Hatred

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by rolfwar, Dec 15, 2014.

1. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

Hatred is a rather interesting game i have heard about only today, as it was removed from Steam Greenlight.

From the site Hatredgame;

''Hatred is an isometric shooter with disturbing atmosphere of mass killing, where player takes the role of a cold blood antagonist, who is full of hatred for humanity. It's a horror, but here YOU are the villain. Wander the outskirts of New York State, seek for victims on seven free-roam levels. Fight against law enforcement and take a journey into the antagonist's hateful mind. Gather equipment of the dead ‘human shields’ to spread Armageddon upon society. Destroy everything on your way of hunt and fight back when it's disturbed...

...just don't try this at home and don't take it too seriously, it's just a game. :)

The question you may ask is: why do they do this? These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment – we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure. Herecomes our game, which takes no prisoners and makes no excuses. We say ‘yes, it is a game about killing people’ and the only reason of the antagonist doing that sick stuff is his deep-rooted hatred. Player has to ask himself what can push any human being to mass-murder. We provoke this question using new Unreal Engine 4, pushing its physics (or rather PhysX) systems to the limits and trying to make the visuals as good as possible. It's not a simple task, because of the game's non-linear structure and a lot of characters on the screen. But here at Destructive Creations, we are an experienced team and we know how to handle the challenge!
    ''

Apparently, the developers are Polish.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=qV3PhvCf_Jg[/YOUTUBE]

#1 rolfwar, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. I just love how everyone is offended at it.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I'm surprised you only heard about it now, it was quite loud about it a while ago.

They are indeed Polish... Polish Nazis, as a matter of fact. Well, the term Nazis is slightly inaccurate in this case, but I can confirm that all of the organizations mentioned in that article are far right and some of them are fascist. None of them is openly neo-Nazi, but they sure do mix well with that crowd and some of their members are.

And rightfully so - it's made by people who probably wouldn't mind seeing your country nuked to dust.

#3 Bamul, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. It's not a reason to lose one's mind over it, there are better ways to deal with it.

They wanted to piss people off and they succeeded.

5. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Duke Nukem takes care of Polish Nazis 0_O

[​IMG]

The game looks alright. I think it would be enjoyable, at first, but then I imagine it would get very repetitive quickly. It briefly reminds me of the kind of Flash games you could find and play online. To be honest, this isn't something I would get. Not because of all the violence, but because the gameplay style doesn't suit me. I'm interested to see how people are going to react to this game when somebody does something stupid and they blame the game for their inspiration.

6. rolfwar

Regular

I also find it interesting how all the big "Gaming Journalism" companies have rejected the game because "it has senseless violence", implying violence in game like GTA is all right because there is a purpose or because it is punished. I mean, that´s a rather extraordinary statement for the masters of hypocrisy - journalists.

I see. I honestly don´t find it all that relevant...

#6 rolfwar, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

All I'm saying is kurewstwo trzeba tępić. It's just another reason why this dev should be criticised.

I agree. There are a few key differences between these games, but it's still hypocrisy on the part of those who bash one but ignore the other.

That's because you know nothing of the far right in Poland or Polish politics in general, which is understandable. Ever since the 1990s, in Eastern Europe there is an obsession with entrepreneurship. It has roots in the old Polish complex that no one wants to admit they're the proletariat and everyone thinks they're entitled to fuck people over. It's one of the reasons why the hypocritical leaders of Ruch Narodowy denounced the most radical elements among their supporters at the last Marsz Niepodległości. Think Hitler and his valiant support of small business owners.

Most of the nationalist groups in Poland are led by entrepreneurs (think oligarchs in Ukraine funding far right organizations, but on a smaller scale and with less real influence over parliamentary politics and more street-oriented). Now you have this indie game development studio, where a sizeable portion of the employees are openly supportive of these groups and the response of their CEO sort of makes it obvious... you don't need to guess where some of their money is most probably going. Buying this game is a bit like buying a brand new copy of an album from an obscure neo-Nazi band from Eastern Europe, through their online store; sure, you like the edgy music, but you never know where that money is going and since most of the nationalist leaders in Poland have business on the side to fund their campaigns, I think it's fairly obvious.

----------

UPDATE: Instead of doing a double post, I'll leave two good links here that are related to this game (one is a video, the other an article). Neither of them focus exclusively on this product, but frankly the controversy around it and Steam's decision to take the game off Greenlight is much more interesting than Hatred itself. Link and embedded video below.

Rock Paper Shotgun article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/16/hatred-removed-from-steam/

Jim Sterling's video about it:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=hWyLLoPHaMk[/YOUTUBE]

#7 Bamul, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  8. rolfwar

Regular

I´ll take your word for it.

By the way, i find it incredible how Valve allows Greenlight to publish absolute garbage (you KNOW what i am talking about), but not Hatred.

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

You and me both, though I can't deny that their decision to pull Hatred from Greenlight still puts a smirk on my face.

10. rolfwar

Regular

11. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I do think game companies should be like this though. Not entirely in the violence aspect, but I mean by not being afraid to release certain material because of all the controversies it may receive upon its release.

12. I just found out it was removed from greenlight. That's what I meant by "dealing with this kurewstwo" as opposed to people being drama queens like... well, most of the commenters pretty much anywhere :)

13. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Apparently the CEO of the company responded to the allegations of being a Neo-Nazi as being, "Fucking Ridiculous." Details in the article.

As for the game, it honestly doesn't look like it's much fun beyond its novelty, but it's kinda BS that Steam set up this whole system to avoid the burden of moderation, and then suddenly cripples some indie dev's ability to circulate their game. This is all in spite of already carrying some of the most controversial violent titles of all time, like GTA, Manhunt, and of course all three Postal games. Seems like an odd decision, since Steam isn't generally known for being some kind of family retailer, and the attention around the game would have surely generated some good revenue.

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Well, like I said earlier: the article I linked to which accuses them of being neo-Nazis is slightly incorrect. It's obvious that their views are far right, nationalist, racist, homophobic and some of them very well may be fascist and the one who is a tattoo artist very well could be a neo-Nazi. And yes, the hobbyist nature of indie development and the small number of devs that make up the studio makes it very probable that they all have similar views, but we can't really say anything other than assumptions about the other half of the team who haven't been put in this situation.

Nevertheless, the CEO's reply is a smart one, because it addresses only the accusation against his liking of the Islamophobic page. Saying that someone is a neo-Nazi because they like a nationalist page on facebook is indeed "fucking ridiculous". That said, Zieliński's reply doesn't address the Żołnierze Wyklęci t-shirt worn by his gameplay designer (a complicated matter itself), the nationalist and some fascist likes of his other colleagues, or the neo-Nazi symbols that his level designer and lightning artist engraves on people's skin as his other job.

Ok, let's go on Zieliński's public facebook page and see what else he likes... "German Army on the fronts of World War II" and Przemysław Wipler from KNP? Right, I see we're ticking all the boxes (has far right views, is racist, likes the Wehrmacht, and seemingly supports a New Right politician who babbles on about small business owners?). It doesn't really matter if this guy is a neo-Nazi, because there are many other types of deplorable politics that aren't Nazi.

Indeed, I agree. Though I'd personally put more focus on actually unfinished games that don't even go through Greenlight yet are still released through Steam and their developers earn money from this. It's like selling a car with one wheel and getting away with it.

----------

By the way, Valve have actually put Hatred back on Greenlight. :rolleyes: This is ridiculous. They made themselves look like idiots by removing it whilst keeping all that other shit, but now they look even sillier by not sticking to their decision and putting the game back on there. It's like they actually wanted to give this crappy game a free publicity stunt. :eek:hwell:

#14 Bamul, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
  15. rolfwar

Regular

So it goes...

16. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

More like: they clearly didn't want players to decide what do with it, unlike with every other game (that's why they initially pulled it off, the hypocrites)... but they were scared of the backlash, so they put it back on there. :p

17. bogartdelarama

That game looks very promising, unfortunately, as far as I've heard, it won't be sold on high-traffic places/sites. Oh, well. Guess I'll have to torrent it.