Gaming. Desktop vs Laptop.

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by William Quah, Mar 9, 2014.

1. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I prefer a gaming Desktop than using Laptop. Laptop is for people who travels a lot that wants to play while doing it. And it costs more and you can't upgrade it.

2. wulfman

wulfman Well-Known Member

Desktop for sure . There is no contest. I have a laptop but never even take it out of the house. So the one positive about it, the portability, is something I do not make use of.

3. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

I've got to say laptop. My desktop only had so much space and didn't run my games at the right graphics for whatever reason. Eventually, it started corrupting my profile of my characters on Dragon Age by making them floating heads!

But as SOON as I installed it on my laptop, optimal graphics, no slow down, no glitches. So, I have to say that, at least for me, my laptop is a lot more powerful than my desktop ever is for gaming.

4. wulfman

95% of my gaming is done on my PS3. When I do play games on my laptop it is not that bad but I still prefer a desktop hands down.

5. wulfman

Could be you have a much newer laptop. Because I know people that build desktops just because they are hard core gamers. Desktops can be upgraded cheaply as games require higher and higher specs and you can buy a flat screen monitor. Laptops are pretty limited if you are looking for optimal graphics and speed. Unless you buy a state of the art laptop and even then after 6-8 months there are games that are released that won't even run on it.

6. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

I game on my desktop because it's cheaper and gives the best bang for the buck. You can switch out parts on the fly and have better control. The problem with laptops is that it's very expensive for "low powered" hardware in comparison to desktops. Not only that but you're at the mercy of the company that you purchased so getting repairs takes a long time to accomplish.

Sure a laptop is nice for portability but I would rather something that's more powerful and stable to do my gaming on. I have a laptop for portable work and basic entertainment like watching movies, ect.

7. celinejulietdcosta

celinejulietdcosta Well-Known Member

I think laptops are better. In 2014 many high end laptops have released which are suitable for heavy gaming.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

I have a laptop and I do play games on it and I can say that yes gaming on a laptop works well if you're laptop can handle it. But I've been gaming a desktop for a very good reason. Laptop's are portable machines, their compact so you have to deal with the heat if you want to play games on it because gaming takes a lot of power. Also, heat tends to affect the performance of games. Resource heavy games tend to stutter or 'lag' if the laptop gets too hot no matter how fast your video card is.

9. celinejulietdcosta

celinejulietdcosta Well-Known Member

I prefer a good desktop with better specifications than a laptop. Laptops are bot suitable for heavy gaming.

10. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, I love laptops for gaming because of their screen and the design how the keyboard is very close and you can put a mouse next to it, but I believe desktop can perform better always when it comes to games due to it's capacity and structure. I think after all it's subjective and I cannot answer that question, all I can say is I prefer desktop when it comes to games that require a lot of focus, laptop for games that are just for fun like MMORPG, not really going to need a desktop for it.

11. Burt Povski

Burt Povski Well-Known Member

I think gaming on your laptop is super expensive. It really requires you to pay a lot of a good one. Most of the cheap ones are more so for office use rather than gaming use. If you want to game, then a desktop is probably better. But if you want it portable and you have a high budget, then you can go for the gaming laptops.

12. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

To be honest I prefer the desktop one as it easier to built and the price is lower than a gaming laptop that can reach even 2000 dollars with the same specs of a desktop one that would be around 1200. Also the overheating is a problem too as on the desktop you can just buy a heatsink while with latops it's a bit troublesome.

13. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

This is a no-brainer. Desktop PCs are faster and have a brighter LCD or plasma screen although it does not have the portability of the laptop. Wi-fi and internet wise the PC has an advantage because laptops usually don't get full coverage and the stereo sucks on a laptop you have to get a headset.

14. jamesbonner

jamesbonner Active Member
    Regular

I really think that laptop isn't made for gaming actually, it get hot easily ! you can lose it because of gaming, computer are much better and more easy to play with, you can easily update your computer requirement and if something went wrong you can easily fix it !

15. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

The main problem I see when it comes to laptops, is that you pay too much for the portability perk, as opposed to the cheaper Desktop PC that could encompass a lot more better components. So Desktop PC to me!

16. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

Desktop, hands down. I used to try to play on my laptop, but the performance level was never there-- plus, they run hot and even with a fan, you're asking for it to shut down mid-pull. Been there, done that.

17. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I definitely agree that laptops are just not as good for gaming as PCs. However, you can still play quality games on a laptop, just not with high performances you can get on a PC or a console. A buddy of mine works on a desktop and when he comes home, he lays in the bed and plays video games on his laptop because he "sat at a desk the whole day at work".

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

It depends on the hardware but a laptop can be on the same level as a desktop when it comes to gaming. I personally think a desktop is better because of upgrade potential and better cooling but I have a gaming laptop at this moment.

19. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

The only games I play on my laptop are emulators and games I buy from Steam that have low requirements. Everything else gets played on my old desktop simply because it can handle more demanding games and I have a large amount of memory and Ramon it though I plan to replace it soon since I want to have a desktop that can handle the latest games as well as mods (and maybe try my hand at creating a few myself).

20. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Definitely desktop. Gaming laptops are, IMO, a bad idea for multiple reasons.