Quantcast

How can I stop accumulating insane amounts of gold?

Discussion in 'Skyrim' started by AzureSparkle, Aug 1, 2015.

1. AzureSparkle

AzureSparkle New Member

I often find that as a stealth / assassin / archer, I always find that I end up walking around with so much gold it weighs more than Tamriel itself. Anything fun / interesting I can do with it all?

I'm playing in vanilla, btw.

2. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

Even the vanilla game throws insane amounts of loot, and thus gold, at the player. Mods adding new items and such usually only increase this. Unless you do what I did in vanilla and horde all your items and don't sell them. (Because I'm the kind of crazy person who enjoys having an entire room with scrolls, books, swords, and armor all over the floor) You're going to never be hurting for gold with the base game once you get into the later parts. Odds are that you'll just have so much money that you'll never spend. Unless you go the modding route, if possible, and add in some of the scarcity or other economic mods that change loot and in-game markets, you're kind of stuck.

3. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I just buy really expensive stuff, take all of it to the Throat of the World, stack it in a pile and knock it all off with an Unrelenting Force shout. Either that, or I throw all the gold in my safe in the Solitude Manor and see how much I can store. Sometimes I break into people's houses and just randomly leave cash there just for giggles.

4. MoneyFiend

MoneyFiend Member

You seem to have a lot of time spare, judging by the acts of kindness towards the NPC's. Very noble indeed. If you were to spend some of that time in the Creation Engine you could build the first ever Skyrim Stock Exchange or even a gambling service. A simple arena where you can place bets would be a good mod idea.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Whenever I'm put in your situation I like to just store it all to see how much I can earn, but most of the time I just spend it on expensive stuff.

6. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

Do you have the Hearthstone expansion? On my first playthrough I recall making money to buy the house in Solitude to be sort of challenging. Hearthstone is that same thing, but with more customization abilities and thus more money to spend.

7. dreamocracy

dreamocracy Member

This seems like a good problem to have! I second the Hearthfire house suggestion, buying all the materials for furniture and rooms/expansions can use up quite a bit of gold. If you have bought all the houses and anything you could possibly want in-game (changing your appearance, making all the armor and weapons you want, donating to the beggars, buying all the rooms in your house and furnishing them all, etc) I would just store it in your home so that it isn't weighing you down.

8. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

You could just visit each hold and purchase the most expensive equipment they have to offer, then put them up as decoration in your house. I never found having too much money as a problem in Skyrim, but that's just me :p

If you don't own them already, you can also purchase a house in all of the holds and maybe install some mods that will allow you to purchase new stuff.

9. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I reckon you could buy items and donate to people who need it like the ones who have to beg on the streets or even the chantry which would use it for a good use and help the needy from there which is a good way to use the gold. I think keep a certain amount on you so the rest can be kept in the house so it is safe there, and will not weigh you down while roaming around. I usually only loot the gold I need and also use it for good purposes like buying food, to restore health and also selling the food when it is taking up space in the inventory.

10. Tanis

Tanis Active Member Regular

I've never had that problem before. Uh, buy useless things at vendors and resell at minimum value? Buy all the properties in the holds and furnish them fully? Skyrim does get a little imbalanced toward the late game, but that's most RPGs. I think having too much money just means you don't have to work as hard to get more and can cruise on the gold you made so far for a bit. Play the game and not focus on loot, you know?

11. SereneAngel88

Not really noble since I'm with the Thieves' Guild and I'm doing an assignment. I just leave it there as compensation for taking the shiny urn that just randomly appeared in their house. On the rare occasion I'm not stealing anything, I just break in to practice my sneak and pickpocket skill just to pass the time. I guess they see it as kind since I leave gems, but that's only because they keep showing up. Probably shouldn't have completed that crown...

12. Krisibelle

Krisibelle Member

My absolute favourite thing to do is to buy all the gems I ever come across and throw them in a giant pile in one of the rooms of my houses. Each gem individually I mean. Beautiful...

You could find master trainers for your skills that end up charging a fair amount at the higher levels, however you can only do that 5 times per level. I also buy all the leather and iron to forge into daggers and sell them back to the smiths as that is a really good way to gain smithing levels.

Buy all the expensive apothecary items, always.

You could throw all the coins individually into a room and then use the Unrelenting Force shout on them over and over... Hang on I'm definitely going to have to do that... Or maybe even in a town square...

13. guruproto

guruproto Active Member Regular

Invest in Blacksmith and Alchemy. The amount of coin required to make basic potions and craft gear is substantial, and that's not counting the more advanced recipes. Alchemy is a skill that I place on all my characters, and I rarely have more than 100 gold to my name because of the prices of alchemical ingredients. I could throw together a cheap potion or some weak poisons, but if you want access to powerful poison effects or multiple restoratives -- which you do have to make for alchemy to be worth it late game -- you have to invest some serious coin.

If that still doesn't do the trick, then add on some Enchanting. Buying soul gems and weapons to place the enchantments on will burn a hole in your coin purse.

14. SereneAngel88

But...isn't Loot like one of the most important aspects of the game? Sorry, but those words are like sacrilege to a klepto player like myself whose motto is "Take everything that is not nailed down....and come back later with a hammer for the rest".

15. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I think getting rich way too fast and getting overpowered way too fast, are two of the main problems that any Bethesda game has. I mean, I have encountered this thing is almost anything that they released, from Morrowind to Fallout 3. Nothing you can really do about it, except role-play your character and set your own limits. It is a sandbox game after all.

16. denart10

denart10 Member Regular

Lol show off :p

I am poor in the game and I have no idea why. It is probably because I am buying too much unnecessary stuff.
    Though I am not really watching my money and try to make some.

17. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Find the poorest person you can, pickpocket them and in the pickpocket screen just toss 'em all your gold. I haven't done this, but I assume it's possible and it'll make their sad little NPC lives.

18. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

This is a weird thing to ask. If you were asking this for a real life scenario I'd be laughing at your face. :p
    Do you have the expansion, Hearthfire, that has the housing system? That's a way to spend money if you haven't already.

19. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

Yep, houses are a good way to spend money. Though I just mostly build them and then never see them again. Apart from admiring your interior decoration, there just isn't much to do in them.

20. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

at times in some of their games it feels like gold really has no value. I guess they decided that you need it for RP reasons, but they donĀ“t want it to be an obstacle for advacement.