Have you ever skipped meals and sleeping over MMORPG?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, Feb 2, 2016.

1. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh, I almost forgot. When I was still playing Aion, I ended up having this massive streak of like 30 hours playing after I made a ton of Kinah and got a bunch of drops in a short period...I was working at the same time, played video games for 30 hours and made over $300 in the meantime! Fond memories, lol

2. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I actually remember when was playing Lineage 2, there was this "famous" saying on the server, that "sleep is for the weak"... haha! Basically a hardcore game like L2 was pretty much depended on how much time you spend on grinding etc. So those who skip sleeping more often (as well as with no life lolz) are usually at the top.

I remember at the release of the game, the server had an even to see who can level the fastest on the entire server out of tens thousands of players. I tried my best and only reach level 30s within days while the top guy reached over level 50 during the same period.

3. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I've been up late a few times but not often. I don't skip meals either. It's just a game.

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I get that. It's so easy to just get lost in the game especially ones like these where you can play with friends indefinitely during vacation. I don't really push it too far though since it's not that enjoyable to me when you're too tired but still going.

5. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is called addiction.
    In the lab, rats are shown to prefer cocaine over food even when they are starving. :p

I know it isn't healthy to play video games on empty stomach and lack of sleep, but back then sometimes I couldn't help it. Such case was especially true if you are playing a hardcore MMORPG where everyone is trying their hardest to level up and earn better gears. You would just try to be amongst the highest level players with the best gears. And then there was open PvP, clan war, and castle siege, on the top of boss raid. Just the open pvp (endless ganking, and being ganked) alone would take up all the time you have lol...

DeeDee likes this.
  6. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh yeah any gamer can definitely say yes to not eating or sleeping due to gaming. When I was in college I once spent 6 hours playing League of Legends even when I had exams the next day. That was definitely the height of my addiction and my eventual downfall. I needed to get away from gaming after that and sometimes all you need are good and active friends.

7. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

Never happened to me. It's not worth it to me because with a full stomach I can play better. :)

8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

Absolutely. It's a gamer lifestyle. Sleep is for the weak, hunger is for the weak, and really, some people really take it so seriously that they even collapse of exhaustion because they don't want to eat or sleep or even go to the bathroom. It is a very intense thing that requires dedication, and sometimes maybe a little too much, as people won't care about their physical needs and just focus on their video game characters.

9. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Actually it isn't. You are perpetuating an untrue and negative stereo type of people that enjoy games and it's kind of offensive to be honest.

10. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Come to think about it, there were news once in a while about gamer died in front of his "battlestation". Mostly it took place in some internet cafe in Asia like South Korea or China, where some people pretty much live there and spend only a few hours a day to sleep on the bench and eat a cup of instant noodle besides nonstop playing. When it took place, the game they play is usually a MMORPG. :D However you can't blame the game. The gamer is at fault for not be able to manage their time properly in a healthy, sustainable manner.

"Sleep is for the weak" was indeed heard during my time in Lineage 2. Also along with "Those without a life wins the game" LOL. Since MMORPG takes so much time to be good at it or stay on the top, it is easy to lose track of the time when playing.

11. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah lol I know what you mean. I can see the point of both sides as I don't like the feeling of playing too much when I'm not at peak condition since the experience isn't as good of a quality as it could be, but at the same time I've also experienced staying up telling myself it's the last stage and ten stages later I'm still saying the same thing haha.

12. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I probably did a couple of times when I was younger.

13. Annejk18

Annejk18 Well-Known Member
    Regular

When I was younger and I'm at the peak of my game addiction. Many times I have skipped meals. After going to school I immediately switching on my computer to play. Later on, after continuing this bad habit I got hospitalized because I got acute appendicitis. I didn't do that habit again.

14. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

That happened with me on many games. And it's kind of something I'd surely be thinking about for the gaming experience.

15. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

No, and I never would. People have literally died doing that sort of stuff.

16. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sometimes when the game is so interesting that you can not stop playing it, you have to skip some meals and even sleep inorder to continue playing it.

17. Lissiel

Lissiel Member
    Regular

Yeah, I've tried skipping a meal because of playing games. I was addicted slight, but not totally addicted. I still do my responsibilities at school and at home. I just playing my hearts out when vacation. I had tried sleeping 3 am playing MMORPG game, it was Ragnarok. It's really hard to sleep when you have not yet achieved the next level of your character. I sleep 3 am and wake up like-- 8 am to play again. I skipped my breakfast and if I remember, I will have my lunch at 2 pm in the afternoon. That's a gamers life, and only gamers can understand how it feels like.

18. fishbate

fishbate Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have once or twice experienced skimming meals during my younger years. It was not good at all because it affected my health back then. I started getting weak and had fever for a week.