Gog.com

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by TheStalker, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

Well Steam isn't meant to be a form of DRM. Really it's just a way to sync your games and friends together. I also like how everything is organized. It's really the only reason I use steam. Plus they give some good deals sometimes. I remember I picked up Terraria for $2.50, Garry's mod+counter strike source bundle for like $5, I used the humble bundle on it so I also got a bunch of extra games for only $10.

2. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

3. Skaara Dreadlocks

No, Stalker. That's not the whole point of Steam. The reasons Shurfire mentioned are very reasonable, true and valid. The fact that Steam has DRM, though, is not a problem with me at all. I don't care about that. Why would I care about that? I'm very satisfied with the whole organization of steam, really.

4. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Nah man. What I ment is that steam was CREATED for drm purposes.

5. Shurfire

No it wasn't. DRM is made by the creators of the game. Third parties don't make DRM for people. Steam is just a way to get in touch with friends and keep everything organized. For me there is no need to having icons all over my desktop. I can just go to steam and see everything there, my stats, hours I've clocked in. I can also switch games fast, no need to alt-tab out of a game since you can browse the internet while in a game on steam.

6. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

You do realize steam is the drm right? It tracks everything you do sells it the goverment and keeps it in data bases. The whole point of steam was to create a form of drm good for the gamer that connected them. Unfortunately it failed in being drm good for the gamer. If only it had no drm.

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

That seems a little extreme to me. But even if it is true, why would one care? It's not like we're doin anything illegal while playing games in steam? .....Is it?

8. Shurfire

Lol they sell it to the government? What the hell is up with you? It wasn't meant to be DRM it is just a way to connect gamers. If it was DRM it wouldn't allow you to link games that weren't bought from Steam. You can link a pirated game onto steam (though it wouldn't count as a steam game since you didn't use a key).

9. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

I'm not joking man. Your email does the same thing.

10. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

Wrong.

11. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Steam is a f*cking DRM.It works fine while connected to the internet.The infamous OFFLINE mode works only for a brief period of time-a week,two at max.After that the damned thing won't launch your games no matter what you do.It gives you "failed to connect to steam network" and there isn't anything you can do about it.Trust me.I've been through that and recently.In fact i was forced to use cracks (thank God i keep those!) just to be able to play Metro 2033 and F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin.
    I am too happy with Steam and how it works...while ONLINE. OFFLINE is a nightmare.

12. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

from the steam licence agreement

during your session, such as age verification data, this will be stored as a cookie and you will not have to re-enter such information during that session. We may also use third party web site analytic tools that employ cookies to collect certain non-personally identifiable information concerning use of our websites, such as referring web site addresses, page views and browser types.

13. Skaara Dreadlocks

I can understand that Steam can be horrible if you can't always count on being connected to the internet.
    But I can always rest asure that I constantly have internet connection on my PC, which makes Steam perfect for me.

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

This is what I'd say: Steam is great as a platform to track the player's progress in games and connect huge amounts of gamers together, but it's crap for everything else. It's expensive most of the year, but it has really nice sales often... thing is, GOG is cheaper through most of the year and has sales too. Also, Steam is DRM - regardless of what its fans say. If this was politics then Steam is the politician who is trying to reform a totalitarian system, whilst GOG is the rebel who is trying to overthrow the dictatorship.

#34 Bamul, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
  15. cerberus

16. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

If you have a good connection Steam is good if you are like me (i bought simcity :( ) you end up with another Error 37

17. Shurfire

I enjoy Steam. Thing is there are no modern games on GOG. Witcher 2 and Alan Wake are the only ones and they aren't really that modern.

Steam is also not expensive during the year. It's the standard price for a new high end game. Are you going to saying Gamestop is also expensive during the year because they are selling at the standard price? I would buy from GOG but they just don't have games that I want.

18. cerberus

Which is exactly why you should become a member. Buy a couple of good ol' classics when they're cheap and once the service has grown big enough, more modern games will appear. Steam has most of the games I want but I'm not a member and I never will be, simply because of the nature of the service.

19. Shurfire

Like I said before you can't bash Value for creating DRM. They never meant it to be DRM. It was and is just a way to keep your friends and games together. Like how 360 and PS3 work.

I just don't see a lot of the games there my kind of game. Really the only game there that I would like is Witcher 2 and if I would get the Witcher 2 I would get it off Onlive since right now they are having a promotion where if you buy the Witcher 2 you get a free copy off GOG (Which makes no sense since Onlive customers are people who can't run games)

20. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

So for being thick but what's "on live"