How Good it is, how bad reviewers look at it

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by CeeDaRula, Jan 20, 2014.

1. CeeDaRula

CeeDaRula New Member

Hi All, :wave: I post this here because it really bothered me how reviewer's "review" games. Yes, for this I use IGN.

This game is so underrated; it's unique and fresh. The one thing that did bother me was it not having a co-op and the protagonist not speaking. I brought this game used for $14.99 thinking "ehh...why not". To my surprise the game is awesome and defiantly worth more used. Don't care about MP when it comes to a game like this, but co-op would have been the icing on the cake. While I know most reviewers have limited time to play a game, rate it, and write a review for the public to read and make a judgment call on wither to buy the game, way to many games get low ratings they don't deserve, and way to many large money makers like the Call Of Duty franchise get ratings they don't deserve. It would take a person 20 minutes or less to see how sad the Single player story is and how regurgitated that game is with nothing truly fresh and new.

The largely read reviewer websites seem to learn towards writing good reviews because of how famous the game is, and how many of people love this first Person Shooter game. This makes them project themselves when writing a review as Call Of Duty fan boys and not a neutral reviewer . Scott Lowe headline for COD is "Old dog, new tricks" and having a "Exceptional campaign" Really? Seems to me like old dog with a big budget that can do a quick slight of hand right in your face to make it seem like it has new tricks. Also, COD games have never been seen in any way form or fashion as having even a good campaign, so-so at most. I won't go as far as saying there's some money being passed underneath the table, but the final verdict of 8.8 "Great" is way too high and 7.2 "Good" for Metro: Last light is way too low.

Colin Moriaty's Metro: Last Light Story Review:

Colin Moriarty starts off calling it "an interesting story-driven single-player-only FPS. It undoubtedly rewards methodical players" but goes on to say that "the last third of its 10-hour campaign is weaker than everything that came before it". The story is different as it takes a different path instead of taking the usual "hero company saves all, We killed who did this" route. While Colin was "longing for more about the Nazis and Communists" (must like those older war movies) and wanted it to be focused on "politics and personalities " (like we haven't seen and heard enough politics in games as well as in real life to last a life time), This would have taken the game down the "normal" and "predictable" story path and ending. I liked the German version of "The X-Files" type story, but agree more personality would have been nice.

Which brings me to my last point, There is a part that at times can plague smaller companies when a game first comes out...game freezes and/or glitches. So what did Colin have to say? He wrote "Folks around the office playing the game on Xbox 360 have experienced some console freezing and crashing while playing the game". While not a excuse (as the game should have been tested more before release, even more so as a smaller company) the lack of resources the bigger companies can afford can hinder them when trying to getting a game out there to make a return on the investment they put into it. For me as I was a late comer to the game, the patches that I had to download when I first started the game, 4A games must of fixed these issues as I have not come across these issues on my Xbox 360.

Keep up the great work guys/gals. pssst, remember.....co-op. :peace:

2. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

cough* reviewers buy out* cough

3. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Sees IGN HAHAA!!!!! use CVG

4. Skaara Dreadlocks

I don't get what makes so many people think 'definitely' is written 'defiantly'...
    Anyway, good review or whatever :)
    *Cough*Unofficial forums*cough*

5. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Must be an act of defiance ;)