Haven't played the game yet

Discussion in 'The Newbie Yard' started by Primalclaws1974, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Primalclaws1974

Primalclaws1974 Well-Known Member

I have read about this game. I watched some videos on YouTube. It definitely has better graphics than Archeage. I noticed that many of creatures and characters are more unique than many of the games in this genre. Is the game interesting enough to learn and play for at least a year? I am looking for something that is NOT a World of Warcraft clone. Thanks.

2. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

The mechanics are completely different than WoW's. There's more freedom of movement and the dodge system allows you to actually dodge attacks unlike WoW where spells will follow you regardless how far you travel. There's also lots of exploration encouraged through jumping puzzles and unlocking vista points. World PvP is addictively fun with siege warfare and coordinated attacks on a massive scale. You only need to pay for the game itself and never pay a sub so if you like it, you can essentially keep playing for free. When you get bored, you're not obligated to keep up with a sub.

3. Arma45

Arma45 Active Member

I am in the same position that PrimalClaws is in. After watching some videos and what not, It looked really interesting to play. The fact that it is not a clone of World of Warcraft is a good thing for me.

World of Warcraft is by no means a bad game and truthfully, I cannot really give an opinion on the matter but graphics really matter to me. The fact that those things were addressed here makes me feel a little bit better since I am thinking about buying the game.

4. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

It has a slightly higher learning curve to get into if you're used to playing WoW. It took me a bit to get into playing GW2 because of how different it was from WoW. One of the huge differences is the whole weapon swap and dodge mechanics. Weapon swapping plays a huge role in your abilities and combined with a very flexible talent tree system, there is no 'wrong' way to play a character. However, there are optimal ways to play your class at the best it can be. Min/maxing isn't an issue unless you really want to play the game hardcore, and that's when you hit up forums/blogs for more info. For general gameplay or world vs world PvP, the standards aren't as strict. I never played a melee character in any MMO until I picked up GW2. The dodge mechanics and ability swap allows me to be a very efficient melee character that I'm not in WoW or WoW clones.

5. Arma45

Arma45 Active Member

That's fine by me. As I said, I never actually played WoW so i cannot give an honest opinion about the game itself. I like the fact that there is different mechanics in the game but I imagine a few minutes reading and playing, You should understand better.

Either way, I appreciate the review as it has really gotten me into thinking about getting it.

6. Brady2121

Brady2121 Well-Known Member

I've been interesting in trying GW myself. However, I'm not sure I am willing to learn the game mechanics. :p

7. amig0enemig0

amig0enemig0 Active Member

It's definitely not a World of warcraft clone. The game has a really innovative quest system, where there's zone quest and group event. Also i feel like the dungeons are way better than other mmorpgs the dungeon armor sets you can get are pretty cool too.

8. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

The dungeons are pretty interesting for GW2 since there's more used of mechanics than WoW where it's just a straight burn. Some dungeons are like mini raids because they take a while to complete due to the varying mechanics. Some bosses have to be interrupted by throwing rocks at them, keeping them apart, ect. Others require extensive dodge mechanics and puzzle solving to get through. One path in Arah requires people to chain catch a light orb successfully to open a door to the next area.

9. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Member

I think you should give it a try from my own experience i would say it is a game you would certainly enjoy.