How did you get into MMORPGs?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 16, 2015.

1. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

My first MMORPG was Toontown Online when I was a kid, and I loved it. I guess I fell in love with MMORPGS ever since.

2. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've been playing MMORPG's since Ragnarok before that I was a massive Pokemon and Digimon fan. I love MMORPGs because the idea of being someone or something else enthralled me. You could level up, get some gear, meet new people easily without the hassle of being rejected. It's a fantasy world, we all need some magic in our lives.s

3. supernoobl

supernoobl New Member

I signed up for this forum, and then I waited for somebody to tell me what to play.

Yeah, basically, still, waiting.

I was into the fantasy genre and I played the standard games, but I never had friends that were into it in my close circle.

I think what I was supposed to do, was join another circle; makes sense now.

4. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I get into MMORPG through a friend that introduced me into World Of Warcraft and from then it was all started. It was The Burning Crusade expansion at the time and it was a blast at the time. Of course with time flying the I just left WoW and moved to other MMOs with better graphics and gameplay too.

5. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

The first MMORPG I played was La Tale, which I found through banner advertisements on a website. I haven't played any subscription MMOs or ones that you have to pay up front for, so all the ones I've played so far have been found the same way; advertisements on other sites I use.

Now that I'm part of this forum though I'm sure I'll find more MMORPGs by browsing around here. There's so much talk about them and it is the title of the forum after all, so I am hoping to be suggested a couple of good ones. :)

6. Gamepreneur

Gamepreneur Well-Known Member
    Regular

Essentially I got into MMORPGS because a lot of my friends told me about them. They said, "Hey look, check out this game!" and unfortunately my first "major RPG" was Runescape, but to be fair at the time there wasn't a whole lot of other choices. It took a while to really break into other RPG's but shortly after I followed that up with Ragnarok and I haven't stopped playing them since!

7. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Well-Known Member

Actually I'm not a big fan of MMORPG's nowadays, though those aren't games that I didn't have experience with *. No offence to anybody, but I consider them quite boring.

8. Darce

Darce Well-Known Member

I mean... this is an MMO forums so..

I got into MMOs by playing Metin2, and from there I started trying out other bigger ones like Tera / Vindictus / ArcheAge.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I started playing with my friends here and there but after a while I really started to get into the genre. I've been playing constantly since then.

10. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious it is, I've never said that I haven't played MMORPG's before and that I don't have any experience due to those games, on the contrary, I did play a lot of them in the past, but not as much nowadays.

11. obliviousme

obliviousme Well-Known Member
    Regular

RuneScape was the only MMORPG i play. My friend is so obsessed of this game he can't shut up about it so i signed up to the game and i was hooked. I can't stop playing for years. Seriously it's very addictive and just pure fun. I love the virtual world, it's beautiful and vast you can totally just wander anywhere and never get bored especially if you're a member. At least you won't get bored if you're new to the game. There's also so many tasks and quests to do to keep you busy. If you feel like being lazy you can do that too, there's many of those lazy bums hanging in lumbridge. You can talk trash or mess with the noobs. It's all fun. I don't play it anymore, but i still get on the game from time to time just to see how it's doing and see the updates.

12. RabidRabbit

RabidRabbit Member
    Regular

Boredom and curiosity. Then addiction happened. Hahaha!

13. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

My first ever MMORPG was Metin 2. Not really what I would call the utmost token of joy, since you couldn't even jump into that game, and am really impressed that up to this day they've done nothing to change this and it's still quite popular in my country, but then I tried to muster some more options and eventually found really, really great games and stayed with them ever since.

14. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

My first ever MMORPG was Runescape, yeeeeeeeears ago. All my friends played it, so I started playing too. This was back when it was played in browser only.

15. Maelalove

Maelalove Well-Known Member
    Regular

My brother actually forced me into WoW when I was only 13 years old. I hated the thought of it at first, and would pretend to be on WoW until he went to sleep or went out, then would tab out and browse the internet. For some reason, one day I actually decided to play and I was hooked pretty quickly. Played ever since, and I love MMO's.

16. Maelalove

Maelalove Well-Known Member
    Regular

I tried Runescape in high school, since one of my friends insisted so hard on playing it, but actually hated it. I couldn't keep with it, but I went to Perfect World after that, too, haha.

17. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Member
    Regular

I got into MMORPG's because my ex-husband was addicted to World of Warcraft. I wanted to know what the big deal was and also to find something we could do together. He let me make a character on his account and I fell in love. The next thing I know, I was buying my own account and every expansion I could get my hands onto. Now I am an avid Wow player and love the game to death, even with Blizzard's horrible patch additions lol.

18. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Member
    Regular

It really seems like Wow and Runescape were the go tos when it came to getting into the world of MMORPGs. I have read every reply in this thread and those two are just popping up all over the place. I have never tried Runescape, but all the talk about it on this forum has really gotten me a bit tempted to be quite honest.

19. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member
    Regular

You're right, all I'm hearing is RuneScape and WoW, two MMOs that I've actually never played.

I had a bit of a different experience with MMORPGs. I played a tiny bit of Lineage 2, and I also played Guild Wars when that came out (I liked the fact that there was no monthly sub at the time), but what really got me into MMORPGs is City of Heroes (rest in peace, CoH). The superhero genre really appealed to me, and I played hours upon hours, even joining a roleplaying league and actually gaining a tiny little bit of notoriety on the Champion server at the time. I even ended up meeting some of the people I met in that game in real life.

20. 01ccook

01ccook Member
    Regular

Me and my step-brother used to play a lot of Warcraft 3: The frozen Throne, so when we saw the first trailer for the new Warcraft game (WoW) we were very excited. After it came out we bought it as soon as possible and played together mostly. The idea of an MMORPG was so alien to me back then, I couldn't get over how many real people I was interacting with! It also solidified my love affair with the night elves, because something about that first ever character will always be special.