Has there been a MMO shutting down while you are still playing?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, May 18, 2016.

1. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

All things come to an end...

Has anyone experienced the shutting down (for good) for a MMORPG while you are still enjoying it? If so, what game was it? Why did they shut it down? How long have you been playing it? How did you feel about the shutting down?

Personally, I have no such experience. But I have thought about it that if I am still enjoy playing the game, it would be a MEGA sad day for me and all of my playmates on the final day (or final hour, minutes, moments... ). We'd be hugging each other in tears (if it is allowed) on the server lol...

What do you think?

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, I used to play Pirates of The Carribean Online when I was a little younger and I had so much fun playing it I was sad for days when it closed. The rest of the players (thousands) came in the same place on the final day of the game, it was pretty amazing. Here's a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

3. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Hi,
    It is truly sad when you were still having so much fun playing it.
    From the sound of it, there were still a lot of active players when the game was shut down.

Please answer the following questions from my first post. :) You never answered them.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think they shut down the game because it wasn't profitable anymore, I've been playing it for a couple of years at that point. From what I've read online they're planning a re-launch with a reskinned game, I would love to see that happening.

5. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Yes, I played Vanguard, Star Wars Galaxies, and 2 moons. Two of those were SOE (now known as Daybreak) and the third was Acclaim. All 3 were frustrating to me. so much wasted potential and bad management.

6. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

If they still have thousands of loyal players, why wouldn't they think of something to make it profitable? Something like start a donation event with a certain goal in mind. If the goal is met, they continue to run the game. If not, they return the donations and shut the game down. I know I would try something like that just to please the community and make better publicity.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well the game was ran by Disney and the game shut down simply because they're a big company and they didn't feel like investing more time and effort into PoTCO as it wasn't that worth it for them. I wish someone would pick the game back, re-skin and re-design it and launch it as an independent developer.

8. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I can't say it's ever happened to me personally, though I imagine it's quite the heartbreaking experience, especially if you've put a significant amount of time and money into the game.

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have heard of this but it has never happened to me thankfully. What did happen for me was I was about to get started with a new MMORPG but then I found out it was about to get shut down which was a major bummer but at least I haven't started yet and it did make me feel bad for those who already have.

10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I was playing Earth and Beyond ( kinda a mix between Eve and WOW) when it got shut down. I think I had probably 4 months of gametime when they announced they were shutting down. That gave a 6 month warning, but I stopped playing that month and didn´t play the final 5 months of the game.

It was strange, because the game was really fun and the space graphics were much better than EVE. I hadn´t played long enough to know endgame, so that might have been the problem, but it really was a nice space xploration and crafting game.

11. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, I hate it when companies decide to shut down something in the middle of it just because it is not profit or profit enough for them. This goes the same for online gaming as well as ongoing TV series lol... I believe in the long run these companies are actually losing potential customers in the future. Because people would say "hey, they have shut down that great game in the past. What if it happens again?".

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, shows like Constantine were ruined this way simply because despite the audience being very excited for the show it wasn't profitable enough to keep going (to be fair this series had a lot of CGI and fight choreography). Oh well, what can you do.. :p

13. Nytegeek

Regular

I hate really getting into a game that shuts down. It's like having your favorite TV show cancelled before they can wrap p the story line.

14. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Firefly.... ughh.. when I think of how many horrible tv shows have been created and died, and yet they only gave firefly 1 season...

I still think if they brought back earth and beyond today it would do well. It was basically the pve version of eve.

15. Nytegeek

Regular

What type of players would it attract? Hopefully not the usual PvP crowd.

16. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, I used to play Warrock here in my country but after I logged in one day and was denied entry I waited for another day thinking it was just maintenance or something. After about 3 days of this happening I decided to go on their site and on their forums and lo and behold I found out the game was stopped because the owner forgot to pay his employees and his family was charged with tax evasion.

17. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

That sucked. But couldn't anyone take over the business instead of just shutting it down? For the employees, it is worse to lose the job all together than one delayed payment.

18. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am not sure that I have had one ever completely shut down on my, but I have certainly had my frustrating experiences with it fading out or losing a connection. That happens quite a bit, actually.

19. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

That was 2006 when RF online was released, we were the first ones to play it in our place so we got pretty strong. But then the developers started charging us for prepaid cards. You won't be able to play the game unless you buy their prepaid cards, so we did buy since we really loved playing RF online back then. With the release of the prepaid cards, a lot of players stopped playing so they stopped that scheme. But after a few months, they were announcing a shutdown of the game which made us really sad. I made a lot of money playing that game which made me a lot more sad than the others.

20. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

None that I can recall of at the moment. Most of the mmorpg's I played I usually stopped playing before they got shutdown I think.