Gaming. Desktop vs Laptop.

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by William Quah, Mar 9, 2014.

1. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I've seen that many people game on their laptop. Do you think that gaming on a laptop is as good an experience as opposed to a gaming PC? I'm under the impression that laptops can't perform as good as desktop PCs.

2. thejamal

thejamal Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised. Technology these days is incredible. There are plenty of gaming laptops out there that are equal to high end desktop PCs. You'll have to shell out the big bucks obviously, but they are out there.

As far as which is better? It's a matter of which you'd think you'd have more fun on. If you're travelling all the time, having a gaming laptop might be a good idea.

3. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I would only say a gaming laptop is really only people that do a lot of traveling otherwise I feel like your throwing your money away in my opinion.

4. llllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllll Well-Known Member

^This. I mean you should know that laptops are not upgradable, so should you decide to spend huge amount of money buy a gaming laptop then you must buy a laptop with very high-end specs that can pull you for at least another 3 years before you are forced to buy an entirely new unit (remember, you can't upgrade a component/part in a laptop) due to the increase in system requirements of the games in years to come.

5. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

Even if today's laptops can run very well with modern games, the problem with laptops is its limited compatibility range when there is a desire for upgrading hardware. With my desktop, I have 12GB of RAM. How many laptops do you know has 12+ GB of RAM? Also, even if you buy a top-of-the-line gaming laptop, you have to worry about how hot the laptop can get when you're running visuals at max. At least with a desktop, I have six fans that help the heat circulation and exhaust, on top of the GPU fan/HS, CPU fan/HS and RAM fan/HS.

6. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

I prefer my big desktop myself. With a laptop they overheat ALL THE TIME. It's really infuriating and it's something I really don't have the patience to deal with.

7. llllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllll Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. A friend of mine have a gaming laptop which he brought in the office as he wanted me to try a certain game. Just when I was about to finish a stage, the stupid laptop shut down due to overheating. (-_-)

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Been gaming with a laptop for about 5 years now. Overheated... 0 times. If your's overheats all the time then either you bought a horrible one or you're just doing something wrong. I've never had any problems.

That being said, if I wouldn't be on the move so much I'd definitely get a desktop. Cheaper (for the same performance) easier to upgrade and to customise and overall just more suited for gaming. However I'm stuck with a laptop due to my lifestyle.

9. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

Gaming laptops.... HAHAHAHAHAHA. I own a "gaming laptop", but what's the point of having one when you will have to completely replace it after 2 years.. My "gaming laptop" serves as my work computer and I play a few light games like ARMA 2/3 on it.

10. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

I prefer a desktop. The screen is bigger and I am more relaxed on my table when playing games.

11. Teemo

Teemo Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh laptop vs desktop computer debate we meet again! as other have mentioned, technology nowadays took under its wing laptops and made fairly decent beast gaming computers. Sadly, they are quite overpriced, repairs on them are most of the time a no-no and customization is quite limited.

On the other hand you have desktop computers, that been around for ages [ever heard the saying if its working dont fix it] they offer what a laptop can do, and even MORE with less money.

12. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

I hate that you cant fix or upgrade laptops. Seriously, its the worst thing in the world.

13. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Well-Known Member

If you need portability, a laptop is the way to go obviously. One thing to consider though is that a GTX 780 in a laptop is a lot less powerful than a GTX 780 in a desktop.

14. wulfman

wulfman Well-Known Member

Unless you are traveling constantly and playing it is a waste. desktops are one third the price and a way better experience. With game specs changing every so often you can upgrade a desktop easily. Laptops that is not really an option.

15. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

actual laptops and notebooks like Alienware, and some Sony Xperia are far superior to what you'll get on a PC, you'll have to go full custom to get the same kind of power, and that could run you into thousands of dollars, plus laptops are portable, and an unexpected power outage won't affect you, you could continue gaming or have time to save and shutdown.

16. KKrage

KKrage Well-Known Member

I prefer laptops, mainly because it's kind of portable. You can move it place to place, on a PC you cannot, unless you disassemble it. Sadly, laptops have worse graphic cards and stuff.

17. megadelayed

megadelayed Active Member

If I was playing serious games, I tend to be at home on my desktop PC, for the larger screen and higher performance. But if for whatever reason that I was out and had an sudden urge for games, I stick to the more casual titles like LoL, Osu etc. and those games I can run fine on my laptops GT540m.

18. seerymart

seerymart Member

I am very much interest about gaming section. I mostly preferred desktop computer to play.

typing games

19. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I prefer playing on a desktop because gaming desktops are generally cheaper and easier to upgrade the components. Gaming laptops are still quite expensive and they warm up a lot.

20. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Well-Known Member

Well in 2014, you can enjoy pretty much the same experience on a laptop as you can on a desktop. You will probably have to spend a bit more for a laptop with the right specs, but there are many options available in this day and time.