. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

A MMORPG which you have only played for a week must mean it was not interesting enough for you to continue. I have also tried my fair share of MMORPG from anywhere between a few hours to a few weeks. I do not count anything less than a week as I have actually played it for real. There were countless of them I found boring and repetitive, or rather too similar to all of the others.

I should change the title of the MMORPG actually interested you.

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Dragon Nest was interesting and the characters were cool, but not a lot of people played it at the time and you had to do a lot of grinding to even get proper starter items. Not a game I'm willing to invest my time in.

15. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well as long as I am enjoying the whole experience and the community, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stay as long as the game exists. But if ever I get some problems like I'm grinding too hard and I can't feel the excitement anymore I would definitely quit playing. Like now, I am playing League but since it isn't as fun as before, I'm starting to just troll whenever I play. I mean the community isn't that good in the server I'm playing in. Once one of my team mates started trash talking, it would be feeding time and helping the enemy team locate the jungler.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member
    Regular

I never set a time when I'm playing MMORPG (that would make me totally out of focus :eek:), so... I keep playing until the moment that I think the game is interesting.

Giving up has never - and it never will - be a part of my vocabulary. :cool:

17. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

For me it really depends on the game itself and the story. I can usually play an MMORPG for a while, up to a couple months before getting a bit bored with it and moving on to the next game. Then I might go back to play it.

18. Shine_Spirit

Regular

For me, it's a pretty basic concept: if the story or the execution of the game doesn't catch my attention = game over. :D

19. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is more of the gameplay itself as well as the controls and graphics. But those other elements do come into play.

20. Shine_Spirit

Regular

Yeah, I kinda agree with you. Everything ends up being part of the same package, haha! So, it's fine by me. :D