How Do You Deal With a Poor Player on Your Team?

Discussion in 'League of Legends (MOBA)' started by NikkiR, Mar 24, 2016.

1. NikkiR

NikkiR Member
    Regular

I'm not looking to hear about how you cuss them out and insult their mothers. I want to know what tips and tricks you have for dealing with a player that just is not good at the game yet.

I often play with friends who are not very good. when my team can pre-plan we usually make sure the strongest Jungler plays Jungle. The Jungle role allows us to compensate for the weak player since they can set up ganks or camp a lane if the player is really struggling.

If the weak player Is not on our team and we have no warning we usually try to move the game towards the group fight stage early so that they can not feed their lane to badly.

2. Cloud

Cloud Member
    Regular

Ask them to stay back in lane and just try to farm until we group. Definitely get the jungler to camp a strong lane to overcompensate for the weak one if they're managing to stay afloat. They're usually the first to die in teamfights so it's important to make sure that the rest of us can hold our own/go somewhat even in a 4v5.

3. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I just try and do my best until they are able to farm up. I don't mind losing anyway so I don't really get that much frustrated, and I have also introduced a lot of new players to the game so I am very much used I playing with beginners. I just treat it like I'm missing a team member and consider it a handicap which makes victories that much sweeter.

4. KaseyHopeMartin

Regular

Well, poor players are caused by several things: A- Trolls, B- Inexperience or C- people who simply don't want to teamwork it. That's the bad thing about a MOBA, if you get one bad player who refuses to work or listen to you then you can bring the whole team down if the other team are all strong in synchronization.

The best thing to do is to give advice. Advise them to farm it out if they get behind instead of trying to get kills. Make sure to emphasize the fact that it's not about who gets the kills, it benefits the whole team if you get a kill so if a support accidentally takes it don't rage!

Also remember you could be dealing with a younger kid. There are a lot of youngsters who play LoL, so if you cuss them out you're liable to be cussing out a 10 year old, which is pretty lame if you ask me. Kids are supposed to be annoying. It's what they do. lol.

Try not to lose patience and don't be a sore loser. The key thing is to remember you're not going to win them all, and there will be times where you have someone who is not playing at their best that day. EVERYONE has bad days, or everyone was new at one point in time. So give advice the best you can, the most the other person can do is either acknowledge it and take it and get better, or they don't. Just try to have fun!

5. Belovedad

Belovedad Well-Known Member
    Regular

Just ignore them an focus on your game, if you can get fed enough or stall the game to a point where early feeding doesn't matter then you have good chance to win.

6. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, I think mentality plays a large portion in these competitive games. Just try to keep the morale up and try to teach that player nicely. If they're toxic about it and respond negatively, that's their problem and you should focus on your own game.

7. NikkiR

NikkiR Member
    Regular

I completely agree. It is very easy to work with players if you don't blame them or tell them they are doing horribly. as long as everyone is having fun poor players seem much more receptive to constructive feedback.

I often try to make sure that I acknowledge whenever they have done something well. Positive reinforcement works so much better than anything negative.

8. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I coach them! You have no idea how many people would be better if someone just took the time to be respectful and explain to them what they are doing wrong...they might just need a few years, being an ass to them does nothing

9. GenevB

GenevB Well-Known Member
    Regular

Depending on your goal, if you aim for fun then you just try to help him and explain him some tips you already know for his position and his character, if you aim for greatness then you just cut him away from the team when you'll play again. Sacrifices have to be made in order to advance in rank.

10. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

LOL, I'm usually the poor player, so I can't answer the question. In all seriousness, I'm usually pretty patient and try to help them in a particular situation. It really doesn't help to berate them. They are usually aware they are the poorest player.

11. Benoit W

Benoit W Well-Known Member
    Regular

surе ... unlеss yоu hаd my luсk аnd gоt АFK еrs in аll yоu lаst rаnkеd gаmеs! ... оh right didn't gоt а аfkеr in оnе аnd оwn it... оr unlеss yоu gеt just sоmе hypеr sеnsiblе pеоplе thаt gеt upsеt аbоut аnything аnd gо АFK ... yоu knоw whаt... sоmе gаmеs аgо I hаd 2 АFK оn my tеаm!!! 2 fоr gоds sаkе!

аnd I gоt аfk plаyеrs оn аlmоst аll оf my gаmеs lаtеly, аnd thе оppоnеnt did nоt...

lооk I m nоt sаying I m thе bеst plаyеr оut thеrе, I m аvеrаgе, but rеаlly whеn 1/5 rаnkеd gаmеs I plаy dоеs nоt hаvе а АFK plаyеr оn my tеаm, sоmеthing is wrоng, I dоn't еvеn еxpесt tо win mоst оf my gаmеs but this trеnd is gеttign stupid.

12. TryHard

TryHard Active Member
    Regular

I typically try to shot call a bit. I'll give them some advice if I know the champion and/or the matchup.

If they are starting to tilt or get toxic, I try and get them to focus and not complain. since complaining usually just makes the whole team tilt a little bit. Everyone plays like shit sometimes. So if there is something that might help I say it.

I also start making jokes if I think they can handle it (sometimes at their expense, but usually not unless its also advice) Lighten the mood. This doesnt always work, but it at makes me a bit happier if nothing else.

I'd rather have a feeder than I flamer! (preferably not either thou)

13. Potausen

Potausen Active Member
    Regular

I usually play with a full team, but when we are 4 people, we don't really care what the other guy does or about his skill level. As long as he isn't toxic and enjoys the game, we can do the same. We don't care about the champion or the role he picks and we all hope to have some good fun.

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

It depends on the role he's playing, but for the most part I let him feed as much as possible, he's worth nothing if he's 0/5/0 for example. I try to switch focus to other lanes and objectives so we get advantages that way.

15. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am the same way especially since I mostly just play on casual anyway where it doesn't affect ranking so I don't care if someone is playing poorly as i can just see it as an added challenge. It's only when there's two or more inexperienced players that it gets a bit more frustrating but even then it can still be a learning experience and definitely still enjoyable if you know how or know to put in the effort to see the bright side.

16. JusApee

JusApee Well-Known Member
    Regular

First of all, I try to help him by giving him advice. However, most players with a low IQ take that advice totally wrong, by thinking that I think that I'm superior to him. And because of the ego of the typical League player, that's not admissible. I get everyone has bad games, but don't be an ass about it.
    If he doesn't take my advice and starts raging, I simply ignore him.

17. Gombafej

Gombafej Member
    Regular

I try to encourage them. Everyone has bad games. I just try to focus on my stuff and get ahead even more to carry them.

18. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I principally ask him to do the things he has to do peacefully, if everything gets rough I still try to deal with it peacefully, if he is messing up the whole game and seems to be intentionally, he deserves a whole bulk of reports.

19. GenevB

GenevB Well-Known Member
    Regular

I guess that would be the best approach when it comes about a player the game has chosen for you, and you haven't known him before, but I never heard about anyone getting his account suspended because of reports.

20. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

Ask them if they are new to the game. If they say yes, then I'd give them advice. The basics on what to do with the character, items to buy, warn him about incoming ganks, etc. He will appreciate it, and your teamwork is a lot better now. Swearing and yelling won't do anyone any good. Everyone learns from the beginning. There are no shortcuts to this game. You just keep practicing and learning from others who have been there before you. That's what I do.