Quantcast

Great Person

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by Bapsy, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Bapsy

Bapsy Member Regular

Out of curiosity, what do you prefer to do with your great people when you get them? How useful do you find them to be? Are you excited when you get one or nonplussed? Which kind of great person do you prefer to get and why?

2. AgentD22

AgentD22 Member Regular

I usually prefer the non-combat type of great person, because generals and admirals tend to be pretty useless in my games. Great engineers really are useful when building wonders, but If I had to choose my favorite kind of great person I would say Great artist in general because I love the cultural aspect of CIV Games. I also tend to go for cultural victories so I need to spam them to keep my cultural output consistent.

3. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

I definitely prefer people who can actually help me to enhance and develop my land, such as engineers and also workers, they tend to be useful for almost anything in the game, that's what makes them my favorite in the whole game, I definitely agree with AgentD22, generals and admirals are really lazy when it comes to doing their job.

4. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

100% I have the same opinion

5. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

Those are my first choices. I find that the best general and admiral is me. I wonder if in Civ VI they will have a more active role in the game.

6. taco

taco Member Regular

Great people choices sort of depend where you are in the game. Early on the best choice is Great Scientist imho, use him to found a university early and you will get a huge science boost. Any great person you get early on you will want to use to build a tile improvement. The more turns you have the more science, gold, production, you will gain from the tile improvement. Later in the game, like past 1750 or so, you will want to use the scientist for the quick tech boost, the merchants for merchant trips, and the engineers to speed up production of wonders.

Great Generals are good for the stealing land from other civs or expanding your land to cover a resource you need that you cant wait for culture to claim the land.

Great Admirals are good for epic naval battles if you go that strategy. Wait till at least frigates, but more likely the industrial era, and if you can control the seas you can pretty much dominate trade and keep any invasions well away from your shores.

Great Artists I always use to start golden ages, but wait till you have gotten a golden age or two from happiness, the more golden ages you have (even from artists) the more points required to start the next golden age.

7. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I'm a fan of great scientists, personally. They are extremely versatile and can be useful at all stages of the game, IMO. The other great people all have their uses, but I always found them to be a bit more situational.

8. HappyKoi

HappyKoi Member Regular

My favorite Great Person is the Great Engineer. The Manufactory (I think that's how you spell it) is really nice for production, especially in a small city that needs to catch up. My second favorite (and I had to learn to love this guy) is the Great General. Granted, I don't have much use for the Citadel itself, but it has the effect that the Great Artist's "culture bomb" effect in Civilization IV had, and that it can snatch up enemy territory and put their resources under your control. Civilization V is kind of sneaky that way.

9. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

I like engineers and workers-they good for game balance