Have you read any good fiction recently?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by casiolol, Sep 27, 2013.

1. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

What exactly do you mean by fiction? I just read Of Blood and Honour (WoW book) and can only praise it! The book flies fast and immerses you into the WoW lore! (big fan here)

2. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member
    Regular

It has been a very long time since I have picked up a great novel. I would love to get into some good fiction, but sadly every book I have picked up lately ends in me backing away slowly.

I will have to look into some of the books mentioned below. I'm sure I will find something eventually.

3. sanders89

sanders89 Active Member

I love George Orwell, I am a huge fan or 1984. I think this writing is terrific! I am reading the hunger games series right now, I have read it once before, but I can't help it. They are seriously so good, I just get sucked in!

alexiskilgannon likes this.
  4. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have read through the hunger games, but haven't brought myself to read 1984 yet. Everyone constantly tells me how great the book is, but I fail at picking it up.

5. sanders89

sanders89 Active Member

Oh it is so good! I mean thank god that the book was not an accurate prediction, but all the same it's really fun to read!

6. sanders89

sanders89 Active Member

Has anyone read WILD? It's about a woman who is kind of a lost sole, and she sort of finds herself while hiking oh the Pacific Crest Trail. It's a New York TImes Best seller. I am thinking about checking it out.

7. shiftermob

shiftermob Member

Just finished 1984! Its a dystopian novel by george orwell. It's really good and highly suggest it to you!

8. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I also read that like a year ago and it truly was a fantastic book. In addition, I like to read Harry Potter books though I have only finished two of them. In most cases, books are better than movies since they tell things more accurately.

9. wulfman

wulfman Well-Known Member

Still reading 'The Prophet' by Khalil Gibran. Awesome read.

10. wulfman

Was recommended to me by a good friend because of my quick temper. It certainly gives you a different perspective on life. I recommend it highly.

11. dez97

dez97 Well-Known Member

Not at all. Any suggestions?

12. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

I just finished Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf - it was one of the most tumultuous reading experiences I've ever had. I had to read it for my Uni course, and for nearly the entire book, I had to limp my way through, struggling to piece anything together, becoming frustrated, and feeling that I wasn't taking anything in.
    Then, as I read the last line, I felt my skin crawl with goosebumps. I sat back, and for the next two hours, slowly came to terms with the book, pieced moments and meaning together, and felt blown away. There is some absolutely incredible ideas in that book; Woolf's perspective is truly unique. I'd actually say it's my favourite book now - but I have to admit, it isn't easy or light reading.

13. wulfman

I am looking forward to getting my Kindle from Amazon so I start reading like I used to.

14. wulfman

Reading keeps you informed, centered and disciplined. I think it is important to have that in life.

15. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

I would recommend reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series or her books in general. I haven't found one yet that I didn't like. If you need a further reason why it's good: If you're into romance, action, and Greek Mythology, this series is for you. You'll love the portrait of the characters and the tragic backstory of some of them.

16. wulfman

I just read "What Happens to Good People When Bad Things Happen". I recommend it.

17. Natalie89

Natalie89 Member

I recently read Mr Mercedes by Stephen King. In my eyes that man can do now wrong as every book I've read of his has been a sure hit with me, with the exception of It, and that was only because I couldn't get past the first 2 chapters without scaring myself stupid.

18. Natalie89

Natalie89 Member

I recently read Mr Mercedes by Stephen King. In my eyes that man can do now wrong as every book I've read of his has been a sure hit with me, with the exception of It, and that was only because I couldn't get past the first 2 chapters without scaring myself stupid.

19. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

I read a lot of science fiction in my spare time. Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke are my go-to writers. I recommend Replay by Ken Grimwood for those who are just starting to read sci-fi. Replay is about a man who can replay events in his life sort of like personal time travelling. It's an award winning book so you know the writing is good.

20. tony

tony Well-Known Member
    Regular

So long the story sound mature and captivating I would certainly be fine reading a good piece of fiction. What matters most is how the characters are portrayed in an intelligent and coherent styles.