How do yo choose your name in MMOs?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by thecorinthian, Aug 18, 2015.

1. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I just generate it randomly by using my previous player names in the video games and if it is taken then simply add some random characters or a birth year.

2. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member
    Regular

I try to keep in tone with whatever game I'm playing, though I have grown a liking to naming them after myself (a guilty pleasure) lately. Back in pre Wow days I would just come up with silly or funny names, testing the name filters :3

3. Astdua

Astdua Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have a tradition of using my old names from way back, and re-using them wherever I go on multiple games. Most of them just sounded cool at the time and stuck with me, without much specific meaning.
    That or inside jokes/memes/puns with my friends that I find funny.

4. Wick99

Wick99 Well-Known Member
    Regular

For non serious online games like SMITE I just use my Steam handle. However, in lore heavy games or role playing ones I try and pick something that fits the theme and the time period.

5. p4lse

p4lse Active Member
    Regular

I have a fixed nickname where I randomly got it when I first started out gaming. It became my go-to ID for all the games I play. I don't change my nicknames and keep it constant.

6. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I use name generators for the race that I am playing. For example, if I am playing an elf, I would google elven name generators and pick a name that I like. I`m really into roleplay in this case, and would never name my character Kickass454 or some such rubbish.

7. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

In my honest opinion, it would be silly to use your real name in any of the online situations including for gaming.
    You should always make up a user name when you are online and it should not represent or closely related to any of your private sensitive information.

When I choose user names for gaming, I usually either make them up or randomly pick from any movie/book etc.

8. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

Ha, ha, you reminded me of the fact I don't have the same name on any MMO I play as they're all selected by randomly generating them with free online generators. A funny one I've got a while back is "The Buzzkiller"... haha, really?

9. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't know honestly. I like to get a hold of the fictional race and think of a name that would be fitting, but otherwise I just think of a name and it pops into my mind. Often times it's cliched, or a flat out copy of a name I've heard somewhere else, but I like it nonetheless. I also like to use my real name when I know it won't be used, like for example in Mass Effect story.

10. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I generally use my real name if not that then I used color based names mot of the type like "Blue" or "Gray".

11. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I use my name based on the transformers bots. And it seems to be working out for me. I guess for each one of us it could be different. I have found that working for most of the forums. No conflict of names from what I have seen.

12. NerdIndeed

NerdIndeed Well-Known Member
    Regular

I usually name mine with keyboard references such as "Capslock" or "Shift."

13. Lissiel

Lissiel Member
    Regular

I just use my nickname sometimes when I could not pick any good name for my character. I also choose depending on what job is my character, when I had a ringmaster in flyff and priest in Ragnarok, I named them "HelpingHand". I make sure that I'm happy with my character's name or else I'm going to make another character.

14. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member
    Regular

I choose names basing on whetheer the have 'good taste' in my ears. I also tend to pick on the ones that are related to something I have heard of before.

15. NerdIndeed

Regular

On all the MMORPGs that I played, I always use the same name as to promote familiarity. I also select female characters to at least motivate me to play, seeing a sexy figure on the screen when times get boring.

16. mynameisshieldler

mynameisshieldler Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree.

17. mynameisshieldler

mynameisshieldler Well-Known Member
    Regular

Definitely.

18. Annejk18

Annejk18 Well-Known Member
    Regular

We are the same. I also based my name in Mythology gods. Or greek names of Goddesses. It's pretty unique for me.

19. NerdIndeed

Regular

Here we go again.