Have you ever played MMORPG with your family or real friends?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, May 27, 2016.

1. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

For the first part, nope... my family would not play MMORPG with me. I am the only kid in the family, and my parents are "boring" people by my standard. They are not interested in most of the entertainment (including gaming). In fact, they hated the fact I was addicted to video games at some point... lol.

For the second part, there had only been one real world friend played Neverwinter Nights (1) on some persistence server with me a few times. That was it. It was not even a real MMORPG, but a RPG on multiplay on the internet. While I had plenty of friends who routinely play video games together at LAN parties, we do not do MMORPG there. Yes, some of them do play MMORPG, but on their own time only. So nope, I have never had any real friends playing MMORPG with me.

What about you guys and girls? Any luck on having your family member(s) and real world friends playing MMORPG with you?

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I play with my real friends everyday, we do share the same hobbies so we play the same games quite a lot. As for my family.. my dad is into strategy games but he doesn't play MMORPG's, my sister does though.

3. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

No one in my family is interested in this genre so no. As for my friends I think some of them are interested but we play different games. I don't mind though because I have enough of them irl anyway so I like that my games are just for me.

4. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've played a bunch of MMOs with some friends of mine but we always drop them pretty quickly. We rather play more immediate games, like Overwatch recently.

5. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah! I think I only ever play with my siblings. 9 years ago we played Ragnarok and had our own guild but these days we play League of Legends and have our own line-up and positions. It's great playing with your siblings because of the connections, the laughter and the after game eating out. I play with friends as well as a past time in college but now that I'm working I rarely play with real people which is such a dismay.

6. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

It would be lucky if your family members happen to be interested in the same MMORPG as you, especially when you have no siblings... like me. As for friends, I have a lot of friends who play video games as I was in a gamers' club back in college and we do LAN parties a lot. Yet, because it was LAN party, we often do something else other than MMORPGs (while a lot of them do play MMORPG on their own time)

7. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I´ve never played with a real life friend of family member, I play games to get away from them LOL. I did actually play WOW at the same time as a guy from work was playing, although we were on different servers. Even then, it felt too weird even talking about a game in real life in the details we were talking. I actually lied to him and told him I quit playing just so he would stop talking about game stuff in real life.

8. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Haha! I guess he was more addicted to it than you. Playing the game is one thing, talk about it nonstop is another. Even when I was addicted, I would not keep talking about it. The time is better spent on playing it instead. If I am unable to play the game, I'd rather (or used to) spent the time on the forum of the game talking to those who I was actually playing with (or against). :D

9. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

Family, hell no. Real life friends, hell yes! My bestie is the reason I even got into MMO's in the first place! Well that's not quite right, she more like got me BACK into MMO's. I've made friends playing MMO's too, and actually plan to meet up with some of them this fall. (We've all seen what each other looks like via Skype)

10. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I started with "real" friends, but eventually just fanned out and onto games where I didn't know anyone and learned to meet people along the way. I've mostly hung up the gloves, but I still have a great friend that I've known for about 12 years from MMOs and I'm even planning on staying in his guest house for about a month in about a week, oddly enough :D

11. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

The fact is, even if you have a full family or friend circle of gamers. They might not be interested in the exactly same game you are playing. Especially when it comes to some time consuming MMORPGs. I was in a gamer's club at the college, and we were always trying to find something to play together at the LAN parties. Usually it is something we can start and finish rather quickly so nobody is out of the loop. But when it comes to MMORPGs, everyone was playing it on their own time. Not many of us play the same MMORPG. Even two of my friends who were roommates and both play WOW at the time, they were playing separately.

#11 vash, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  12. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've tried to play some MMOs with my reallife friends, but a lot of them just don't have the time to put into a MMO or they play other games than the ones that I enjoy. I don't think there's anyone in my family who would ever touch a MMO, either.

13. abonnen

abonnen Member
    Regular

Me and my husband play runescape together and I also have a real life friend that had been playing off and one for 12 years with me however she capped and hasn't been on a lot lately.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

This is a good point. When I first saw the title post I immediately thought of course with my friends, but the more I think about the more we tried and failed and ended up going separate ways and having our own games with other people online. It is just hard to sync up with other people when you have such a detailed and expansive game, and of course time-consuming. Online friends are nice though, too.

15. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

I did and still do play with my real friends almost everyday. When I was still playing MMORPGs, I was playing it with friends that I made by playing in the cafes. Aside from them, I was playing with some of my classmates before I even met the people in the cafes that I became friends with. It's a lot of fun since we were around 20 to 35 players in one cafe playing the same game. I miss the good old days.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member
    Regular

Play MMORPG with my family? Never (they think it's a waste of time and they keep asking me why I like to play "this" :confused:)!, but play MMORPG with some of my real friends... I've played several times (and still play, but not so often).

Real friends... Real action. MMORPG rocks! :cool:

17. tony

tony Well-Known Member
    Regular

I haven't played MMORPG with family members, the fact is I have only try the game with a few friends and spoke about it. I am really not too much into games. I find I am person that's more interested in reality shows rather than fiction movies. Games are perfect for entertainment and relaxation.

18. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes, we are a family of gamers. My husband's cousin and his cousin's wife are the ones who got us started playing World of Warcraft years ago. They got my husband going first, and then he talked me into playing. I loved it.

Their older kids played too and some more cousins started. Our kids played when they got older.

My (teen) daughter and I will probably spend some time playing World of Warcraft together this summer while she's off school. We like to team up for some battlegrounds.

19. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

This is one area where I do like to separate myself a little bit from those that I know. There are some family members who I have played with but they are pretty distant.

20. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't have any real life friends that play, but I have made some friends in game over the years. We've followed each other to new servers. We've joined the same guilds (or they joined the one we started back when we had one). Some even stayed in touch outside the game and shared phone numbers. I know that some of them met up, although I never met any of them in person. I still consider some to be good friends though, after talking to them almost daily for several years.