Harry Potter Online?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, Sep 2, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Though the series has already concluded, Harry Potter still remains in my heart. I even reread most of the books in the series because they were all so good. Now, I kinda miss Harry and the gang. Won't there ever be a MMORPG game based on the Harry Potter series? It was the talk of the town before but I think the interest waned.

2. SwordHungry

SwordHungry Well-Known Member

I haven't thought of this before, but it does sound like a great idea! Users could choose between being on Voldemorts side or on the good side. It would make an interesting game and I'm sure all die hard Harry potter fans would love it. However I'm sure it would cost a lot to make, and it's a bit of a financial risk for the studio making it.

3. Brem

Brem Active Member

The world of Harry Potter can work just as much as say Star Wars and Lord of The Rings. There's so much you can do in each world. Star Wars has already done it a lot and I can see Harry Potter delving deeper into other characters in a new game world.

4. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Nah, I am not going to even consider playing that. Harry Potter games and movie series was all about the story and it should remain like that in my opinion.

5. Flaxtick

Flaxtick Member

I agree with wowtgp, I think there should be a clear distinction between the game and movie series.

6. Eva

Eva Active Member

I still think it would be extremely popular. The Lord of the Rings Online, for example, had a clear distinction between the game and the movies. If they can do anything half as good as The Lord of the Rings Online with a Harry Potter MMORPG, people will eat it up. The books have such a rich story and such a huge fan-base, that it's worth a shot.

7. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

The thing is, Harry Potter movie series is over. If there was going to be a MMORPG, it had be during the lifetime of Harry Potter movies. But it's over now.

8. Eva

Eva Active Member

The Lord of the Rings movie series is over as well, but LOTRO is still hugely popular. The reason the Harry Potter fan-base has been less vocal, is because there hasn't been any new life in the series. A game like this would spark life into its massive fan base again. Sure, they are still making The Hobbit movies, but LOTRO was still popular after Lord of the Rings ended, and before the first Hobbit movie came out. Just my two cents.

9. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I think I would skip a Harry Potter MMO don't get me wrong the movies where OK, but I don't think I would enjoy the concept the only way I would maybe consider playing a game like this is if played more like an RPG.

10. BroknKyboard

BroknKyboard Well-Known Member

If it's anything like the games released with each new movie then I seriously doubt I'm going to try it out. However the idea of a Harry Potter MMORPG seems like it has a lot of potential, it's a large world with a potentially great combat system plus several other skills to work on (potions, transfiguration, divination, etc.)

11. dresdor

dresdor Well-Known Member

I think there's potential, but I don't see it becoming what you would want from it. The whole reason we like Harry Potter and the idea of becoming a wizard is because it is special. Not everyone is a wizard. In the MMO, everyone would be a wizard, so it would be boring, and probably just a grab for as much money as possible.

12. Astdua

Astdua Well-Known Member
    Regular

Harry Potter is among those fantasy universes that I've always thought of as good MMORPG material, such as a few anime universes too. The setting, the characters, the spells would all be appealing to me, however there comes the issue with factions, will it be based on the different houses, or perhaps light versus dark wizards?
    Heck, there have been already some decent playstation and PC HP games that I loved playing a while back, so just have them like that, but with awesome graphics and multiplayer.

13. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Well-Known Member

hogwarts would be the coolest world to have an mmo, i am all for it