Has anyone seen the Warcraft movie?

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft' started by Azrile, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am curious if you think it is a good movie overall, and what type of other movie would you compare it to. The second thing I am curious about is if you think it ´worked´ well with the game, did it make sense, did it make the game feel more deep?

2. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm not too familiar with the lore of warcraft as I never played that much especially the earlier versions which from what I understand is mostly what this movie was based on. Just as a movie I think it was alright and that's even coming from someone not too much of a fan of this typeof genre and setting. I'd be willing to watch the sequel for sure.

3. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have not watched the movie yet, but I plan to sometimes this weekend if I have the time.

As with the game, it is a fantasy world. Something like Lord of the Rings.

If you have watched it, do you think it's a good movie?
    I wonder what kind of effect it will have on the game if the movie is really successful. Will more people start to play the game? Or if more players who had quit will start again?

4. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah I watched it, it actually wasn't all that bad. The movie wasn't directed by Blizzard, so there were some discrepancies in the story (no spoilers)

5. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am still waiting for it to come where I live. Chris Metzen was a part of the writing of the script, it will be interesting to see where it went off script, but meh.. basically most of WOW is off script from the original games so that isn´t a surprise.

A game with alternate univereses, time travel and ressurection is almost impossible to have real ´lore´.

6. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I loved it :) It wasn't overdone or underdone, just a great visual representation of the movie. It is epic, like they really captured the feel of the lore in the movie spot on

7. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Define what you think of as the Lore. Warcraft lore didn't start with and isn't limited to World of Warcraft. Did you play any of the older games?

8. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, but if you use that metric, then you must be equally upset at WOW which has butchered the lore from the RTS games more than any movie could.

I always hestitate, no offense, people who talk about butchering the lore because I read too many GoT forums where people go off about the ´omg, they ruined the lore´ type stuff for really very minor or unimportant stuff. Yeah, some stuff gets changed a lot, but those are things that are not important to the main story line.

9. Nytegeek

Regular

I never made a claim one way or the other as to whether they butchered the lore. I was just curious of what he/she was considering when talking about the Lore.

10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

My bad, yeah I replied to the wrong person. I visit infrequently a WOW centric forum, and I haven´t seen anyone mention a butchering of the lore in a big picture way. It seems to be similar to GoT where the on screen adaptation has to cut some of the loopy roads out of the process and gets to the point of the journey without including all the steps.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I went to see it a couple of weeks ago, I had low expectations since video game movies always turn out to be lackluster but the movie wasn't too bad overall, the CGI looked really well and I loved the cast.

12. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

yes I did, started with frozen throne and worked my way back. It does the story justice, it's blizzard's baby and they definitely took a lot of steps to make it retain the feel of the early games on the big screen. It's a really well-done movie if you like the story.

13. mauricioq

mauricioq Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm going to see it next weekend maybe but my friend, who is a wow player too, already seen it and he loved. Said the history is the one from wow lore and overall it's a great movie. Can't wait to see it.

14. Nytegeek

Regular

I might go see it. If I can get a babysitter and convince my wife.

15. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I was super reluctant about the quality of the movie prior to the release, but having seen it I was pleasantly surprised. It's a solid movie and a great videogame adaptation. Warcraft should certainly see it at some point..

16. Nytegeek

Regular

Any of you ever watch programming on Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" at night? They have text bumps on commercial breaks that make weird jokes, list programming schedules, or just promote "Adult Swim". I saw one the other night disparaging the Warcraft movie. It was clearly written by somebody that hasn't and does not intend to see the movie. So annoying.

17. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I eventually watched it. While it is overall pretty good, I thought the story is too typical. Humans are good, orcs are evil. Then we have very few of other races to even show up. Only at a meeting and at the end of the movie, races like elves and dwarves had an appearance. For a movie that is based on a game with so many races involved, I expected more races take part in the main story beside humans and orcs.

From the look of it, they are set to make more movies. Wish the other races will be involved more than in the first movie.

Even in Lord of the Rings, I like elves and dwarves more than the humans lol. Don't we have enough human war movies already? Just saying :p

18. Nytegeek

Regular

Did we see the same movie? One of the whole points was to drive home the concept that neither side is good or evil.

19. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

The individual orcs might not be so evil themselves, but they are under the control of an evil force. That makes them a evil force in nature. Why humans are always acting so innocent lol... It is not like we have had wars with other species since we killed off all our "cousins" some 20,000 years ago.

20. Nytegeek

Regular

The orcs don't remain under that control though. Humans continue the fight anyway. I know, some of it is lore the movie doesn't completely cover.