How did you get into MMORPGs?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 16, 2015.

1. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member
    Regular

Runescape was the gateway for me. I was probably the latest in my year group at the time to get a computer and internet in my house. I didn't get internet access until 2005. But I remember one of the first things I did as soon as it was all set up was create a Runescape account. Back then almost all the guys in my year group had an account so I was clamoring to get in on the discussion during school.

I was the last in but since I still log on once every week. I definitely will be the last to leave if I do indeed leave the game.

I lost a lot of time on Puzzle Pirates and Myth War Online as well

2. Kalabrink

Kalabrink Member
    Regular

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but the first online multiplayer role-playing game I really got into was Adventure Quest. There was an advertisement for it on another game, and I was a bored 12 year old. It was a flash-based browser game, so I could play for hours on my cheap computer without downloading it.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  3. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member
    Regular

Played plenty of other game sbefore MMOs but originally I got into MMos when my brother went out to get us a copy of EverQuest (1 ) and he got a game called Asheron's Call instead thinking that was the game. Turns out that game was just way better than EQ (i played it later on in my life) and it set the foundation of my MMORPG gaming history, I have since played..almost every MMORPG to date.

4. Kayla Bishop

Kayla Bishop Member
    Regular

I started out playing Club Penguin. After awhile my account got banned for no reason, so I moved onto Runescape. I've been playing it for ten years now, and I still love it! I can't play may MMORPG games because my internet is so slow, but with Runescape who needs other games?

5. isaac.kracoff

isaac.kracoff Member

My first MMO was Anarchy Online, back in mid-2001. Every once in a while I get tempted to re-install it (I think my account should still be active), but I know it'd just be empty nostalgia. Good times, though...

6. Funky Fingers

Funky Fingers Active Member
    Regular

My brother got me into them a while ago. As soon as I got my pc, he was on me about playing them. I don't regret him attracting me towards playing them either :)

7. Player7

Player7 Active Member
    Regular

I started playing Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast and had a great time meeting people from all around the world. It was all very new to me and since it was near the early 2000's I saw it as an appealing super advanced option for gaming. Then came Ragnarok Online and with that game I was able to hook several of my classmates to it. I also tried some free MMORPGS when they started appearing and nowadays just play games casually.I would love to play Phantasy Star Online again though, especially after knowing that a sequel exists although it hasn't been released on the western side of the world.

8. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I never paid much attention to this genre before because I always felt like it would require a lot of dedication and time, but recently I came across a mobile MOBA that was simple enough so I decided to give it a shot and from then on I was hooked. I feel it's a lot less complex than many hardcore players would prefer but personally I think it a just complex enough that it still wouldn't be boring even for those players. Since then I've been watching videos and researching and I am having so much fun with it and I can safely say that I finally have a bit more understanding on why people get super obsessed with these types of games.

9. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member
    Regular

Haha, don't be embarrassed with that, that sounds like the perfect gateway into MMOs. Ultimately it lead to (what I hope) were many hours of fun, so there's nothing wrong with that. :)

I know exactly what you mean. It's weird how something you've spent hours upon hours in but have since moved on just doesn't feel the same when you return. I like this term, "empty nostalgia".

Wow, Phantasy Star Online! A game way, way ahead of its time, and on a console no less. That's awesome.

10. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice
    Regular

I got into MMOs when I got into gaming, which was when I was around 14~15. I didn't have the money to pay for a WoW subscription, so I just played F2P games like Maplestory, and later DFO when it came out. They got me hooked, and I haven't looked back since. Nowadays Wildstar is my jam, though.

11. SimiWolfie

SimiWolfie Active Member
    Regular

My girlfriend introduced me to MMOs. I honestly only really played classic games. My favorite console was, and always will be, the Nintendo 64. I hadn't even considered playing the playstation 3 until I moved in with my girlfriend, and she slowly got me playing a wider variety of games, including games like Skyrim and Naughty Bear. I don't regret it, but MMOs aren't my favorite, no.

12. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

World of Warcraft was my first MMO. After that I've never really looked back. I don't have that much time now, but I still play ESO all the time, and its probably better that I don't have that much time. Otherwise, I would have spent my entire time playing MMOs :)

13. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

My friend bought FFXI for ps2. Went to his house one day and he was wandering around in Sarutabaruta near the outpost, the scenery, the newness and having never seen an MMO before, it was amazing. People started messaging him and offered him a linkshell and paid to upgrade him from leather armor to scale armor...it was awesome. I ended up getting the game for my bday a week or so later.

14. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes of course.
    I was a long time video gamer long before I got into MMORPGs.

I tried even DOS games when I was little, a well as varies console and handhold game devices.

I did not get into modern PC games until Red Alert (Command and Conqueror) in 1997. So RTS games were the first time of modern PC games I have played. Followed by Starcraft which was still a RTS. Before I got into varies FPS games such as Quake 2, Half-Life and all its mods such as Counter-strike, Teamfortress, Day of Defeat, etc. before moved onto Battleifled 1942 etc. larger scale FPS.

It was a friend of my introduced me to Neverwinter Nights. That's how I got into RPG games. Once got into RPG, especially when NWN had a large online base on some of the servers where they ran custom made persistent worlds, it was just the matter of time before go further down to MMORPG to play with more people in persistent worlds.

I liked video games of most types.

djskyrim likes this.
  15. Verity Darkwaters

Regular

My step-father made me do his battlegrounds and dailies in WoW and my mother then made me do hers. When my step-father was out of town I had to do arena's and after a few months of this I was allowed to make my own character on WoW and then my love of gaming bloomed throughout the years.

16. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I was really into RPG genre for a while and by the time I got a good internet connection to play online, WoW was already blowing up. I joined a little and played with friends although I didn't stick around when they left. Still love the genre though, but not a lot of time to play.

17. m0ldy

m0ldy Active Member
    Regular

Started with everquest, then moved onto world of warcraft, then onto many other games but mostly free to play ones. Been playing a lot of path of exile, a free hack n slash diablo 2 clone arpg.

18. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I usually started out playing regular rpg's before getting into mmorpgs. Then I started to get into them out of interest.

19. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think some of the time I have came across them through the youtube. And some other times I am finding them thorough the friends. And even through other blogs.

20. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin Well-Known Member
    Regular

As far as I remember, a friend of mine told me so I tried it, and then, I get stuck to it.