How did you get into MMORPGs?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 16, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

Have you tried other types of games before MMORPGs? Did you like MMORPGs from the first time you tried them? Are MMORPGs your favorite type of games?

2. fliktor7

fliktor7 Well-Known Member

Yeah, of course I've played other type of games before the MMORPGS, I'm a player since there was consoles of 8 bits xD

My first MMORPG was Lineage 2, I tried it for first time like 7 or 8 years ago and I get into it because some friend told me to do so.

3. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

MMORPGs arent that old. There are many gamers who have been playing since before MMOs became popular. MMOs have their roots in the old MUDs (MultiUser Dungeons) but even before that many people played games. I only really got into MMOs in the early 2000s, my first was an MMORTS named Shattered Galaxy. The first two MMORPGs I played was Conquer Online. There weren't many Free 2 Play MMOs back then and it was one of the few that I really enjoyed.

Guild Wars would be one of my top games that I've played, but the genre isn't even in my top 5 genres. There are so many others that I just enjoy more.

4. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Traditionally I've been a solo game player (RPGs/JRPGs) but an ex got me into MMO's because he was into them.

5. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member
    Regular

The very first MMORPG that I played was RuneScape. I didn't fall in love with it outright because there was no story or what. However, I did keep on playing because I wanted to make my character a lot stronger and be at par or above other players. I still don't love MMORPGs as much as traditional RPGs but I still play them every once in a while.

6. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

My partner played Runescape on and off for years. I think he secretely wants to go back to it. I see him checking the website every now and again, but he says "it isn't the same as the good old days". It did look like a great game with the variety of things you can do, but the paywall put me off a bit.

7. tournique

tournique Well-Known Member

I got into RuneScape when I was younger, for me it was a new thing to have many players on the map at the same time. That thing got me hooked and kept me interested in so many things after. Currently still enjoying world of warcarft.

8. Mika

Mika Member
    Regular

Wow I don't even remember how I got into MMORPG's. I used to play a lot of SEGA games, then when I found RuneScape everything just followed after. I played it for quite a while then tried out Shaiya, then I went to Perfect World and got addicted to that. A few years later I just hopped between MMORPG's every few months.

I definitely like MMORPG's the most. I like having a game that has more than 2-3 days worth of content. I do enjoy other games, there just isn't enough other games and I find myself searching for MMORPG's instead.

9. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

A friend showed me some obscure MMORPG that I played perhaps once or twice, but then I started finding way better MMORPGs and the rest is history, as they say.

10. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Member

Actually i got introduced to it through one of my friends.

11. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Active Member

I started at 8 with Ragnarok Online. It was all about being able to play with my cousins living in a different country at first but I eventually got hooked with the game. Now at 24, I'm still addicted to MMORPGs

12. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

My cousins are always playing this kind of games. First, I got to Ragnarok and it's fun and I spent hundreds of hours playing this.

13. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

Metin 2 sparkled my interest for MMORPGs, although I didn't like that game much. I just knew that there would be something more complex and captivating to this type, which I found in Jade Dinasty later. I'm glad I didn't quit that easily. :)

14. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

RuneScape. I think that that was my first MMORPG ever. I was in primary school and I had friends that talk about it all of the time, they said do you know RuneScape and I would say no, till one day someone made me an account because it was so popular back then that half of my school played it. I got into it, and it got addicting, I loved MMORPG games ever since, eventhough, I quit RuneScape.

15. Briggs

Briggs Well-Known Member

My first was on the of. A game called combat arms, and I've been hooked ever since. It's about al I play

16. bavinnie

bavinnie Active Member

Played mostly single player RPG's and strategy games before trying out any of the online scene, at the time internet was pretty restricted anyway but my first MMO was Runescape, to no one's suprise I'm sure - I was stuck on it for something like 3-4 years and then I tried out WoW, wasn't a big fan the only MMO's that really had me hooked in anyway like Runescape since then were/are Dofus & Wildstar

17. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

It's a bit shocking how RuneScape is almost the most played MMORPG game, or perhaps first played game for people who got introduced to it. At the same time, it isn't so surprising because it was a good game back then, but soo different from the concept of MMORPG today.

18. Zarentu

Zarentu Active Member

I remember a long time ago I started to play Diablo and I think that got me into it. It started with just playing single player and then I started playing multi-player and was instantly hooked. After that a few other games came out and I was just hooked on RPGs in general and it was better when I could play them online.

19. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

I actually got into them by watching my cousin play them one day. First, I saw him playing Everquest. Then the next time I saw him, he was play RF Online.

So one day, I figured I'd see just why the heck he kept getting drawn into that stuff. At that time, I picked up Star Wars Galaxies and the rest was history. I saw very clearly how these games got him hooked.

20. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

I played a few MMORPG's here and there, but nothing stuck. I don't think I even bothered remembering their names until DFO came around. DFO is my addiction when it isn't constantly being shut down, and I think 'Dungeon Fighter Online' is probably what truly hooked me into mmorpgs.