Got a question for the 4A Development team? Ask here!

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by THQvagrantscout, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thane

Thane Well-Known Member

It may be just fine for you, but for people who value their immersion and like to raise their field of vew setting and/or must because they have wider or bigger screens, it is a problem.

The "walking" speed is actually faster than a sprint, or at the very least a sprint. The reason you don't know this is because the default FoV is so small that the edge of the screen shows things that are far in front of you, so that when your moving forward it looks like your moving slow due to things passing the edges of the screen slowly. IE, when driving in a car, a sign in the distance appears static, but when its coming past you, its moving quickly. To me, just raising the FoV to 80 is uncomfortable and jarring due to the walk speed and lack of acceleration. Despite my 83 degree display. Up your fov in the user.ini to see it if you want.

I've learned a few tricks to increase my own immersion over the years. One of them being walking. We humans walk at a slow pace 95% of the time were moving around and i've realized that for me at least, walking during scenes that feature nice scenery or are just interesting (just about all of Metro 2033 for example) helps build immersion.

Im sure its my age, but i don't value the challenge of gameplay anymore, I don't want to kill everything or tally points and "achievements" are less-than-meaningless. I only value the immersion, thus this is important to people like myself.

Kill any innocents today Vanilla?

2. Strelok

Strelok Well-Known Member

Just curious in how many of you that complain about the walking speed knows that there is a walking speed? Because I too was annoyed over the standard speed and thought it was fast, then I found out there is a slower speed. After that I found it ok.

For those that don't know it is the x button on PC but I don't know where it is on consoles though.

3. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less about achievements and kills, especially in a game like Metro but I do enjoy the challenge of a game too, just because I like to test my skills doesn't mean I can't become totally immersed into the game. The only reason I play hardcore is because it combines those two factors perfectly. Tests of skill but it allows for immersion and the feeling that you are really trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic Moscow.

Are you trying to insult me?

But if you're interested then yes I went out last night and killed an old couple with a pack of bourbon creams and a spoon.

4. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I think he just meant that all the killing is unrealistic and breaks the immersion, because you wouldn't do it in real life.

5. VanillaToshi

If that is so then I will say that I actually prefer the stealth play through to the guns blazing stereotypical macho "If it's hostile you kill it" approach.

Edit: Oh and it may be fine for me because I play on such a terrible TV and it looks like you're moving kinda slow on my screen. I'll see if I can change my FOV but I dunno if you can on console (never tried it before :/)

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I'm assuming you've never read the books? :p It actually is very realistic (or at least accurate to the content of the books). In Питер, the author describes journeys to the surface in more detail (especially the preparation methods), and everyone who ventures outside has to wear protective suits with all gaps covered by black tape, in order to not let any of the radioactive dust make contact with their skin or any thinner clothing materials that may be penetrated to touch the skin. ;)

I actually instantly recognized this on the posters and screenshots, so I'm very happy to see that they're trying to be more accurate this time. :)

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Btw, I agree that Ranger Mode Hardcore mixes challenge and immersion perfectly (though I still wish it was a tiny bit harder). I also agree that sneaking past unnoticed without harming anyone - when permitted to do so by the game - is the most satisfying and realistic way to play; at least for me it is. It reminds of the Thief games. :D

8. VanillaToshi

Ranger Hardcore does need to be harder yes.

Back to the clothes though, surely the jackets would be as baggy as the trousers too + real NBC suits aren't as big as that. There's also no way that the boots would be that big just because they're wearing things like over boots. Also i'm fairly certain I have seen pictures from the game of people wearing those clothes yet they have fingerless gloves? http://www.flickr.com/photos/88350441@N07/8071992900/in/photostream Thanks to Teddy Picker for the link. There's more images than just that one too.

Also sorry Skaara!

#268 VanillaToshi, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2012
  9. Skaara Dreadlocks

People, please refrain from debating/conversing in this thread, so Joe can easilier sort out the questions without having to read over the conversations, thank you :)

10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I have a question related to the previous discussion and the game:

Why are some of the in-game characters seen wearing NBC suits with fingerless gloves on the surface? Doesn't the latter completely defeat the purpose of the former?

11. THQvagrantscout

THQvagrantscout Well-Known Member

VanillaToshi: In regards to the character models and the baggy trousers and boots you see, the creative team was keeping true to the descriptions of the radiation suits found in the book and upon the direction of the author when they were first putting together the models (as Bamul stated above). In the fiction, the Metro has been sealed off from the world for 20 years and the supplies are very limited to say the least. These baggier suits are pieced together from spare parts and patched with whatever they could find in order to avoid radiation contamination. Layering is a big part to ensure safety since they don't have access to more conventional, less cumbersome, more advanced options. Aesthetically, this type of look matches the overall feel of the world the designers were trying to achieve.

12. THQvagrantscout

THQvagrantscout Well-Known Member

SUBMISSION NOTE 11/02/2012:

All of the questions above this post have been submitted to the development team for response. Please note that not all questions will receive attention and duplicate questions will be answered citing the member posting the question first in chronological order. I will post new answers as soon as I receive them.

Keep the questions coming!

Joe @ THQ

13. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

well thank you for clearing that up joe! now we can finally get that off our minds.

14. VanillaToshi

When fighting watchers, if they bite you will you be unable to heal over time and have to use a medkit or something like that?

Because in one of the books it says "It was said that the bite of a stray dog never healed..." (I have always assumed they're watchers in game) and I think that would be quite a cool feature to add in to the game, especially since you're trying to accurately represent the world from the books.

15. Akula

Akula Member

Hey, THQ. I recently saw that your stocks have dropped down to 50%.

Does this mean you're cancelling Metro: Last Light? Is something going to happen?

I go on /v/ a lot for news about games. I seriously think you should go check it out. Make a Q&A about what should be implemented.

16. Dyp100

Dyp100 Well-Known Member

Sorry to get in the way of the thread. But come on dude, you don't listen to /v/ for proper analysis. Either way, of course the game isn't cancelled, it's almost done it'd expect. Just polishing now. But I have a feeling Metro LL will either help make or break THQ.

17. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

/v/ isn't that bad, but I see your point.

And guys... THQ isn't going to die any time soon. They're under new leadership, and reorganization is taking a little longer than they expected. In all honesty, March is still Q1, and they probably intended the release to fall in that month. Have some faith.

18. Akula

Akula Member

I know /v/ is an awful place to go to. But usually they're right about things.

I also thought that Metro: Last Light was extended to 2014. Not 2013?

19. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Will ll feature bosses like the one from d6

20. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Will Last Light add to the background behind the Great War of 2013? Specifically, will it provide more information about the involvement of other countries in the war and what they could be like in 2033? As you know, the books do not reveal that much about it - and I do not wish to hear any specific spoilers, just a yes or no will do. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.