Have you ever skipped meals and sleeping over MMORPG?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, Feb 2, 2016.

1. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have.
    At the height of my addiction, I was playing all day and all night. Skipping a meal or two was really common at some point, but good through I did get back to my normal diet lolz. My sleeping time was also messed up. Skipping sleep all together happened more than a few times, but more often I just played through the night and slept until the next afternoon. It was bad for my health lol. But anyway, my addiction only lasted two years or so before I got bored and no longer being addicted.

What about everyone else here?

2. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

Of course man, I have had multiple gaming runs where i never ate, slept or anything. In fact, my sleeping pattern changed such that I used to sleep at 6 in the morning and and wake up at 3 in the afternoon. But, those were awesome days.

#2 djskyrim, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  3. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

There were a few occasions. Staying up to raid until 3am, raiding through lunch sometimes......it happened. It wasn't a regular occurrence, but it did happen at times.

4. Ridge

Ridge Active Member
    Regular

It is easy to shove food in your face while playing games. But sleep, I've definitely given up sleep for games.

When Destiny came out I bought a Fitbit specifically so I could have the silent alarm wake me up at ungodly early hours without noise waking my wife up so I could play.

djskyrim likes this.
  5. West

West Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nah, not really. I've occasionally woken up very early to play games. I remember when Red Dead Redemption first came out, I was waking up at 6 AM every morning for like, a week, to play multiplayer. I also sometimes stay up really late. I guess these things lead to skipping meals, because if I stay up late on a Friday or Saturday, I'll usually sleep in to the point of missing breakfast. I don't know if that really counts, though.

6. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice
    Regular

Yes, I'd go to sleep at 5 AM some days just to squeeze out one more level of grinding in Maplestory or whatever flavor of the month I was playing at the time. It wasn't enough just to catch the 2x event for Americans, I had to catch the Australian one too. Obviously this screwed up my sleep schedule pretty bad, and I was always too embarrassed to say why I was always tired when I came to school.

7. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I never experienced this fortunately, as I've never obsessed over games all that much to be completely honest. From time to time I'll come across a game that I'll really get into but for the most part they are just passing phases. I do have many other obsessions though so I can relate even though they may not be video game related. There are some things that can really make you forget about everything else and I think that's alright as long as you don't fall in too deep.

8. maddomo

maddomo Member
    Regular

When I played obsessively, I'll admit I did skip lunch and even dinner sometimes. However, I've recovered from my addiction, and now play in moderation and take my health seriously. It's great that I came to my senses

9. djskyrim

Regular

Yeah. I've recovered too. But is was still a lot of fun to just play without an inkling of worry about food or rest.

10. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I stayed up for 2 straight days to complete the sleepga 2 questline in FFXI before a dynamis run, because I couldn't get in if I didn't have it. We wiped anyways, lol.

djskyrim likes this.
  11. coolyfrost

coolyfrost Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have never forgotten to eat or sleep due to gaming. I do like eating quite a bit, so that's simply out of the question for me. Also, I really require sleep to function properly, so I feel obligated to sleep atleast seven hours a day.

12. MarsL9

MarsL9 Member
    Regular

It's never healthy. It's not that I purposely not eat but sometimes you just get so engrossed into the game that you forget everything else. League of Legends is actually the worst at this because you can't leave or pause your game midway for a break and if you're with a duo Q you feel obligated to keep playing when the game ends.

13. djskyrim

Regular

Lol! You my friend are my kind of player :) 2 days... that's amazing.

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I did that a lot when I was a young kid, since I didn't really have any responsibilities. I haven't been on a no-meal/no-sleep game roll for a long time now, it would mess me up too much. :D

15. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think we all did this at one point or another. Some of us is guilty of pushing that even more by skipping classes or even taking days off to play your current mmorpg's at the time. I don't do the skipping thing anymore, but all my extra time involves some kind of raid or mmorpg gaming. So yes, I still do waste time and ignore meals just for games!

16. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

Flat out skipping sleep or eating for an entire day or longer? I can't say I have, at worst, I've delayed eating food and delayed my sleep by some odd hours, but I've never just up and not eaten or pulled an all-nighter for the sake of playing an MMO.

17. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Certainly, I used to take sick days when UO had expansions or major patches ( I never get sick, so would lose them anyway) I´ve also played for unhealthy amounts of time without sleeping ;) but eating is easy.. pizza delivers.

18. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have. When my cousins introduced me to play Ragnarok. We played at 7 AM until 4 in the afternoon for one week inside of an internet cafe. We skipped eating lunch for a week and we got scolded by our Grandmother and we were banned for playing outside ever again.

19. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

I've accidentally stayed up longer then I meant to before, but I've never just not slept or ignored eating just to play. My friends have done that many times, but not me. I'm not as dedicated to our MMO as they are. I have stayed up late playing with them, but only if I knew I didn't have work the next morning or any other responsibility.

20. djskyrim

Regular

Well, I wanted to be able to function normally, but I guess I was way too engaged to do other things. Also, I didn't have many responsibilities as a student so it didn't matter to me much how things went.