Good Gods For Beginners

Discussion in 'SMITE' started by crimsonghost747, Mar 29, 2016.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

A thread to discuss some of the gods that are a bit easier to play and suit new players. If the more experienced players could post for example one hunter, assassin, warrior etc. that in their opinion suits new guys.

I'm a complete newbie so I'm not one to give any real advice, but I thought Thor plays pretty damn well and doesn't have any complicated abilities. Good dmg and that seismic thingy that you can use to block enemies in... love it!

2. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm a complete newbie aswell but I just use Thor because it makes me feel powerful somehow and the fact that he does a lot of damage with a single spell makes it feel easy for me atleast, some gods require more skillcap to play but I feel like that one is just good for beginners, I could be wrong though but that is just my opinion.

3. JusApee

JusApee Well-Known Member
    Regular

As another newbie, I can say Thor, Neith and Cupid are fairly easy. Depends on your playstyle now. If you want something ranged pick Neith or Cupid. If you want a mage, go for Ra, or if you want melee fighter go for Thor or Hercules. I liked those.

4. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd suggest Apollo. High damage, good escapes and fairly easy to play. Also, being a ranged class you can just pew pew from a distance. In fact, the beginners that rack up all those rampages in matches all play apollo.

5. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

Back when I played, Gods like Ra and Ymir were both solid gods that were good and pretty straight forward and easy to play - perhaps that's changed a bit since last, but they're worth trying I think.

6. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am completly agree with you, Apollo might be a great pick if you're a newbie like we are, you should try him if you're looking for something easy to start with.

7. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree with all the Apollo suggestions as well. I started off using him and got great results. Now I moved on, but I always go back to Apollo if I'm having a bad day.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Okay so Apollo certainly seems like something I should try. I'm so glad we have the option to "rent" a god for a day or two even though it is quite expensive. Thanks for the suggestions!

9. ThorEl

ThorEl Member
    Regular

Honestly Apollo may be a little tough to start with. A big part of his kit is ensuring that you play around your passive in order to win trades/get easy kills in fights. Since basic attacks are effectively a skill-shot in this game, and unique to pretty much only this game, I reckon it would be better to learn the basics of the hunter role with a simpler kit such as Neith's. Ra is also an excellent character for you to learn the mage role with, given his very simple kit. However, in general I prefer recommending tankier gods such as warriors and guardians to help new players learn the game. This allows them to contribute effectively to fights with more basic crowd-control focused kits, while the high HP pool of these gods means they will not be punished as hard for making the common beginner mistakes such as wandering out of position into the enemy. Personally I think Ymir is an excellent god to try out as a beginner - easy to execute kit (bar perhaps the 1), reasonably high damage for a guardian and a very high HP pool.

Since you asked for an example of each, I'll provide my personal preference for recommendations to newbies here:

Hunter: Neith, very solid and relatively easy-to-use kit with a solid escape - a good god to learn how to basic attack on.

Mage: Ra, reasons stated above. Just remember the key to mages is to hit your key abilities and then get out of the way until their cool-downs are over, this will increase your chances of survival immensely.

Assassin: Thanatos, while immensely squishy, is an excellent god for you to learn the fundamentals of the assassin role. Immensely high burst-damage, great for pick-offs, very fast-paced when in action, but dreadful if caught out of position or focused - this means timing and positioning are crucial for assassins, as is target-selection (a dead Neith is worth far more than a dead Ymir!). Bear in mind I would recommend leaving this role till last - assassin is very complex and takes a fair amount of game knowledge to get the hang of.

Guardian: Ymir, reasons stated above. Remember your duty is to tank and protect your team-mates and you should be fine.

Warrior: Guan Yu is a pretty solid god to learn the warrior role on, with a pretty solid but easy-to-use kit. Bellona, while slightly more complex, is a great pick too and I'd honestly recommend putting some time into learning her - she is very, very strong.

#9 ThorEl, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  10. Hoppit

Hoppit Member
    Regular

One of the easier picks would be Ra for mid, as he has some good lane clear and sustain. If you're going for duo i would have to say either Neith as an adc, or Ymir as a support. Ymir has a whole heap of damage with cc and is pretty bulky, and Neith is well... Neith, She's pretty high in the tiers and is an excellent pick for a beginner.

For jungle i would say Fenrir, plenty of lifesteal and awesome ganks, build him tanky and just shred those squishies! For solo lane, this is a bit tricky as you can bring pretty much anything there, would have to say Bellona because she's just flat out op and just has so much damage\durability.

Good luck!

11. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member
    Regular

Apollo and Cupid are pretty safe choices, I would say moving to more complicated ones such as Thor isn't a bad move either, it'll force you to have some more awareness of what's going on around you.

12. ToneyWatermeloney

ToneyWatermeloney Active Member
    Regular

Like krnd I'd say try out Apollo and Cupid. I like Fenrir as well though. These seemed like solid gods last time I played, so at least check them out, you know?

13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Apollo is one of the most suggested picks out here, I highly agree, one of the most newbie-friendly god out there. I'd also try out Ra if you plan on going mid.

14. lisasian86

lisasian86 New Member

I've just started playing and Apollo is working well for me, not sure where to go next though really, I'll probably just stick with Apollo until I get better.

15. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeod Active Member
    Regular

I guess gods like Artemis, Neith, Zeus, Ymir, Ra, are all great for beginners. They don't require too much skill, they have a decent spell kit for a beginner and it is easy to farm with them. There are a few others that are marked as "Average" difficulty, but they are not that hard really, like Bacchus or Xbalanque maybe.

16. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin Well-Known Member
    Regular

True.

17. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin Well-Known Member
    Regular

True.